Solved

Constant CPU usage 30-50% on laptop (not during scans)

Badge +3
Hi! On my job laptop i'm constantly getting high CPU usage, somewhat crippling the machine and keeping the fans busy. This goes on for 24/7 no matter if I restart.

Any idea how to fix it?

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 14 January 2020, 23:38

View original

19 replies

I am so f**k’n tired of this. At least once a month, sometimes more.
Fix this, will you!
You already dug around in my computer without finding the problem. And as you can see in this I’m not the only one with this problem.

I just got the same problem as you do, but its at 30%, no lower no higher. Might as well switch to a different AV.

Badge +1

I am so f**k’n tired of this. At least once a month, sometimes more.
Fix this, will you!
You already dug around in my computer without finding the problem. And as you can see in this I’m not the only one with this problem.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Yes, this issue of WR slowing down my computer to a crawl (through excess CPU) happens more often than I would like.

Usually it begins happening after a Windows system update.  Then I have to track the issue down each time to WR, uninstall, reinstall, and the problem goes away.

The problem is that this whole process requires a good deal of technical skill to pull off.   My wife couldn’t do it if I weren’t here to help.  That’s a problem.

I wish WR would find a way to detect and fix this problem without all these Draconian manual steps being needed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @Loonsy 

From here it’s best if you Contact Webroot Support via the Ticket system.

Thanks,

Badge +3

Hello @Loonsy and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

Please do a clean reinstall and let us know if that fixes your issue!

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • Be sure you add your Keycode to your Online Console: Webroot SecureAnywhere Online Console
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Geek Squad Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
  • DO NOT import any old settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done

Thanks,

I followed your steps to a T and this appears to have resolved my issue. Thank you.

UPDATE: This is happening again and is completely unacceptable. 

Badge +3

Hello @Loonsy and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • Be sure you add your Keycode to your Online Console: Webroot SecureAnywhere Online Console
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Geek Squad Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need
  • Reboot once again
  • DO NOT import any old settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done

Thanks,

I followed your steps to a T and this appears to have resolved my issue. Thank you.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello TripleHelix,

Thanks for the reply. I should have tried a reinstall months ago but never quite got round to it. This time  I’m going to do it and I’ll let you know how I got on.

Thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @anf and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

Yes the first step is always to do a clean reinstall as most of the times it does fix most issues.

Thanks,

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I’ve been having similar problems of  high CPU/disk usage for months which never seems to end, no programs open no scan running just Webroot screaming its guts out. Eventually things calm down but this can take half an hour or more. Sometimes I shut down protection for 5-10 minutes then restart and things seem to be OK. I’ll try uninstall/reinstall when I can be bothered and see how that goes. Quite a  while back I did go through all the nonsense of sending a log report/support ticket or whatever it’s called and got a reply saying my file hadn’t uploaded properly try again…….

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @Loonsy and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

• Reboot once again

Thanks,

Badge +3

I am also having this issue. Brand new computer and everything was gravy until I installed Webroot. I tried to open a website in Chrome and my system started running hard. We root is running at “Very high” power usage and won’t stop. It is not doing an active scan when this happens. I’ve had this issue multiple times over the past few days.

Badge +1
This morning webroot automatically updated to version 9.0.26.61.
Guess what? Spikes up 90%+ and processor usage of 100% blocking my cursor.
Logs gathered and sent.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi @stevecosta, @kpax, Could you please upload logs from your respective machines, I would like to have them looked at to understand the root cause. To gather logs:

1. Download Webroot's log-gathering utility from the following link

2. Save the file to your Desktop or the preferred Download folder of your web browser.

3. Double-click the wsalogs.exe file to run it.

4. In the box labeled "Email" enter the same email address you used for this support site.

5. Click the "Go!" button to begin the log gathering process. If you have already done that, please provide me the email address you entered while submitting the logs.

Thanks, Pawani
Userlevel 6
Badge +21
Hello,
Had the problem of scans taking 20 mins on the new update instead of 5 on the old version. Today I have had to shutdown webroot as my pc was slow and freezing. When I checked task managed cpu was running at 100%. Since ive shutdown webroot everything is back to normal. Have already submitted a support ticket and been feel as though I have been fobbed off. They say there is no issue with the update. Not happy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @Ziggysmurfdust and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

I haven't seen these issues on my 2 Win 10 Laptops. But some are seeing longer scan times with v9.0.26.61 see here: https://community.webroot.com/tech-talk-7/slow-scans-339347

1790fcb1-3ea9-45b3-b321-ca8fbc3e85e6.png

You may also Submit a Support Ticket which is free of charge with your active Webroot Subscription. Support may want to gather some information to see why this high CPU issue is happening.

Please let us know the how things are going.

Thank you,

Badge +1
Since a few days I had the same problem. Even CPU usage up to 100%
I deinstalled and reinstalled as mentioend above, but the problem remained.
So finally I deinstalled and reinstalled an older version (9.0.24.99) of which I still had the installer in my downloadfolder. And problem solved... so far.
On my other laptop that still runs on version 9.0.24.99 the problem doesn't occur. So I figured there's something in the update that messes things up.
Running Windows 10 on both laptops.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Do you know which version you're running by chance?
Badge +3
I have to go through the company support to do this as it is controlled by them. Why are you suggesting reinstall? A sensitive part of a system like this should be essential to find the cause no matter what it is. Just "ignoring" it would work for regular consumer products but not a antivirus. It is bad bad practice in my opinion as a software developer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello @kpax

Welcome top the Webroot Community,

Would you please do an uninstall/reinstall of Webroot following instructions below and see if this high CPU issues is fixed?

• Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and DO NOT import any old settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Reboot once again
You may also Submit a Support Ticket which is free of charge with your active Webroot Subscription. Support may want to gather some information to see why this high CPU issue is happening.

Please let us know the how things are going.

Thank you,