Solved

Difference Betwen "System Cleaner" and "Clean Up Now"

• 21 January 2013
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 6
  • Community Leader
  • 324 replies
What's the difference between System Cleaner (Overview>System Cleaner>Cleanup Now)  and "Cleanup Now" (System Tools>Cleanup Now)?

What does Cleanup Now clean up?

Why don't you combine the functions?

If Cleanup Now removes such things as temp files, why not have it do a defrag as well?
icon

Best answer by JimM 22 January 2013, 02:49

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
It's the same function.  They are just different ways of getting there.  The one on the main screen was added because it's a common function people use a lot, and it's easier to get to.

The answer to your defragmentation question is in this other thread.
Userlevel 6
JimM, I'm surprised at your answer, because "Clean Up Now" usually takes significantly longer to process than "System Cleaner."

Can you tell me precisely what "Clean Up Now" cleans up?  The reason I ask is because I regularly use the Micrsoft accessory called "Disk Cleanup."   It cleans up the following:  downloaded program files, temporary internet files, offline web pages, recycle bin,  temporary files,  web/client publisher temporary files,  compress old files,  and catalog files for the content indexer.
Userlevel 7
Well, System Cleaner is the only WSA component I could easily miss in WSA without hesitation. I used it once but noticed later that it deleted also some settings for one translation application which are stored in temp directories (yes it's stupid but say it to developers). Normaly I have all this files whitelisted in CCleaner. However I didn't realize that WSA doesn't have an option to exclude files/folders from cleaning. So it ended up in tweaking of translator settings again. Since then never run WSA cleaner and relying on CCleaner that is more comprehensive and enables you to tweak settings better.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
 CCleaner that is more comprehensive and enables you to tweak settings better.

And it's FREE! 😃
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
 CCleaner that is more comprehensive and enables you to tweak settings better.

And it's FREE! :D
Thanks PTD for reminding me, how could I omit this ... 😃
Userlevel 7
RWM, If you'd like to demonstrate to yourself that it's the same function, click Cleanup Now on the Overview page, and while it's still running click Cleanup Now from the other location in System Tools. You'll observe that it says "Another system cleanup is already in progress."

Both methods of running it use the settings found in Cleanup Settings on System Tools > System Cleaner > Cleanup Settings. Also, if you run a second cleanup right after the first one, the second one will necessarily take less time since most things have already been cleaned by the first run.
Userlevel 6
JimM, but what about Pegas' comment, above?  How do you explain that?
Userlevel 7
Regarding deletion of temp files, that's part of what it's designed to do. I think Pegas hit it on the head that storing files in a temp directory in a permanent capacity is not a very good idea.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Regarding deletion of temp files, that's part of what it's designed to do. I think Pegas hit it on the head that storing files in a temp directory in a permanent capacity is not a very good idea.
I am not blaming WSA for cleaning temp files. I blame WSA for lack of cleaning settings like exclude/include, cookies filtering etc. ;)

BTW, it wasn't me to decide to store some needed files in temp directories, please re-read my post ;)
Userlevel 6
As a result of Pegas' post, I no longer use System Cleaner, only Clean Up Now.  I really don't think they're quite the same, after all.  However, assuming, for the sake of argument, they are the same, there's no need to duplicate.
Userlevel 7
It's good you're using Clean Up Now since it's easier to get to when you open the program than going into System Cleaner. That was the point of having it there, and it's good you're getting use out of it. 😉

But no, there is no functional difference between the two. Pegas is only pointing out that a third-party developer stuck something in a temp directory that didn't make sense to put there. If you ever want to adjust the settings for System Cleaner, go to System Tools > System Cleaner. If you ever do that, you won't have to click back to the main screen to start a cleanup when you're ready to run one. It saves mouse clicks being in both places.
Userlevel 6
JimM, I don't believe my question about exactly what "Clean Up Now" cleans up has been answered.  Is it only temprary internet files, or is it more than that?   Ideally, I'd like to rely upon "Clean Up Now" and not upon Microsoft Disk Cleanup, but I don't want to do that unless  I know that "Clean Up Now" addresses all of the issues that Microsoft Disk Cleanup addresses.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Have a look at this part of the Online Help File for details as I do both WSA-C Clean Up & Microsoft Disk Cleanup.

HTH,

TH
Userlevel 6
Thanks, TH.  I'll follow your lead and continue to use both.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Sounds good but make sure you go through the settings with the WSA Cleaner in the link I provided above. ;)

TH