Solved

Firewall

Userlevel 1
How can I block an application that is not active from accessing the internet? 

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 14 March 2018, 23:03

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@wrote:
A position that would become rapidly redundant if there was a help button with a well constructed help system or did I miss it?
Keep up the good work,
David

We Volunteers are happy to help other users of WSA and the Online Guide needs to be updated so that's why I posted my pictures: https://docs.webroot.com/us/en/home/wsa_pc_userguide/wsa_pc_userguide.htm#UsingFirewallProtectionWebShieldProtection/ManagingActiveConnections.htm%3FTocPath%3DUsing%2520Firewall%2520%252F%2520Web%2520Shield%2520Protection%7C_____3

Cheers,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@wrote:
A position that would become rapidly redundant if there was a help button with a well constructed help system or did I miss it?
Keep up the good work,
David

For simple things that's what we Volunteers love to do is help other users of WSA and the online Guide needs to be updated as it doesn't show correctly: https://docs.webroot.com/us/en/home/wsa_pc_userguide/wsa_pc_userguide.htm#UsingFirewallProtectionWebShieldProtection/ManagingActiveConnections.htm%3FTocPath%3DUsing%2520Firewall%2520%252F%2520Web%2520Shield%2520Protection%7C_____3

Cheers,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 2
Keep up the good work,
David

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@wrote:
Thanks Dan.I live and learn.
No worries I'm here to show and teach on how WSA works! 😉
Userlevel 2
Thanks Dan.I live and learn.
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
You can block apps or any processes from calling out here:

Click on the gear cog!

Then click on View Active Connections:

Lastly you can block any outgoing connection:

HTH,

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 2
OK. it is now 2018 and I still see no way of blocking a program via the firewall, in fact the aforementioned  method is no longer available. I left Bitdefender and came here because I felt strangled and now I see the same thing.  OK, I suppose the firewall can be disabled and the Windows one resurrected but that rather misses the point. Who is paying these Webrooters?
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
What do you do if clicking on the Webroot application does nothing?

And also asking Windows to uninstall Webroot does nothing?

In other words the program has locked me out of my own freaking firewall and control of it. 
Welcome to the community Donal !
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:

In other words the program has locked me out of my own freaking firewall and control of it. 
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

Can you try a forced reboot by holding down the Power Button till it shuts down and then restart it.

Thanks,

Daniel

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello stephanie9377 and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums! ;)

Have a look here at the very bottom of the page: https://detail.webrootanywhere.com/agenthelp.asp?n=Managing_network_applications If you have Windows 8 you will not see that part of the Firewall as it handles it differently please see here: http://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Windows-8-and-Firewall-settings-in-WSA/m-p/25208#M2265

HTH,

TH
That all makes sense, but where is the 'radio' button?
Userlevel 3
Hi!

If you would like to have manual control over what gets allowed or blocked before it connects to the internet, you could configure the program to grant you that control.  You should go to PC Security -> Firewall -> and select "Warn if any new, untrusted process connects to the internet."  There are certainly uses for this feature, but most (if not all) of the blocks you will make will not be for virus issues.  The firewall already interacts with the anti-virus engine by default.  This means that if some malicious code tries to run on your system, the anti-virus shields will already be looking at that and stopping it before it even makes it to the firewall.  That is why the setting is set the way it is by default.  However, if you want to run the risk of blocking things that should not be blocked, you can set the firewall settings higher.  This will allow you to block things that could conceivably break internet functionality of some of your programs if they are blocked.Thanks! 🙂
Userlevel 1
Hi georgeh,

I know how to change settings for active connections. But what's the point in blocking internet access for a program after it connected to the internet? 

ljs199
Userlevel 3
Hi ljs199!

You wouldn't necessarily need to block a program if it is not active. The firewall monitors processes that attempt to access the Internet and monitors the ports used for communicating with the Internet. If it is not active it will not need to be monitored.

But you do have control over whether Webroot SecureAnywhere will allow or block certain processes and port communications.

To change settings for active connections:

1. Open the Webroot main interface.
  2. Click PC Security.
  3. Click the Firewall tab.
  4. At the bottom of the panel, click View Network Applications. > The Network Applications dialog opens.
  5. Click on a radio button to allow or block a process or port address.
Hopefully this answers your question. =)

Thanks!