Does Webroot Anywhere 2015 stop all Trojans? Should I run another anti-virus along with it to be sur

• 1 April 2015
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
I have been using Webroot Anywhere Complete for about five years and I really like it. I have the new version for 2015. I think I saw a notification for a TrojanWin32.aussmere. I may have spelled that wrong - I should have written it down, but Webroot caught it immediately and removed it. Someone told me to install another free version of malware to be sure it was gone. Do I really need to do that? Webroot ran two scans and cleaned up everything all by itself. I really like the scans, I have mine set to deep, and the system optimizer. How dangerous are these new bugs and should I be concerned? Any feed back or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know that these Trojans can lay low for a while, and then try to steal your info. Thanks! Mark79

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Markb,

If I may start with the WIN Cloud http://www.brightcloud.com/platform/webroot-intelligence-network.php as all the work is done on there and not your PC also WSA only uses 3 to 6MB of RAM and up to 6 MB's on the Hard Drive for the Client and this is the future and it's here now, how can the other conventional AV's keep up with almost 500,000 new Malware everyday and over 142 million Malware in 2014 alone..Webroot protects you from Ransomeware and Cyptolocker and many more are being added everyday to the cloud.

Look here at this Video if Webroot Misses a virus.https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-Education/What-Happens-if-Webroot-quot-Misses-quot-a-Virus/ta-p/10202   

No AV is 100% protection but Webroot & the Support  Team stands behind their product!

This video from Brighttalk https://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/8241/132751?utm_campaign=channel-feed&utm_content=&utm_source=brighttalk-portal&utm_medium=web&utm_term= and one more video here

And it's great at protecting your online Credentials so Shopping and Banking online is no worry! :)

In my opinion Webroot is all you need and why weigh your system down with heavy unneccesary resources

But just to let you know Webroot SecureAnywhere is fully compatible with other mainstream antivirus products and
will work alongside any existing antivirus software.

Hope I answered your question!

Kind Regards,.

Userlevel 3
HI Mark!

There are a couple of Anti-Malware Packages that will run nicely along side of webroot and one of them is called, "MalwareBytes".  You might take a look at that program at:  malwarebytes.org!

Or!

You can go the route of other second opion scanners such as HitmanPro, SuperAntiSpyware etc.

Userlevel 7
Hi nerf8cnt48569

Whilst you are quite correct in what you say, and in fact just about all the main security apps will play nicely with WSA or shoudl I more correclty say that WSA plays nicely with them and that is by design (thanks to the forward thinking of the previous Webroot VP of Endpoint Security), I should point out that it is against Community guidelines to promote apps & solutions other than Webroot ones in forum.

By all means make suggestions if so minded but please do this via PM between you and the OP.

Just thought I would mention in case this thread develops into something 'deeper' on the subject.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Thanks Baldrick, I guess I was just obsessing a little bit when I found that Trojan powerliksb. Have you ever heard of that trojan and should I be at all cocerned? A few years ago, I had Norton on both laptops, and it did not stop a very nasty bug from getting through on the tailend of a game that my grandson was playing. It took help from several friends to remove it. Thats when one of them suggested i switch to Webroot. I'm very glad I did. How much of a threat is that powerliksb? If it does get back in, how does Webroot deal with it-from what I understand it uses a registry key to hide in, and sends personal info. to an outside attacker. Also, I've heard of people multilayering protection-it seems to me that might slow your system down, When I made the switch to Webroot-I noticed that both computers were very fast. Its a very light system and i really like that.I have (2015) infrared on and heuristics set to enhanced. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. Happy Easter and Thank You very much! mark79
Userlevel 7
Hi Mark

I have heard about Powerliksb, and one should always be concerned by the malware that is all around us most of the time (after all that is why we spend money on the like of WSA).

As far as I understand it this infection is typically installed via exploit kits found on hacked web sites that exploit vulnerabilities on your computer when you visit the sites.  So I think that the key to avoiding Poweliks is to practice 'safe browsing' or avoid potentially dangerous sites.

If you are unfortunate to get infected, and let's be honest here, no securoity solution is 100%...not even WSA, then the best thing to do is to immediately open a support ticket so that the SUpportTeam can investiate and deal withthe infection (as you reightly say, it does get into the Registry and that is not a place to tread/play if you do not know what you are doing).

One can multi-layer without significant or even noticiable slow downs...one just needs to find the approrpiate secondary app that works for you.  I am not suggesting a full blown second security app but perhaps a complementary anti-exploit app or something similar...it should not be necessary but if it gives you peace of mind with no performance drop then what is the harm.

So as I said earlier...the best way to avoid this 'nasty' is to avoid dangerous websites...and so heed the Webroot Web Threat Filter which should keep you away from such sites.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Thank You very much Baldrick. I was just wondering about all of that. Can I turn that filter on and where  would I find it? I don't have much time to follow all of this, but from what I've heard the hackers are using the most popular games right now (some sites even mimick the official sites} to install their bugs. one cannot be too safe these days. From what I understand some of those sites look very genuine. I need to warn my son because he's a big gamer. I gave him a copy of Webroot 2015 Complete and I need to get in touch with him to make sure he's installed it. I really like Webroot. Any further feedback would be greatly appreciated. It just seems that the hackers are getting worse, maybe its just me-but like you said, one cannot be too safe these days. Thanks.  Regards; mark79
Userlevel 7
Hi Mark

You are most welcome.

You can turn the filter on and off (though personally I would not) by clicking on 'PC Security' and then on the Web Shield On/Off button...there will be an Adavnced Setting to do this in a future release that is currently in beta mode.  But as I said...do not turn it off it really is not worth taking the chance.

Yes, it does seem that the hackers are getting worse, but with WSA to watch your back you are well protected and supplementing that with (i) safe surfing habits & (ii) where possible always downloading softweare from the author's website/never downloading software from 3rd party sites unless recommended by the author/producer, etc., should mean that you are less are lessening the need for WSA to jump in, etc.

Hang around the Community and you will see some good & enlightening discussions that you may well glean some useful information from, and where you can contribute to. :D

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Thanks Baldrick!  I will do that since I love the way Webroot WRSA protects computers and in memory usage, is very light!  It is one of the programs that I know of that has the smallest footprint (memory) that I know of and that is why I am sticking with Webroot for many years to come!  Again, thanks in advance!

Fred,