Solved

Controlling WRData folder size - help needed

Show first post

195 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi paulderdash

You are most welcome...that is what the Community is here for. :D

Unfortunately, there is no way to link the large .db[numbers].db files to specific [u] prefixed scan log entries...I believe that it has been requested of Webroot...but not forthcoming (but I may be wrong re. that assertion so do not auote me on that ;)).

What I tend to do is only delete those .db files if can relate them to apps that are set to 'Monitor' under 'Block/Allow', etc. (what I sometimes also do if I have found some files set as 'Monitor' is to switch these to 'Allow', especially if I know the app in question, and then check to see which .db files have NOT increased in size since...i.e., not been jornalled since the change in status...and in my view that gives a reasonable indication of which file is linked to which .db file, etc.),

Also I run a manual Deep Scan to try to make as sure as I can ghat the system is clean...can never be 100% sure but that is the best I can do.  I do also carry out an on-demand scan with another, trusted, security app that I use for just this sort of eventuality.  If that comes up clean then I usually go ahead.

Well, may seem convoluted but it does not happen often...and does not take long.

Hope that helps?

Have a great rest of weekend.

Regards

Baldrick

Is it just me or is it exceptionally poor to force a user to uninstall the app, delete the WRData folder and then reinstall (in a particular manner - i.e. not accepting importing prior settings) to deal with this bloat issue??  Also it opens you up to being UNABLE to recover if something bad is in play during this evolution. 

Also, why is it the interface doesn't list those [u] files it is journaling in the GUI like a few other files so you can say "that's a good file, stop watching it"??
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Is it just me or is it exceptionally poor to force a user to uninstall the app, delete the WRData folder and then reinstall (in a particular manner - i.e. not accepting importing prior settings) to deal with this bloat issue??  Also it opens you up to being UNABLE to recover if something bad is in play during this evolution. 

Also, why is it the interface doesn't list those [u] files it is journaling in the GUI like a few other files so you can say "that's a good file, stop watching it"??
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community! Well for one you don't have to as WSA is self cleaning of the journaling dbxxxxx.db files in WRData. 

Also if you look here you can set from Monitored to Allow if you know the processes are safe then the journaling will stop and in a few days the dbxxxxx.db files will be gone and it's best is to Submit a Support Ticket to get the [u] files Whitelisted in the Cloud database. Also if you set to allow you can delete the dbxxxx.db files but again it's best to contact support unless you know for sure the processes are safe. Also if someone does have an issue and suggested to do a clean reinstall and asked not to import prior settings the reason is it keeps some info as well as the settings so we ask them not to import settings and do it clean and set it up as you like afterwords but again only under direction from one of the Webroot Staff or us Expert Product Advisors.

HTH,

Daniel ;)

EDIT: To add as this was fix since the last post in this thread.
Userlevel 7
Welcome to the community TheSQLGuru!

It is ampleasure to have you here!

Browse around, there is a wealth of information here in the community.

We welcome your feedback and hope you will come often and share your experiences!

Beth
The only reason Webroot isn't on 2 of my 3 PC's is that if you use either beta & or not common software WSA will monitor & log all changes, the major problem occurs if the program happens to either delete data or makes changes to your system the data folder can quickly become huge with huge bells on - The small size of the install file is made a mockery of when WSA is motoring a program that is totally benign & the data file can reach many GIG's in size & use up space far, far in excess of the most bloated traditional AV.

Today on my daughters PC WSA is monitoring for example the latest update to Spotify, a rare program? Actually it was on deny, which for me was the final straw with WSA & why I've written this post. And do Webroot really think uninstalling & reinstalling an AV is a reasonable solution to a growing data file, for the average user? - I've read all the arguments for and against a cloud based AV & I've finally decided the cons are far greater than the pro's - I've supported & defended WSA for some time over on Wilders while there was a Prevx / WSA section - For some users who have Office, & the basic programs that are common WSA is a good solution but if you use beta software or use programs that are not the most common it’s not a good solution.

It's OK saying get support to whitelist your files but most people don't feel that their AV should require such major maintenance or have no idea there is the data folder or usually just wonder why C: is getting larger & larger - I no longer recommend WSA & have a cupboard full of unused licenses & have gone back to ESET SS.

Even relatively common programs such as ones from ‘Stardock’ & common ripping software for example don't get whitelisted - And I for one will be moving the last PC away from WSA, this isn't a rant but as a user of Prevx for some time & then WSA I'm moving back to ESET which is a fit & forget solution & frankly that’s what most of the people who use my services want. - The monitoring system may be at times WSA’s ace card but for some it’s a pain in the rear - Other may disagree with me & that's fine but this is my opinion.
Userlevel 7
Hi Martians

Welcome (for what I suspect is a brief moment) to the Community Forums.

Thanks for sharing, and I am sorry that you have had a bad experience.  I certainly test & use many betas, and in fact am one of the first I suspect to update to new releases of apps, and in my own experience the WRDATA folder (which is what you are referring to) rarely exceeds 250MB, if that.  This is because apps that are unknown and that WSA decides to monitor are generally assessed and whitelisted in the Cloud fairly quickly, which then automatically changes them from 'Monitored' to 'Allowed' if good, of course, and then shortly after that WSA now cleans up the left over dbxxxx.db files related to the no longer monitored processes.

This is relatively new and as a result the incidence of large WRDATA folders is now much reduced, base don what we see about this in the Community Forums.  This is of course not full proof and there are instances where some apps are not whitelisted as quickly as would be ideal...and hence there are occurrences of what you have highlighted.

I have not requested whitelisting of apps via Support for sometime now, and even when I did it was just occasionally.

In the case of the latest Spotify version...I have check on my system and it is installed and it is not being monitored, and so is not causing me the issue you have mentioned.  That is not to say that you are incorrect re. what you say...but rather to point out that in many cases it is a one off event.

As you quite rightly point out "The monitoring system may be at times WSA’s ace card but for some its a pain in the rear - Other may disagree with me & that's fine but this is my opinion."...so again, thank yo for sharing...so that users can consider all aspects & views in the discussion...and then make their own mind up...as after all...it is all about what works for the individual.

Have a great weekend, and hope that some day you may change your mind and come back to WSA. ;)

Regards

Baldrick
Balders: The thread has peope in whose Data folder is over a GIG + in size:

Quote just one:

'In spite of Roy's whitelisting I still see my WRData .db files climb to a couple of GBs (currently WRData folder > 6GB) every couple of weeks. I can do a clean install every time, but it this hardly makes it a set and forget solution'

I admire your spirited defence of WSA, but for example 'Softmaker Suite' (an office suite) my daughter also has on had a SP today & is unlikely to get whitelisted (it never has been before in last 3 SP’s until I sent the files off) I use 'DB Power Amp' & associated programs, never did get whitelisted until I sent off the 'U's' - It is a major flaw in the AV, As I've installed WSA on quite a few systems (20 ish) the WSA folder on some have been huge - I maintain most people don't realise there is a even is a Data folder & as they don't image regularly have no idea how big C: is - I can’t be the only user who has ‘Stardock Window Blinds’ on, yet those remained unknown until a few weeks back when I send all my daughters unknowns off & frankly I have better things to do.

What I will do is use WSA on this PC for one month from today & monitor in all honestly my WRData folder - Fair enough? ( I may be proven wrong?)

EDIT: Not a good start this PC has not has WSA on before & Spotify latest in on deny, this update has been rolled out over the last 2 weeks + (I'm not on the beta channel)  (Version: 0.9.11.27.g2b1a638c) 

Sat 19-07-2014 14:59:13.0999 Blocked process from accessing protected data: C:UsersPaulAppDataRoamingSpotifyspotify.exe [Type: 1]
Sat 19-07-2014 14:59:56.0263 Determination flags modified: c:userspaulappdata
oamingspotifyspotify.exe - MD5: 52FD61AFC3D2BF55226A7E5AC8C06673, Size: 6162488 bytes, Flags: 00240000 (Manually changed) 

Neither can I paste into Textmaker, which is also on deny - (I only know from experience this is WSA stopping this function, others would probably would wonder what was happening & probably reinstall this program to no avail, as no warning has been given that or why cut & paste doesn't work (I've had several phone calls from users of WSA wondering why cut & paste don't work &  none assumed it was WSA) - This was the subject of a thread months ago yet still is an issue. (Manually changed)

Determination flags modified: c:program files (x86)softmaker office professional 2012 extmaker.exe - MD5: 2C97CD6F088D396034071268FB847DE7, Size: 15562288 bytes, Flags: 00000100 (Manually changed)

See the problems in ten minutes I have had with WSA, that just do not occur with other AV's, those are 2 issues those who no nothing about WSA or PC's in general would have problems with, try telling my mother-in-law or my neighbour /sister-in-law how to change settings in ‘Control Active Processes' ~

Userlevel 7
Martians

My post was not to refute anything you stated or your view which you are completely entitled too...of course.  Nor was it to defend WSA...with 30+ million users worldwide it hardly needs defending.

It was to say that whilst what you say is true in some cases in the vast majority of cases most users have not experienced this issue in the past and that due to the changes made in recent releaseof WSA it is even less likely to happen today.

But as I said before, what you say is correct, if one suffers from the problem.  And even then the example of the latest Spotify...not happen for me as you have described it...so I am fortunate or you are unfortunate...it can be viewed from both aspects...and that is what my post was trying to do...not to disparage your view or experience.

If you felt that it did do that then please accept my apologies. :$, as it was not my intent.

EDT:  Just checked my version of Spotify and it looks to be the same as yours...I have never been bothered by any issue with it such as described and have never requested whitelisting...so I cannot explain why you are experiencing the issue and I am not...but that is just my point, for some people WSA will not do the business but for many it will...otherwise Webroot would have cleaned up by now in the security app market.

Regards

Baldrick
This is not a personal attack on you Baldrick, if it seems like that I am very sorry !

It's just issues with WSA that were there 2 years ago are still around, I've had WSA on 10 mins & had to change 2 programs from deny, this should not still be happening, just as an example when ‘cut & paste’ don't work most users will have no idea why, some sort of warning should be given & a fix it option, this has been an issue for 2 years or more.

BTW Spotify was on deny on 2 PC's in this house not just one, my daughter did not know why her playlists would not work, I guessed it was WSA.

It's no good me ditching WSA & getting a heap of others to do the same without saying why I think, WSA has some great advantages, I'm not here to troll, I'm actually interested in getting some things in WSA fixed.

Userlevel 7
Certainly did not take it as such, Martians, but thanks for caring in case I did. :D

I have no issue with what you say other than it needs to be put into context...otherwise many might think that it is a general issue...which, in my experience, it was once but no longer is...that is all.

I will not be patronsing and suggest that you contact the Support Team about it...I am sure that you have in two years of sufferng with the problem...so as you say most likely WSA is not for you and you will be better off/happier with Eset or another equally robust solution.

Either way I wish you well, and hope that what ever you eventually decide it turns out to be the best for you.

Regards

Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi Martians and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

WSA is very protective of your system and I/we have no problems as the outdated rollback files was fix as I said in this thread on the first page: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Controlling-WRData-folder-size-help-needed/m-p/75341#M5416

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Also you can't compare WSA with any other AV's as it's completely new technology and it's the future and sorry but it's here now! Do you know there are over 120,000 new malware released dally and the other AV's how are they going to keep up with the WIN Cloud? Definitions? You could be infected already but with WSA it can rollback to the pre-infection state see this simple video: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-Education/What-Happens-if-Webroot-quot-Misses-quot-a-Virus/ta-p/10202 and it can also rollback CrytoLocker and if you have an hour watch this informative video: https://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/8241/95617

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I have been in this thread before. I had gone through a whitelist process and reinstall then, and some reinstalls since.
Does the auto-cleanup keep 1 month data? I notice my oldest .db file is a month old.
But it does get to 6GB in that time! Not that space is an issue for me, though it would lengthen imaging times.
So I guess I also deserve that badge for running a lot of cool, obscure programs 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I have been in this thread before. I had gone through a whitelist process and reinstall then, and some reinstalls since.
Does the auto-cleanup keep 1 month data? I notice my oldest .db file is a month old.
But it does get to 6GB in that time! Not that space is an issue for me, though it would lengthen imaging times.
So I guess I also deserve that badge for running a lot of cool, obscure programs :-)
Correct and if you are "running a lot of cool, obscure programs" then it's best to send in scan logs to support and get them whitelisted and ask them why it's not removing my old Rollback dbxxxx.db files then let us know maybe it got broken and I would like to see there reply, because I don't have this issue.

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Well, paulderdash...I would be happy to award you that accolade, except that I also run some pretty obscure stuff and the latest betas of a lot of apps, and as I said before...I have seen the WRDATA folder size peak at just over 1GB a while back but since the function release that Daniel mentioned...I have never seen it peake about 500MB...and most of the time it is no higher than 250MB if that.

So perhaps you should have the accolade after all...:D
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
OK - will send a latest scan log and ask the question (tomorrow).

Rgds - Paul
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:

Rgds - Paul
Sure and I would like to see @ do so as well and see his reply from support!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Rgds - Paul

Thanks,

Daniel ;)
Ditto, that, Daniel...as whilst we might be having problems with the WRDATA size it is clear that Martians & pualderdash still are...which needs to be investigated. :(
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Rgds - Paul

Thanks,

Daniel ;)
Ditto, that, Daniel...as whilst we might be having problems with the WRDATA size it is clear that Martians & pualderdash still are...which needs to be investigated. :(
I agree Baldrick. Since Martians post, I have been monitoring WRDATA on my computer. Also compared the size to the copy I had saved from a previous un/re. 

As it does grow over time, I am curious to know what the size would be on a computer that never has done an un/re. Is there a max size cap? 

Beth
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
No cap if you had and unknown infection it (could) fill your whole C drive but highy unlikely.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Hi Beth

As Daniel pointed out in an earlier post...take a look at the following as it explains whe nand what was changed to keep the size of WRDATA in check:

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Controlling-WRData-folder-size-help-needed/m-p/75341#M5416

There is no cap but rather it works on the basis of when monitored files are no longer monitored, i.e., they are classed as 'good/safe', and how long ago that determination was made/monitoring turned off, etc.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
To add what Solly said the WIN network also looks at how many users are using a certain unknown program and I have seen at times when in contact with support I'm the only 1 as I do Beta Testing as well and even for Microsoft Products, so I know I need to get them Whitelist I find it no big deal to get [u] unknown files whitelisted and support is happy to do so and again WSA should be clearing out old Monitoring dbnumbers.db files.

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Thanks Solly, I had read that, but it did not answer my question. When your idea you posted is implemented, I wont have a question anymore, LOL!
It never is a problem to get support to whitelist files I agree entirely, but my point was I did an install on a fairly new PC & within 10 minutes of install Spotify would not work & I could not cut & paste out of a well known German office suite - That was the beginning, I also had problems with DB Power Amp Ripper & with Ashampoo Photo Commander 12, & of course all the other modules in the office suite would not allow cutting & pasting either, that's when I decided I'd had enough of WSA yet again.

Now if I was a new customer or indeed a person I'd recommended WSA too how do these people know it's the AV program that's preventing copy & pasting, or stopping Spotify working I’ve highlighted the part from the scan log that showed Spotify being blocked & the results of my moving it to allow.

My simple point is WSA can be a high maintenance AV, people generally don't know or want to know about scanning, saving or viewing the log then sending the 'U's to support to be whitelisted - To prevent monitoring & issues today I would have had to contact support to get files whitelisted, (and more importantly known it was WSA causing the issues)  the far simple solution was to image C: back to earlier today & use ESET - If people don't understand the implications of this small & far shorter experiment than was intended I give up - ESET doesn’t use 250 meg of space & certainly never ever half a gig.

It seems some of the marketing & or when tested the fact that as WSA would fit on an old floppy the end result is (by implication?) also little that space used, this is all to often not the case esp. if the person uses slightly uncommon programs, & from my experience most users of WSA have never seen the size of the DATA folder, which may explain why it isn’t as larger issue as it could be IMO - I realise many files are whitelisted a day but my little experiment I feel showed rather quickly why I’ve given up on WSA.

In all the time I've used ESET not once have I had to contact support., ever. As for WSA being new I’ve used to since the end of Prevx so it hardly new technology?

EDITED