Solved

desktop pc shows unknown acct, webroot seems fine though

Userlevel 4
My desktop is displaying a person silhouette icon, and the letters BBY_TESTACCT when I tap that: "Change account picture...Lock and Sign out" appear.   Below these is another silhouette icon with my initials next to it.   When I tap my icon it shows up in a larger size with my initials to right of it & my email address below them.  To the left of  "my" silhouette is a left facing arrow.  I tap this arrow & both icons appear side by side-the left one: "BBY_TESTACCT & the words signed in" .  My icon has my initials under it. I am really hesitant to be tapping anything because I don't know what I am doing .  I checked webroot & everything looks ok... Could I have checked in the wrong area?  Thank you
icon

Best answer by Rakanisheu Retired 10 March 2015, 10:32

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi notpcwise

Can you look here and see if this applies to you.

Here is an article  from Microspft help http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-security/how-do-i-delete-user-accounts-on-windows-8/681c56f4-426d-4bc4-b667-2e7f1214852a

Check your Users Accounts in the Control Panel and delete the one you aren't using or rename your account and you could even put in a Password that will protect your windows Administrator Account.and other users.

Look here for Creating an Account http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-New-User-for-Windows-8

Hope this helps and if it doesn't then please get back to us.

Kind Regards,
Userlevel 4
Oh my goodness Miss Sherry, can I adopt you?:D I was really freaking out about this!  Before I read your response (I had tried getting to this other account to delete it and could not get to it.)  So in the meantime I did what I thought was the next best thing, and created a password for this account since it had none.  My reasoning was whoever created it wouldn't be able to get into it themselves.  But with the links you provided I found out how to get into this account and did delete it.  *Whew* I really love this technology and am constantly in awe of the things it allows me to do....but I have to admit it also gives me new gray hair...and I didn't think that was even possible:S Thank you so very much. (I just wish this was around when I was growing up!!) You have no idea how much I appreciate this!!  
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello notpcwise,

I've always have been in awe of computers as well. ;)

That's wonderful that this was resolved for you. Thank you for your kindness and appreciation.

If you have anymore questions then feel free to ask because there is a lot of knowledgeable people here in this Forum!

Regards, 🙂
Userlevel 4
I love the people on this website!  You and the folks:D here make this site what is through your time and patience and I cannot thank you enough.  One more question, can one make a general comment for everyone to read and where would I put such a comment?  Thank you again. :D
Userlevel 7
I`ll take a guess that BBY_TESTACCT, stands for Best Buy Test Account. Its probably the account naming convention they use in Best Buy when setting up PC's. Did you best this PC in Best Buy?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello notpcwise!

Yes, we are very proud of our Webroot Community and it makes helping others worthwhile with appreciative people as yourself. So on that note Thank you!

You can post anything you'd like in the non-techie if you'd like. Or you can introduce yourself here as well. But when you do post we all can read your replies.

Here is some information in the Knowledge Base Getting Started if you want more information .

Have a great day notpcwise!! Which you sound wise to me..;).
Userlevel 4
Hi Rakanisheu, yes I did buy it at Best Buy in Feb. 2014 and had to bring it in for repair in Oct. 2014.  Although I already had webroot on it, I purchased a new webroot at the same time I picked it up from being repaired.  This new account just showed up a day or two ago though.  Your  guess of the new account standing for Best Buy... sure fits the initials used.  Do you know why they would do it so long after I purchased it and what it is for?  I am so uniformed in so many things computer that any thing that I don't expect kind of scares me.  Thank you giving me an explanation, it really relieves my mind.:D 
Userlevel 4
Miss Sherry, Thank you again for helping me navigate! ;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Oh no problem! You are so fun! Give us holler if you need anything else! 😉
Userlevel 4
Hi again Rankanisheu, I made a small mistake and posted my response to you under Miss Sherry's post....looks like I still have some things to get used to.  Sorry for my mis-step. :S
Userlevel 7
Creating a temp profile for repairs is quite common, we have to do it sometimes if a users profile gets corrupt or damaged. Nothing to be alarmed about, you can remove that profile from the users control panel if you want. There is no harm in having a second profile though, its a good fallback. 
Userlevel 4
Hi Rakanisheu, thank you for explaining it to me....I was really alarmed about it.  Now I feel a little silly about it (but to too much) :8  Thank you