file or folder called "C:program"

• 22 April 2016
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +19
When I booted up my computer today, I got a pop up that said there was a file or folder on my computer called "C:program" and that it could cause programs not to run correctly and that renaming it to "C:program1" would fix the issue. I didn't know what the file or folder was or where it came from so I didn't know what to do so I said ignore. (Right before I clicked IGNORE, I noticed that Webroot wasn't in my task bar. I thought great, because my backup was running and I couldn't really restart just then.) When I clicked on ignore, another pop up came up and it asked if I wanted to allow Webroot to make changes to this computer. I said yes, and then the icon showed up in the task bar. I then looked for the file or folder. I was searching for "C:Programs" but it was really a file "Programs" in the C: root. I then right clicked on it and said to scan with webroot and it said it was clean. But then the popup came up again asking me if I wanted to allow Webroot to make changes to this computer. I said yes again. At spme point I noticed that the webroot icon was gone again.

(I also wonder if Windows defender is also running because when I right click on a file I see "Scan with Windows Defender" or "Scan with Webroot" . But windows defender wasn't running and I didn't turn it on. (Doesn't Webroot turn it off when you first install Webroot?) I do get a warning now and then that says both Windows defender and Webroot are turned off. But webroot isn't turned off when that happens. I can see the icon. And before I can even click on the warning, it goes away.)

I renamed the file (it appears to be a file) to program1 and then rebooted. This time there was no warning and webroot loaded into the task bar. It said it completed a scan but nothing was found. I also ran another scan, but nothing was found then either. And I shouldn't think there would be anything, as I haven't downloaded anything on this computer except a few songs from iTunes.

I also notice when I checked the properties on this file called "program" that the description was "Webroot Secure Anywhere". And this file was created yesterday,

So what is this all about?

This is my BestBuy webroot subscription and I have 8 days left. I was going to enter my new key for the non-Bestbuy version when I have maybe 2 days left just to be sure there are no issues. The instructions that I received from tech support said to just enter the new key and it will be converted.)

Does this have anything to do with the fact that I haven't chosen to re-new the Best Buy subscription and the system thinks I'm not renewing? But in reality I have. I have a new keycode just waiting to replace it.

Again, I have run two scans and webroot has found nothing amiss.

How do I turn off Windows Defender or check to see if it is actually running?

All very strange.

Thanks.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +19
I just wanted to add...

1. that this file seems to belong to Webroot because

a. I got the prompt about the name conflict and when I close the dialogue box saying to ignore I get another prompt from webroot asking if I want to allow it to make changes to my computer.
b. When I find the file, and I scan it with webroot, that causes another prompt of do I want to allow webroot to make changes to my computer.
c. If I check the properties of the file the description is "Webroot secure anywhere"

I have run three scans and nothing was found.

The file was created yesterday.

I did not download anything yesterday. All I did on the computer yesterday was open iTunes and edit some of the properties of some of my songs.

Maybe I'll contact tech support and see if I can send them the file.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ?,

I have heard of this before but can't remember why or how the C: Program occurred to rename it Program 1. 

I am pretty sure that this is nothing to worry about. But I can't explain why this happened to you concering Webroot?

Maybe ? can advise here.

Also Webroot isn't acting up because it's expiring. At least not that I know of. I have never heard of it anyways.

So do you have a new Webroot keycode from Webroot and not BestBuy? You have to uninstall your BestBuy version to install the Webroot version because they have different installers. 

If you are running Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 then Microsoft will shut off Windows Defender because Windows will not run 2 AVs. It automatically shuts down WD.

As for getting notifications that WD and Webroot is a known issue that was fixed in Webroots latest release.
Please look at this THREAD

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Announcements-and-Release-Notes/PC-Agent-Release-Notes-for-Version-9-0-8-80-Released-April-18th/m-p/250129
Version 9.0.8.80 (Released April 18th, 2016)
Enhanced
  • Implementation of Microsoft Windows 10 user experience requirements.

Hope this helps? But you can always Submit a Support Ticket if needed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Kev914,

Please read below:

Here is some info from Microsoft Support: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-files/there-is-a-file-or-folder-called-cp...

And here in the Community: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-for-Business/File-named-C-Program/td-p/77475

It looks like it goes back to Windows XP: http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/file-name-warning-at-boot-293153/

And many others: https://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGIH_enUS221US223&q=There+is+a+file+...

Provided by TripleHelix
Userlevel 5
Badge +19
Thanks, Sherry. I did find some of those when I searched for Webroot and the file error.

I wonder how that file got put there...unless Webroot was updated yesterday and it put it there when it updated.

My other computer hasn't been affected.

Oh, I wanted to add that I am running Windows 10.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi ?

Not sure but Webroot did update the 18th with the new Webroot version which is suppose to fix the Windows 10 notifications in the Action Center,

You should Submit a Support Ticket and ask them why this occured?

EDITED: Did you read this post here by Shawn? https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-for-Business/File-named-C-Program/td-p/77475

Because he saids to uninstall/reinstall to fix this.  :)

Userlevel 5
Badge +19
I have 2 days left on my Best Buy subscription. How do you uninstall Webroot so you can install the non-bestbuy version? I don't seen an uninstaller in the Webroot panel, nor under programs. Do you have to use Add/Remove programs?

Also, the email that I received had a link, but when I click on it, it says to enter the keycode when prompted which makes me think if I continue that it is going to update right then. (I tried this a few days ago and I wanted to wait to be closer to my expiration date.) So that might work, but...

Just in case, I wanted to have an installer on standby, so I downloaded the pc version from the link in your signature Ssherjj. That would be the correct version? And the most current version?

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Kev914,

Yes go ro the Control Panel/AddRemove/Programs/Webroot/Uninstall. I would Reboot and then install the link that I have provided in my signature. Yes it is the latest most current version always up to date!

Let us know if you have any issues ok?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
 Hi Kev,

Here are the instructions:

Please follow the steps below closely in terms of installing WSA on the target system/machine!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • KEEP the computer online during the install to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here
  • Install with the new installer, entering your Keycode when prompted to do so in the install process
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot