Solved

Do you mind updating your site?

I think you are blocking Bethesda forums and I can't find anything newer than one year old  to instruct here how to check this.
None of your pages have the current information on them and I can't see how to check if you are blocking them or not.

Really special that you change stuff but you don't bother on updating the customer instructions.

:@

Why is this? Where exactly to look to see if you are blocking them or not??!!

-edited-
clarity
icon

Best answer by SpiritedTreasure 7 August 2014, 19:44

View original

100 replies

Both times for nslookup it said :  Non-Athoritative answer:

then listed their names and a line of numbers like this

www.creationkit.com

And with Bethsoft

Name bethsoft.com
address  199.107.64.171
Aliases www.bethsoft.com

Userlevel 7
I highly doubt this is a Webroot issue my gut feelings would be the following.

1) Block IP range in your host file (Spybot used to cause some issues doing this)
2) 3rd party program blocking access
3) Router settings
4) Installed plugin causing an issue
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I highly doubt this is a Webroot issue my gut feelings would be the following.

1) Block IP range in your host file (Spybot used to cause some issues doing this)
3) Router settings
I suspected that from the get go; this is not a Webroot-caused issue.  Especially since several of us - Jasper and myself included - cannot replicate the issue.  My gut suspicionwas #3 Router settings, but now I am getting some time outs.

ping results:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600] (c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:UsersJeff>nslookup forums.bethsoft.com DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. Server: UnKnown Address: 2001:4888:24:ff00:223:d:: DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. *** Request to UnKnown timed-out C:UsersJeff>ping forums.bethsoft.com Pinging forums.bethsoft.com [199.107.64.171] with 32 bytes of data: Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out. Ping statistics for 199.107.64.171: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss), C:UsersJeff>nslookup www.creationkit.com DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. Server: UnKnown Address: 2001:4888:24:ff00:223:d:: DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. *** Request to UnKnown timed-out C:UsersJeff>ping www.creationkit.com Pinging www.creationkit.com [199.107.64.173] with 32 bytes of data: Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out. Ping statistics for 199.107.64.173: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss), C:UsersJeff>

@ you may want to contact your ISP and have them do some testing on their end.

Hope it helps!
I don't understand this:

I only use webroot and malwarebytes and the windows defender that comes with windows 7.

I guess I'll have to sort this myself.. I don't have third party programs unless you mean malwarebytes
3) Router settings

Disabling adblock did not help; I can only disable webroot plugin which I also doubt would help.

Thank you so very much for all of your wonderful helps .

Are you by any chance using ATT?

I will call them in a bit .. Hugs for Beth -s-
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I don't understand this:

I only use webroot and malwarebytes and the windows defender that comes with windows 7.

I guess I'll have to sort this myself.. I don't have third party programs unless you mean malwarebytes
3) Router settings

Disabling adblock did not help; I can only disable webroot plugin which I also doubt would help.

Thank you so very much for all of your wonderful helps .

I know, it can get overwhelming at times.  The bottomline is that the problem that you're encountering does not have anything to do with Webroot.  There's a problem on the bethworks web site and/or somewhere in between.  I would again suggest contacting your ISP, or Bethsoft or even ZeniMax Media.  They may be experiencing "technical difficulties" 😉
Userlevel 7
It works for me on two seperate networks using two different providers. I would contact your ISP or even the forum support to see if they have an issue. There are some issues from the checks I have done but its certainly nothing to do with Webroot. Being a big fallout 3 fan I am not suprised they have bugs in there forum :D

TraceRoute from Network-Tools.com to 199.107.64.171 [forums.bethsoft.com]
Hop(ms)(ms)(ms)      IP AddressHost name
1   1   0   0      129.250.202.253 xe-0-4-0-12.r01.dllstx04.us.bb.gin.ntt.net  
2   4   3   2      129.250.8.238 ae-0.att.dllstx04.us.bb.gin.ntt.net  
3   35   35   37      12.123.16.78 cr2.dlstx.ip.att.net  
4   40   38   37      12.122.28.173 cr1.attga.ip.att.net  
5   36   37   40      12.122.2.162  -  
6   35   35   35      12.123.138.161  -  
7   51   51   51      12.122.251.86  -  
8   241   194   197      63.240.193.18 mdf001c7613r0004-gig-10-1.wdc1.attens.net  
9   Timed out   Timed out   Timed out       -  
10   Timed out   Timed out   Timed out       -  
11   Timed out   Timed out   Timed out       -  
12   Timed out   Timed out   Timed out       -  
Trace aborted.

Retrieving DNS records for forums.bethsoft.com...
DNS servers
ns1.zenimax.com [12.145.63.40]
ns2.zenimax.com [199.107.64.169]

Answer records

forums.bethsoft.com A199.107.64.1713600s

Authority records

bethsoft.com NS ns2.zenimax.com3600s
bethsoft.com NS ns1.zenimax.com3600s

Additional records

ns1.zenimax.com A12.145.63.403600s
ns2.zenimax.com A199.107.64.1693600s

Whois query for bethsoft.com...

Results returned from whois.internic.net:
I will call them, thank you Jeff -s-
Looks like you timed out too.. I'll make some calls later on.. Thanks so much.
My ISP took me through some steps and I'm in now -s-

1. Turn off modem (dsl) -Unplug it .
2. Disconnect Ethernet cable from computer
3. Turn off computer
4. Turn on modem and wait for power light to become solid.
5. After waiting at least 10 seconds turn the computer back on.
6. Plug the Ethernet cable back in.

She said unplugging the ethernet cable is important and something most people don't do. Also she said the steps have to be done exactly this way.

Thanks you all very much and especially Beth who stayed up half the night with me..

Spirited Treasure
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Thank you SpiritedTreasure for letting us know of the successful outcome.
I hope you are going to continue to visit this site, there is a wealth of information tucked away in here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:

3. Turn off computer

She said unplugging the ethernet cable is important and something most people don't do. Also she said the steps have to be done exactly this way.

Thanks you all very much and especially Beth who stayed up half the night with me..
Spirited Treasure
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
 Welcome Spirited Treasure, 
Thank you for the reply back and letting us know. Come on back ya hear!!
And our Beth is the night shift owl prowler!!:D

Userlevel 6
@ wrote:

3. Turn off computer

Spirited Treasure
You are very welcome Spirited Treasure! My pleasure.

So glad you got that resolved and thank you for letting us know how! This will help other members who connect to the internet via wired modem in the future. 

Curious; when you shut down your computer, do you keep your modem on? I ask as you just reminded me that many people do use the same modem connection in their homes for cable and/or their home phone or both.  

Please do come visit often, this is a great community, lots of friendly members and so much valuable information here!

So browse around and keep sharing your experiences! Thats what its all about, sharing our experiences. We all learn from one another and help each other out. 

See you again soon!:D

Beth

I used to shut down modem every night, but my ISP told me to stop.
Said it was meant to be on all the time , so now I don't unless it is thundering and lightening rain.
Userlevel 7
Even if thundering and lightening, as long as you have it plugged into a surge protected socket (and they are as cheap as chips to buy...and thorougly recommended), you should be safe.

Personally I switch off our router whenever the PC is closed down, unless someone is needing to use their tablet.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:

3. Turn off computer

Spirited Treasure
Glad to hear the problem is resolved!  [I was getting ready to start running traceroutes between your PC and the forum :p ]

ps: Yeah, Beth has a tendency to do things like that 😉
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Even if thundering and lightening, as long as you have it plugged into a surge protected socket (and they are as cheap as chips to buy...and thorougly recommended), you should be safe.

Personally I switch off our router whenever the PC is closed down, unless someone is needing to use their tablet.
All very good points, but I took it even one step further... a few months ago during a rather "electrifying" Florida afternoon T-storm, I came to the conclusion that I would never ever again spend a wasted 6 hours due to the nanosecond flicker of power that would re-set the modem and cable box (re-set time during a full re-boot averages 10-15 minutes each).  The surge protected sockets are quite good, but in this neck of the woods the $65.00 that I spent at BestBuy was well worth the investment.

This is only ONE of many choices out there... My own preference was a CyberPower 625VA UPS [ http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems.html ]
Userlevel 7
Hi Jeff

Would not disagree with you and I have actually always want to hook up a UPS to my system to protect it...but the reality of the situation is that over here in the UK we just don't get the sort of storms, very often, that you are describing.  And also being a geographically small nation compared to the Ol' US of A our power infrastructure is less vulnerable.

So a combination of both the above means that for me it is not really a cost effective solution.  But from the sounds of it a must in your neck of the woods....;)

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi Jeff

Would not disagree with you and I have actually always want to hook up a UPS to my system to protect it...but the reality of the situation is that over here in the UK we just don't get the sort of storms, very often, that you are describing.  And also being a geographically small nation compared to the Ol' US of A our power infrastructure is less vulnerable.

So a combination of both the above means that for me it is not really a cost effective solution.  But from the sounds of it a must in your neck of the woods....;)

Regards

Baldrick
lol... Understood my friend... I look at it this way... At least I'm not still living in Montreal where the power grid was so unstable all you had to do was sneeze and the lights would go out! [of course, they always blamed it on solar flares :p ]
Userlevel 7
Wonder what Daniel will make of that and whether the Ottawa power supply systems are in as precarious a position as those of Montreal sound...LOL
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Wonder what Daniel will make of that and whether the Ottawa power supply systems are in as precarious a position as those of Montreal sound...LOL
Good question!  It's been many, many years (1988-1990) but I believe the entire system was rather fragile... Hopefully @  can shed some light [ pardon the pun ] on if things have improved or not :p
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Well in Oshawa about 3 hours from Ottawa I live in Between 2 Nuke stations and there are times we have Brown outs (Power Flickers) but not many, but I do have my Home Theatre system on a UPS as well as my Laptops, Modem/Router and phones just for protection who cares about a toaster. LOL The brand I use is and have 3 of http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BE750G-JP&total_watts=200

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Yeppers...can see that you have your priorities just about right there...LOL ;)
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
I'll ask my sister, she lives in Ottawa
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
 I used to shut down modem every night, but my ISP told me to stop.
Said it was meant to be on all the time , so now I don't unless it is thundering and lightening rain.
I shut mine down every night. I have no other devices using it besides my computer.