Solved

Firefox 57 and Webroot extensions

• 6 November 2017
  • 20 replies

Hello!

New to the forum, signed up because I an heavily invested in the answer to this question. I currently depend on the webroot password manager extension in firefox for all my passwords. I'm currently on firefox 56 and the extension is flagged as Legacy. I've heard about the update to firefox 57 coming this month, and I'm worried that the password manager will no longer work properly. Additionally, I cannot find the extension in the Chrome store either.

I'd really like to keep using the webroot password manager, but if it disappears from all browsers I will have to abandon it. Does anyone know if there are plans to release a new version of the extension compatible with modern browsers?
icon

Best answer by JP_ 7 November 2017, 00:39

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello, @!

The Password Manager should work in FireFox 57 and our Global Escalations Team is creating a workaround to ensure that does not happen.

To get the most up-to-date info for any inquiry of this Nature, please always feel free to submit a support ticket to our Team.
Thanks for the reply, that's great news 🙂
Userlevel 7
It is great news indeed, thanks for reaching out! :)

Yes....the Password Manager is a great feature. Hope Webroot comes up with a workaround as I rely on it on a daily basis.
Update: Just upgraded to Firefox 57. Had to run the toolbar fix and restart Firefox to get the manager to appear. A little buggy but it does its job so I'm happy! Looking forward to watch the webextension version improve over time!
Hi JP,

I don't know if there's been an effective resolution as to adding WR Password Manager toolbar to Firefox 57, but for me it's been completely lost since the update to the new browser.  I have tried everything I can think of, including the toolbarfix.exe, removing and reinstalling...but no luck.  I'm having to use Internet Explorer, being that MS Edge is not an option either.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I rely on the WR Password Manager and Firefox on a daily basis.

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi nelson,

Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum,

I was having this issue when Firefox upgraded  to 57 and I used the Toolbar Fix. Did you make sure you closed Firefox or any other browser before applying the Toolbar Fix? Because any open browsers will effect  whether the PM gets installed or not. Sometimes a reboot will help as well. But make sure you take a look at your FF extensions and see if the PWM just needs to be enabled.

HTH

You can always Submit a Support Ticket free of charge with an active Webroot subscription. They will gladly assist you with this issue. Free of charge of course. They usually respond in 24-48 hours.

BTW: JP is off on the weekends...

Greetings Nelson, I ran into the same issue as you have but by  following Sheris advice, it got me up and running. Until I closed my browser, the toolbar fix didn't work. I closed it ( Firefox ) installed it and restarted my computer and ....bingo, Password Manager worked just like before. On a side note, I was glad to see that with the new Password Manager had put all my favorites in alphabetical  order where as the older version had them scrambled.
Thank you, both ROBERT1725 and Sherry for your replies on this matter.  I did run the Toolbar fix in the way you suggested, Sherry, and I did notice the greyes out W icon on upper right. But this is the strange thing that's happening now - I click to sign in and what I get, instead of the user and password fields is the following: 

"This extension requires Webroot SecureAnywhere PC to be installed and running, please find more information here"

Obviously, it's running on my system but I get that message.  I may try in a bit to uninstall and reinstall SecureAnywhere and see what happens.  I'll post the results...
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi nelson,

Sorry to hear you are having so many issues. But I do think a uninstall/clean install of Webroot should fix these issues. In case here are the instructions below:

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Geek Squad Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and DO NOT import any old settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
HTH
Userlevel 7
@, please do try Sherry's instructions and if that doesn't work you should reach out to our Support Team to diagnose. Thanks!
Userlevel 5
[Edit:  This might be an issue with me recently changing keycodes, and the password log-in information not being moved.  Checking with support.]

I can see the Webroot extention in Firefox 57, but it does not allow me to log in.  (It just clears the password field when I try to log in.)  I think it is related to multi-factor authentication.  I am NOT turning off my multi-factor authentication to check at this moment, because I don't have access to all my devices that I keep my keys stored on at the moment. 
(That is, when I turn back on authenticator app for Webroot I can't re-scan the QR codes in my normal set of devices.)

Badge +1
I followed the instructions and also ran the toolbarfix kit, but still have not been able to get my password manager in FireFox. Chrome is working fine though, now (I use both simultaneously). Help?
After days of dealing with not being able to load the Webroot Password Manager extension after upgrading to Firefox 57 I came accross the following solution:

First, make sure to close Firefox.

Next, run %APPDATA%

In the Roaming folder follow the path to C:Users"your user folder name goes here"AppDataRoamingMozillaFirefoxProfiles.

You should only see one profile folder. Click to enter that folder - just a bunch of gibberish that looks something like "703mycnq.default-15115000896", and then click on the "extensions" folder. In "extensions" there should be a folder named {8ac62a8b-8b3f-43ba-9b1a-90c299b9dfda} - at least that's what it's called in my case - which contains all of the Password Manager specific images and java scripts.  If that folder isn't there, then that would more than likely point to the cause as to why the Password Manager icon is not appearing in Firefox's toolbar. 
In my case, that folder was non existant – apparently, the upgrade process deleted it, having apparantly been disabled as a carried over legacy plugin.
In any event, the solution I found was to copy that folder over from another computer - where the WR extension was working in conjunction with Firefox 57 - to the same location in mine.  Once copied, I restarted Firefox and immediately received the prompt to enable Webroot Password Manager...and all has been good since!
In case anyone is visiting this page because they are looking for a solution to a problem with the Webroot Web Filtering Extension no longer working with the new Firefox Quantum v57 browser, this solution should handily resolve their problem.

Hope this helps someone 😃
Userlevel 7
Thanks, @!!! 🙂
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
In case anyone is visiting this page because they are looking for a solution to a problem with the Webroot Web Filtering Extension no longer working with the new Firefox Quantum v57 browser, this solution should handily resolve their problem.

Hope this helps someone :D
Or one can just follow the instruction in THIS thread...I have been uisng this method for a number of years and it never fails to work.

The only thing that one has to do if working with the Quantum version of the Mozilla engine is to substitute the path in the instructions:

C:ProgramDataWRDataPKGFirefoxWebrootSecure_SocketServer

with 

C:ProgramDataWRDataPKGFF_WebEx

and job done.

Baldrick
@

From what you say, it sounds like it was the new path for the web browser extension folder that was confusing both my 7 and my 10 devices. Thanks for pointing that out!

However personally I still prefer the method I described above: it feels (to my mind) cleaner, safer and more logical. As I've mentioned in a previous post, it follows a procedure I was asked to follow by Karin when I had a couple of problems with my Firefox Browser Extension a year or so ago.

Daniel's thread, of course, was targeted at alternative Firefox-based browsers because Webroot does not officially support those browsers, thus necessitating a manual hack to install the filtering extension.
Userlevel 7
Both are good, Muddy7, and it is always good to provide choice. ;)

Also, whilst the install version of Firefox is supported by Webroot, the portable version of it (and many other browsers) is not and therefore anyone using Firefox Portable will need to use the alternative method to get the WFE to install correctly.

Regards, Baldrick
@ wrote:
Also, whilst the install version of Firefox is supported by Webroot, the portable version of it (and many other browsers) is not and therefore anyone using Firefox Portable will need to use the alternative method to get the WFE to install correctly.
Agreed 😃