Solved

Failed uninstall

Userlevel 4
So I was helping someone with their computer and uninstalled their current antivirus(not WSA). Then offcouse the windows protection center thingie pops-up that there is no AV installed, and it also suggest turning on WSA(even though it should have been uninstalled ages ago.)
I see that the WSA executable is still in Program Files, but it's not in Add/Remove programs.

Clicking turn on WSA downloads and launches the latest installer.
Trying to uninstall through CMD (c:program fileswebrootwrsa.exe -uninstall) launches the installer as well.

Another problem is that I don't have a spare license anymore, and it won't accept a trial license, so I can't install it in order to uninstall again.
icon

Best answer by BoerenkoolMetWorst 9 May 2014, 23:57

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 4
Thanks again 🙂
Userlevel 7
Thank you Daniel!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Thanks to TH, who helped me activate WSA, it was able to install again.
I let it do the initial scan, rebooted to be safe, uninstalled via Start Menu - Webroot - Tools - Uninstall and rebooted.
No more Webroot files/folders in Start Menu, Program Files, ProgramData, and WRkrn.sys and WRusr.dll  are gone as well, so it seems to me that the Uninstall was performed succesfully :)

@I don't know the details, it does have a single executable in Program Files, but I know of at least 2 other files, driver WRkrn.sys and also WRusr.dll in System32/SysWOW64.
I'm glad it worked! Also here is the list of files and locations: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Installation-Folder-and-File-Locations/ta-p/3766

Cheers,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Thanks for the reply!  I know a good bit, bit admittedly far far from it all!

Daniel let me know he had you in good shape :-) 

Userlevel 4
Thanks to TH, who helped me activate WSA, it was able to install again.
I let it do the initial scan, rebooted to be safe, uninstalled via Start Menu - Webroot - Tools - Uninstall and rebooted.
No more Webroot files/folders in Start Menu, Program Files, ProgramData, and WRkrn.sys and WRusr.dll  are gone as well, so it seems to me that the Uninstall was performed succesfully :)

@I don't know the details, it does have a single executable in Program Files, but I know of at least 2 other files, driver WRkrn.sys and also WRusr.dll in System32/SysWOW64.
Userlevel 7
Excellent point regarding use of 3rd party and the problems of antikeylogging drivers.  I admit my assumption in providing that being that Webroot works from a single executable and does not load separate drivers and downloaded files for the various services it uses, though I admit I could well be mistaken.  If I am mistaken on that, please let me know- I am still always learning myself :-) 

I know all too well that use of 3rd party uninstall utililities on most other security suites can indeed result in disaster.
Userlevel 4
Thanks for replying :)

The tool is only for older versions, so doesn't work.

When I tried to uninstall via Command Line, I already made sure to run CMD as Admin.

And I'd rather not use 3rd party uninstallers, especially with a broken install of a security product.
I've read and experienced in the past with products that have antikeylogging etc that it can screw up the keyboard/mouse bigtime if the antikeylogging driver is not removed properly.

TH, about your last link:
Option 1 does not work, since there is no GUI to open.
Option 2, I've tried already, not in Safe Mode, but the result is the same.

Update: replied to PM 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ PM waiting for you!

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Also see the KB Aticle: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/PC-Uninstallation-Option-Missing-from-Control-Panel-and-Start/ta-p/34688

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Nope....no change of status needed.  That file is signed January 19, 2012.

It will only work on 2011 and previous versions.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Petr that article for the Legacy Webroot Products before 2012!

Daniel
WRUpgradeTool.exe without problems uninstall new versions.
Not according to the Mods.  When I was putting together the listings for the removal tools post, they were quick to inform me that file is only for 2011 and previous installations.  We may need another check on that from a support type, but the use of it has not been changed as far as I know
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
@ wrote:
Petr that article for the Legacy Webroot Products before 2012!

Daniel
WRUpgradeTool.exe without problems uninstall new versions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
So I was helping someone with their computer and uninstalled their current antivirus(not WSA). Then offcouse the windows protection center thingie pops-up that there is no AV installed, and it also suggest turning on WSA(even though it should have been uninstalled ages ago.)
I see that the WSA executable is still in Program Files, but it's not in Add/Remove programs.

Clicking turn on WSA downloads and launches the latest installer.
Trying to uninstall through CMD (c:program fileswebrootwrsa.exe -uninstall) launches the installer as well.

Another problem is that I don't have a spare license anymore, and it won't accept a trial license, so I can't install it in order to uninstall again.
You can try this:

If someone can't remove WSA because it's not listed in Programs & Features or All Programs use this in the Commandline or Run Dialog: "C:Program FilesWebrootWRSA.exe" –uninstall  making sure that it is run in an elevated Command Prompt/Run as Administrator!

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Petr that article is for the Legacy Webroot Products before 2012!

Daniel
Userlevel 7
The link provided by Petrovic might help, but remember that the upgrade tool mentioned in the article will be of no use: it only works to remove the 2011 and previous versions of Webroot.

You might contact support, but you might also have luck using Revo uninstaller listed in the Software Removal Tools thread.
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Hi

Trouble Installing or Uninstalling
http://www.webroot.com/prodCheck/?pc=64150&origrc=1&oc=221&mjv=7&mnv=0&rel=6&bld=38&lang=en&loc=AUS&kc=ppc%60lkik%5E%5Eafhgpewgfa&opi=2&omj=6&omn=1&osl=en&errid