Solved

Daemon tools lite installer throws 'threat detected", is it dangerous?

• 24 July 2014
  • 9 replies

I'm getting a warning about malware group W32.LocalInfect.1 from dtsetuphelper.ese. I downloaded from daemon tools website daemon-tools.cc
icon

Best answer by Rakanisheu Retired 24 July 2014, 16:48

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Last time I ran Daemon tools it contained loads of junkware with it. Let me check it again.
Userlevel 7
This is a false postive and not dangerous, it shouldnt be detected and I am working on it right now.You may un-quarantine and restore the file that was quarantined by the Webroot SecureAnywhere software if you have not already done so. To restore the file:

1. Open on the cog icon next to PC Security.
2. Click the Quarantine tab.
3. Click the check box next to the filename, then click Restore.

c:programs and settingsadmindtsetuphelper.exe

[I dont have the exact path from your PC but the file name will be same]

Now that this change is in effect, we request that you run another scan of your computer (click "Scan My Computer" on the main overview window).  If the same detection occurs, please let us know immediately.

Thanks!

Thanks, dequarantined and ran 'scan my computer' which is obviously not a deep scan, but no threats were found, it was clean.

Thanks
Dave
Userlevel 4
Hello DBH369,

The deep scan is the defualt scan that is set for Webroot SecureAnywhere. So if you ran a scan then you are taken care of. Thanks for bringing this false positive to our attention.

Thanks,
John A.
Webroot Frontline Engineer
Userlevel 6
It's a bit offtopic but what does the term "localinfect" stand for?
I'm just curious as it doesn't look like a malware familiy name.
Userlevel 7
Hello https:///t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/27104dbh369, welcome to the community!

Glad to see you got things taken care of.

Come back often and share your experiences !

Beth
Userlevel 7
Local infect can mean a number of things, possible file infector or the user has manually blocked a file so its a local determination.
I have a similar issue and found this post from a year ago.  I use Daemon Tools Lite.  Webroot just started detecting dtshellhlp.exe as a threat.  I've had them both installed for a while, so I'm not sure what changed or why it's detecting it just in the last few days.  I assume as in this post, it's safe to keep the file?
Userlevel 4
Hello @,

We would like you to go to our support page and start a ticket so we can track this better.

To access our ticketing system please click here.

Thanks,
John M.
Advanced Malware Removal Engineer