Solved

Desktop Icon

• 17 December 2016
  • 1 reply

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents here but I seriously HATED the persistent Webroot shortcut on my desktop!!!  I kept trying to delete the **bleep** thing from my desktop like I can for EVERY OTHER thing in the entire world but it kept coming back which needless to say it began to severally VEX me!  :@   So, I did just about everything I could think of to fix this ANNOYING problem which ate up MY valuable time thus the reason why I'm here.  You know the saying "First impressions are lasting impressions"!  Thank goodness this is something that can be fixed but why should I have to fix this????  I read on a different post that Smarter Cybersecurity has no intention of changing this broken feature.  Hmm...wonder how they thought that this would be a happy thing for its unsuspecting customers?  With ALL OTHER softwear in the entire world they ASK if you want a shortcut put on your desktop and they do that out of respect and giving their customers the FREEDOM of choice.  Smarter Cybersecurity let me please suggest this if I can, why dont you guys create a popup for this option explaining excatly what happens and where to go in the program to disable this lovely feature incase they decide later that they dislike it.  Main thing is just let the customer know about this so they are not violenty smashing thier forhead on the keyboard clueless as to why your shortcut keeps reapearing on THEIR desktop after they moved it ot deleted it.  Thanx and sorry for the tone of frustration in my post but it would be nice to help prevent this from happening to others!  😉
icon

Best answer by BurnDaddy 17 December 2016, 06:12

View original

1 reply

Hi BobV,

Welcome to the Webroot Community.

Not quite sure what you mean by "Smarter Cybersecurity has no intention of changing this broken feature." It's really simple to remove the Desktop icon.

Open WSA and click on Advanced settings in the upper-right corner.

Then simply uncheck the box for "Show Desktop Icon" and click "Save".

That's it, and it won't come back either. (I don't like the Desktop icon showing either.)

Please come back anytime, especially if you have trouble with something. One of us will be more than happy to help, and it will be easier on your head and keyboard. ;)

BTW, I have installed dozens of programs over the years that have put a Desktop icon on the desktop without asking. Malware has been known to remove AV Desktop icons and Start menu shortcuts in attempt to keep users from controlling their AV, which is why, if it's deleted, it returns. Since Webroot is a Security product that is sometimes managed by an administrator, there are certain options that are protected. This is why this option exists in the Advanced Settings, as these settings can also be locked with a password to keep users of managed systems (or your kids or idiot brother) from changing important settings or removing icons from the Desktop, Start menu, System Tray, etc.

Hope this info helps,

BD