Solved

Default set and forget?

Userlevel 2
I had webroot set to where the set and forget option was selected. If I had it set on "set and forget" but everything else on that list set on maximum and self protection was set to maximum and all heuristics were set to maximum and basically everything else set to max, would that have compromised my security when compared to having everything set the same way but with the "set and forget" option set to the middle instead of the "set and forget side"?
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 18 May 2013, 02:30

View original

30 replies

Userlevel 7
You should be fine with the all default settings. WSA is an application we can call as "install and forget". WSA's default settings are pre-configured in a way that you don't need to tweak them. Of course you're free to adjust the settings as per your needs or wish.

As for the heuristics settings, I have all heuristics set to max. without any issues. Though I am not playing with applications so often, so my PC set up is almost stable without changes, only updates and patches are installed. You may be interested to read in WSA user guide about heuristics settings.
Userlevel 2
Okay, but would having had it set to set and forget put my PC at risk? And do you have a link instead of a download?
Userlevel 7
Hello Cloud,

Having WSA set for "Set and Forget" will not generally leave your PC at risk.  In situations in which you know you customarily engage in high risk behavior in terms of exposure to malware, or if you suspect you already have malware on the computer, raising the settings to MAX can be a help, but for most people and situations the Set and Forget settings are quite sufficient.

@ wrote:
Okay, but would having had it set to set and forget put my PC at risk? And do you have a link instead of a download?
If you mean is there a link to which you can access the download, but not the actual download itself, try this Redownload Here page.
Userlevel 7
Cloud, the link Pegas posted is a link and not a download. It just says "download" in the URL. If you click it, it opens in the browser.

You are not at risk from running WSA at normal settings. In fact, you're probably better off in most situations. That is why the default settings are set as they are. By cranking heuristics to maximum, you are more likely to hit a false positive on a good file. As Pegas mentioned, he doesn't run many new files, so it suits his computer usage habits better. However, on the other side of the spectrum, somebody who downloads a lot of new programs might be more likely to have a false positive for that reason if the heuristics are at maximum.

edit: David beat me to it 😛
Userlevel 2
And one more thing I wanted to ask. The medium setting is the default for the "set and forget" slider? It seems like it was set to the set and forget side of the slider by default, but I may be remembering it wrong.
Userlevel 7
"Reset to defaults" is taking the top slider all the way to the left for me. You're not seeing the same behavior?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
This is default settings!

TH

Userlevel 2
Alright, thank you for that. I thought that was the case. I wanted everything set to max because I do not know for sure if any site is totally safe. Even on seemingly safe sites malware can be hidden in an ad.
Userlevel 2
Oh, and I didn't want to set it at default to test it as I was uncertain if that would reset everything to default, which I really don't want to happen, or just that page.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Oh, and I didn't want to set it at default to test it as I was uncertain if that would reset everything to default, which I really don't want to happen, or just that page.
Just to let you know I have all my sliders to the Right without issues.

HTH,

TH
Userlevel 2
Yeah, it's just so... low maintenance compared to other AV suites that I wonder if it's even working. So that's part of what had me wondering. And why not set all the stuff to max? I mean, it's so light weight that it doesn't harm anything to do that. Webroot support gave me this answer "If you leave the settings at default the way we recommend you will be protected without question. If you start changing the settings to something else then you are going at your own risk, just be careful you know what settings you are changing so you do not lessen your protection with us." when I was asking about this and whether it would effect my security. I guess it's not so easy to say given the differences in systems. But how could having it set to max do any harm if not slowing down your system?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I agree I have my family and friends on default and no problems it just sits there until you reach a bad website or download a file that's actually malware then it jumps in like a Wild Cat! 😃 And if you do set to Max there is no extra load on the system mine is always around 3 to 5MB of RAM and very low to none of the CPU.

TH
Userlevel 7
Set all the way to max it will be a lot more picky and may 'flag' things that are not a problem.  All that means is that you may get more warnings... I have run mine with everything set to max and the only thing it flagged was something my wife had managed to get on the computer.
Userlevel 7
Setting to max has given me fps and I've reported them. I don't use the max setting anymore.
Userlevel 7
Amit, setting all to max. doesn't necessarily mean immediate problems, it's question of how you use your PC, if you're installing like a hell and so on you may have some issues. I have the following settings applied without issues.

Userlevel 7
Yeah you're right. But it does give you fps gradually and eventually with maxed out setting. I find them, report them, get annoyed, frustrated and bang my head in regret of ever trying out the max setting. So you get the idea.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Amit you would only get that if you use not well known software no fp's here for quite along time. And I have these settings for Max security but again it's not for everyone.

Daniel

Userlevel 7
To be honest, during the time I spent with ssettings at max I didn't have any fp's either. I do believe that I am going to set it back to max everything.
Userlevel 6
Hi
I'm a beginner with WSA-C and this topic is very inetresting for me !
My questions are:
1/ What are the settings used when WSA-C was tested for malwares, virus detection ?
2/ What are the settings used when WSA-C was tested for performance tests like benchmark ?
3/ Are the default settings enough for an optimum protection ?
Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Hello again Asklepios!

I am not sure of the answers to 1 and 2, but I think I know #3.

The default settings are set that way as that is enough for protection in most situations: Webroot would set them higher if it wasnt suitable.  For computers that are suspected of being infected, the higher settings can be used.  That said, there are quite a number of the Community members who have set everything for Maximum without any negative effects on performance.
Userlevel 7
I am going to add this: my ASSUMPTION is that the default settings were used during tests.  It would be the easiest way when testing multiple solutions to simply test them as they run by default.
Userlevel 7
I would advise leaving the defaults and not setting WSA to its maximum its what I recommened and what I use on my home and work PC. As for what settings that are used when WSA is being tested they are supposed to use the defaults.
Userlevel 6
Thanks David and Raka !
Userlevel 7
Asklepios, I beg to differ with Roy and David ... yeah, I am sometimes rebellious :D

As I said in this thread setting all to max. doesn't necessarily mean immediate problems, it's question of how you use your PC, if you're in/unstalling often you may have some issues. Nevertheless I have all heuristics set to max. without any issues but I am not playing with applications, so my PC set up is almost the same without changes, only updates and patches are subject to installation.

So, you don't need to be afraid to max. the settings, at least to try it, just keep in mind how you use your machine. ;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I agree with pegas and if you do have issues you can go back and set to default if necessary!

HTH,

Daniel