Solved

Firefox 19.0.2 stays resident after closing the app when WSA is protecting it

• 12 March 2013
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Happens if FF is used/left openfor long periods of time.  So far the only solution is to set FF to Allow.

Companion problem: After FF has been in use for a while (hours, not minutes), it will suddenly lose access to the Internet.  The only option is to restart it, but then the stay resident issue forces killing the process from Task Manager.  I'm still testing to see if setting it to Allow also fixes this issue.

Windows 8 64-bit.

Jeff
icon

Best answer by Rakanisheu Retired 14 March 2013, 16:46

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi Jeff,

Did you try a clean reinstall of WSA? If you want to make sure you have a copy of your keycode then Uninstall and reboot and download a fresh copy from Here or if you are using "the Best Buy version for subscription software" and install and let it finish it's install routine once that is done reboot again then give it sometime to see if it does reoccur and if does I would suggest that you Submit a Support Ticket and they can gather some logs to see what's happening on your system. Please let us know either way.

Thanks,

TH
Userlevel 7
This would be the kind of case in which a process dump of the hung open Firefox application would be handy in determining what's going on here.  That kind of investigation is best facilitated through the support system, as TH suggested.
Userlevel 1
I will try a clean reinstall.  I have already opened up a support ticket and sent off a wsalogs report.

Thanks for the ideas.

Jeff
Userlevel 7
This is not a Webroot issue but a well known issue with Firefox. The lead developer of Firefox did an interview recently and he said this is a priority issue that they are working on. I have posted the relevant information below

"What's happening is that Firefox is still in the process of closing, even though the window has disappeared. When you try to re-open Firefox, it flips out, because the first process hasn't finished up yet.
The performance team is working hard on this on the "exit(0)" project. It's a P1 goal"
Userlevel 1
Thanks for that info.  I just ran into this issue even with FF being set to Allow, so I think that effectively removes WSA from the equation and validates your findings.  Nice job researching!

Jeff