Solved

Defrag

• 21 January 2013
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 6
  • Community Leader
  • 324 replies
I use Webroot's System Analyzer.  (System Tools>System Analyzer>Start).  One of the results relates to defrag.

I always defrag my drives ... with regularity.  My drives are not fragmented.  Yet, I almost always get this result after using System Analyzer:  "A large number of fragmented files have been found."

I don't believe this readout is accurate.  I think Webroot's System Analyzer is giving me false reads.

BTW, why don't you have a "defrag" feature that allows you to defrag your drives?
icon

Best answer by JimM 22 January 2013, 02:23

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
If you have an amount of space on the hard drive that is lower than is necessary to defragment a very large file, that very large file may remain fragmented even after defragmenting the drive.  That is the most logical explanation without any additional data to go off of

There is no defragmenter built into Webroot because that is already an easily-accessible and very reliable feature in Windows itself.

Next time you run Windows disk defragmenter, look to see if there is any red space left in the final graph.  If so, Webroot is referencing those still-fragmented files.  If you free up sufficient space on the hard drive for those files to be defragmented and then run disk defragmenter again, the subsequent graph will contain no red indicators, and System Analyzer will not report that you have fragmented files.

If you do not have any red space in the resulting graph when running disk defragmenter, please consult support via the support system, and they can take a deeper look for you.  We would need logs in such a scenario to make a more precise determination, and the support system is better equipped for the log collection process.
Userlevel 6
JimM, there is very little, if any, red space on my graph after I've done a Microsoft defrag.  I will check with Webroot support to try to find a solution to the problem.

It has been suggested to me by Microsoft Tech Support that as hard drives age, they are less efficient at performing tasks such as a defrag.  If this is correct, I'd like to confirm that because it may prompt me to replace my hard drive.
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
MS tech support is very much correct in what was stated to you.I myself have never used an hd longer than 5 years.Every few years i usually swap out my hd,power supply,and graphics card on some of my systems.What i
ve noticed on systems i've worked on is there are usually a lot of fragments related to system restore if system restore is left to do it's thing without checking up on it.Being i backup up at least twice a week,i usually clear my restore points.Try deleting your system restore points then defragging and then running the system analyzer.I have say i have had no issue with System analyzer in this regard,but then again i do not use windows built in defragger,i use Diskeeper on my systems and have done so since it's inaugural edition.
Userlevel 6
Thanks, Superssjdan.  That was helpful.  How do I go about deleting my system retore points?   I'll give it a try and report back.
Userlevel 7
Superssjdan said:
"MS tech support is very much correct in what was stated to you.I myself have never used an hd longer than 5 years"

I am very curious about this.  Is that because of the buildup of unmovable files, or the development of bad sectors on the HDD?      Or some other reason?
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
All of the above and then some.The actual physical disk does deteriorate over time,and significantly after several years.Also,I personally never turn my systems off,so it does not endure the stresses some people put on their drives by constant turn on and turn off.Over time you will encounter more and more fragments and more frequently and it becomes tiresome.I suppose to each his own,but i have never been a big supporter of built in windows defragger,which happens to have originally been developed by Diskeeper Corp.A good defrag program will actually help you prolong the life of your hd.Diskeeper is usaully the first or 2nd program i buy each year and covers pretty much every conceivable base.
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
i have never been a big supporter of built in windows defragger,which happens to have originally been developed by Diskeeper Corp.A good defrag program will actually help you prolong the life of your hd.Diskeeper is usaully the first or 2nd program i buy each year and covers pretty much every conceivable base.
All the more reason for Webroot to consider integrating a defragger in its repetoire!  After all, System Analyzer does generate a report on the process!

Does anyone have any thoughts about having Webroot integrate a defragger in its repetoire?
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
One of the things i like most about Webroot is the fact that it's so light.Once you start adding on modules like defragging and antispam..etc..it becomes much heavier.If Webroot believes there is a function within the os that performs the task sufficiently then it's pointless to add the feature.I mean,if Webroot were to add defrag,i would not object,but i tend to stick to what i know works for me.I guess it's all about what you are looking for from your defragger and what you use your system for and whether all the bells and whistles a defragger like Diskeeper are needed in your setup.Some of the competition has a defragger built in..i.e norton and their idle time optimization,but said solutions are quite a bit heavier and most users i know just disable it anyway to gain some added resources.I personally am happy with the Webroot suite the way it is.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
One of the things i like most about Webroot is the fact that it's so light.Once you start adding on modules like defragging and antispam..etc..it becomes much heavier.If Webroot believes there is a function within the os that performs the task sufficiently then it's pointless to add the feature.I mean,if Webroot were to add defrag,i would not object,but i tend to stick to what i know works for me.I guess it's all about what you are looking for from your defragger and what you use your system for and whether all the bells and whistles a defragger like Diskeeper are needed in your setup.Some of the competition has a defragger built in..i.e norton and their idle time optimization,but said solutions are quite a bit heavier and most users i know just disable it anyway to gain some added resources.I personally am happy with the Webroot suite the way it is.
I second you. Nobody wants WSA to become a bloatware.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I second you. Nobody wants WSA to become a bloatware.
I agree. Keep Webroot light and no bloatware. Not many problems on this forum compared to other security software forums. WSA should keep as is, focus on Security not bloatware. 😉
Userlevel 7
One of the problems that some of the competitors have is that they try to do too much.  Security Software does not have to be all-in-one-maintain-everything software.  In other words... I agree with the above: keep WSA light and don't turn it into bloatware without real need to do so.
Userlevel 6
Good point.  I agree.  The only reason I suggested it in the first place is because fragmentation is reported on System Analyzer.
Userlevel 7
We are looking at ways to build upon System Analyzer and how we can implement further advice for users once a report is given.

It is really more of a tool for users to diagnose system performance and possible issues with hardware and software so that they can troubleshoot and possibly even save money by taking a proactive approach on machine maintenance.
Userlevel 6
Well, after running a number of tests, I've concluded that my disk defrag problem is related to my hard drive going south after about six years.  Time to replace it.

Oddly, I would not have known this had I not run WSA System Analyzer, since my Microsoft defragger always indicated that my defrag session was completed successfully, with very little red space and very few fragments.

One thumbs up for WSA!
Userlevel 7
RWM wrote:
"Oddly, I would not have known this had I not run WSA System Analyzer, since my Microsoft defragger always indicated that my defrag session was completed successfully, with very little red space and very few fragments."

I don't think that to be very odd at all: There is a reason that Webroot and other security software companies still thrive even with Windows Defender, same as the numerous 3rd party system utilities even though Windows has these built in.  It has long been known that while you can get by with the utilities built into Windows, they are really not very good.  :S
Userlevel 6
Computer issues are becoming entirely too complex.  I used to believe anti-virus software does a good job protecting against malware.  Now, I use good anti-virus software and good anti-malware software.  It looks like I'll be shopping around for good defrag software.  Will it ever end?
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Computer issues are becoming entirely too complex.  I used to believe anti-virus software does a good job protecting against malware.  Now, I use good anti-virus software and good anti-malware software.  It looks like I'll be shopping around for good defrag software.  Will it ever end?
Nope. As long as you use a computer, it will never end!