Solved

Does Webroot store the file of passwords on my PC

Userlevel 1
Because of the Firefox 40 update I want to use Revo Uninstaller to remore Webroot and all accosiated files from my PC as I try and get back to a happy place..I do not want to lose the file that contains the websites and their passwords. I want it available when I reinstall webroot.
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 23 August 2015, 16:51

View original

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi BR-BOB

Welcome to the Community Forums.

The password data captured and access via the Password Manager are not held on the local machine but in the Webroot Cloud...that is why you are able to access the same set from any device.  If you uninstall WSA temporarily and then reinstall it you will be immediately able to reaccess your password data.

BTW, I do not understand why you feel you need to uninstalle WSA just because of the extension issue cause by Mozilla...it sems to be a case of cutting off your nose to spite you face.  Despite the issue WSA still provide 99% of the protection it provided before the issue arose, adn I would therefore urge you to reconsider and not ditch an excellent security app just because of something silly a 3rd party has chosen to do.

Regards, Baldrick 
Userlevel 1
Baldrick - after the uninstall I will reinstall. I replaced Firefox 40 with 39.. which worked and although I see the password manager app in firefox it is not working.  The Password manager is too useful to lose.
Userlevel 7
BR-BOB

Are you saying that the Password Manager is also not working with Firefox 39?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
That is correct - thought if I remove webroot and then reinstall it may work.
Userlevel 7
BR-BOB, If I might add to what Baldrick has said, do remember that Google Chrome still works just fine with the Password Manager as does IE (Ugh on the IE).  Depending on how often you need to retrieve passwords, if only a few times a day, you can also log into the Account Console, go to Passwords, and locate the specific item or two that you need.
Userlevel 7
That appears to work for some but not others.

If I where you I would uninstall WSA, uninstall Firefox 40, install Firefox 39 & then reinstall WSA, and then check to see if the extensions are there and enabled, etc.
Userlevel 1
Thanks to all - have replaced Firefox 40 with 39 and will uninstall then reinstall Webroot - the Firefox addons should they disappear after Webroot is uninstalled - if they stay is that OK?
Userlevel 7
If the extensions stay and work correctly under Firefox 39, yes, that is quite OK.  You will want to keep an eye on the threads regarding the issue so that once resolved, make sure you re-update to Firefox 40, but you should be OK running under 39 until everything is ironed out.
Userlevel 1
Will Do - Thanks again for help
Userlevel 7
Hi BR-BOB

You are most welcome...we are happy that we could help. :D

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
There is still something screwy - probably me. Running firefox v39.. - removed all webroot apps and extensions (Password Manager and Filtering extension) then I  used Revo uninstaller to remove Webroot and ran the scan that identified any leftover bits and pieces & removed them. Then ran registry cleaner twice to be sure it was as clean as possible after all the installs and uninstalls. Reinstalled webroot and the two firefox add ons.During this process the Webroot icon on the firefox toolbar next to the "start a conversation" icon has been green. In the past (when it worked properly) it was always colourless and I had to click om it to bring up  the log in box and then it would turn green and each time I accessed a site the password etc was available. Now it is green but it will not suooly the log in data for the site I am trying to access. I made sure that the log in data for webroot was not stored in firefox - I erased all webroot entries and restarted firefox. Webroot icon still green & webroot not supplying data for sites as it should.  Slowly getting frustrated-may just leave things as they are and use Firefox encrypted password manager
Userlevel 7
BR, 

It sounds like the more you try to get it working, the less satisfactory result you are getting.  I know Revo and some registry cleaners can help, but no program is perfect.  I fear the more you install and remove things, the farther you are getting.

Might it be a good idea to hold off, for the moment, as we all know what and where the problem is and allow Webroot a day or two to get this fixed with Mozilla?
Userlevel 7
Hi BR_BOB

To be honest with you I would not use Revo Uninstaller to remove WSA unless you have first had it monitor the install...with security apps it is best to use the specific uninstaller IMHO (And this from a very, very long time user of Revo Uninstalller Pro).

Also, I suspect that you are indeed best leaving things as you have them and waiitng for the Mozilla-generated 'mess' to be cleared up...who can tell what it has really affected. That is what I am doing.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Thanks folks - I agree with all and will wait -- Revo does go first to the "webroot" uninstaller as its first step then will, if asked, scan for anything that was left behind
Again I appreciate the effort and will close the case.
Userlevel 7
Hi BR_BOB

Indeed it does but even doing that and then scanning for remnants based on what it finds when it analyses the uninstall process is not foolproof. Neither is the monitor the installation option of the Pro version but in my experience the latter is safer when it comes to dealing with security apps due to the possible level of obfuscation that takes place at install.

Please don't close the case...we enjoy health debate as it enriches us all...and is great fun...so if there is anything further to add then pelase do. ;)

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Will post again when solution is implemented
Userlevel 7
Thanks BR (may I call you that?)

That will be interesting and infomative i am sure.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Bob is fine also
Userlevel 7
Bob, it is then. ;)

Cheers, Baldrick