Solved

Getting a new computer.

• 29 August 2017
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +19
It comes with McAfee pre-installed. Of course I don't want McAfee. I want Webroot. I asked Dell if they could not put McAfee on the pc. But he said "No, it comes pre-installed and if I tried to remove it, it would just re-appear." I find that hard to believe. And I certainly hope it isn't true.

In preparation for the new pc, I have downloaded the webroot installer from JP's signature.

When the new pc comes, should I uninstall McAfee first and then install Webroot? Or should I do the reverse. Or does McAfee need to be uninstalled, if I don't activate it. I guess there's a 30 day free trial. I'm so excited.

Also the pc will have a 500GB ss drive and a 2 TB drive. Should webroot go on the SS or the regular drive? Or maybe it doesn't matter. Never had a SS drive before.
Thanks.
icon

Best answer by BurnDaddy 29 August 2017, 17:53

View original

7 replies

Hi Kev914,

Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community.

Personally, I would uninstall McAfee. But that just me. While Webroot is designed to work with other AV software I don't think its worth the additional drag on resources to do so. You will be protected just fine with Webroot, imho. ;)
I would uninstall McAfee first. I would also use their MCPR software removal tool available HERE (see step 2), as McAfee can be difficult to remove sometimes. Then reboot and install Webroot.

Please follow the steps below closely in terms of installing WSA on the target system/machine!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • Be sure you have or add your Keycode to your Online Console: Webroot SecureAnywhere Online Console
  • KEEP the computer online during the install to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Geek Squad Subscription PC users click HERE). Let us know if it is the Mac version you need
  • Install with the new installer, entering your Keycode when prompted to do so in the install process
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot 
As far as where to install Webroot; I have an SSD and I keep my OS and programs on the SSD and store everything else (photos, music, docs, etc.) on an additional, HDD.

Hope this info helps. Let us know if you have any other questions. :)

BD
Userlevel 5
Badge +19
Thanks for detailed instructions, @. And thanks for you help too, @
Userlevel 7
Welcome, @! Glad I know that my signature came in handy for the first time :D

@'s instructions covered everything. It doesn't really matter whether you uninstall McAfee before or after, but you might as well do it before...never know what funky things it could do ;)
Userlevel 7

@ wrote:
Welcome, @! Glad I know that my signature came in handy for the first time :D

Characteristically modest, @. "I know", of course, are the operative words. It may, who knows, be far from the first time 😉.
Userlevel 5
Badge +19
I did get Webroot installed without any issue. And I did remove McAfee first. There were two items under programs under settings. I removed them both. But apparently Dell support was right. The one item came back. But as far as I can tell, it is not running. I found a way to check to see what anti-virus I was running and only webroot showed.

Thanks again.
@ wrote:
I did get Webroot installed without any issue. And I did remove McAfee first. There were two items under programs under settings. I removed them both. But apparently Dell support was right. The one item came back. But as far as I can tell, it is not running. I found a way to check to see what anti-virus I was running and only webroot showed.

Thanks again.
You're welcome, Kev914. Glad you got Webroot installed. Thanks for letting us know.
If you haven't tried the McAfee MCPR removal tool maybe give it a try and see if it removes the remaining McAfee item, if you'd like. But if it's not running and Webroot is installed then you should be fine.

Take care and have a good day, :)

BD