Getting Unknown Computers popping up in my Webroot account.

Userlevel 1
I thought about being mean and locking them up, but before i do that i need to figure out why i got another year of service and another 4 computers on my account.  I know they dont have access to my webroot account due to amazing password protection, but im worried my account and whoever they are merged somehow.  The console says that i have 9 computers protected and half of them isn't mine.  I can only have 5 on the account..  whats going on?

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi DarkMist

This can happen quite easily if you uninstall and then reinstall WSA on your computer...it has happened to me.  HOwever I am not sayingthat this is the case in your circumstances.  First of all check to see what the name sof the registered PCs are...if they are the same name that you recognise then it is likely due to uninstalls/reinstalls...but to check further run a scan on your clearly registered systems, wait a while for the data to synchronise up into the Webroot Cloud and then check to see when a scan was last run on all the 'registered' systems.  

If you find that all the suspect ones have non current last dates it is ilkely that they are inadvertant residue from uninstalls and reinstalls, etc.  If that is  not the case then I would Open a Support Ticket and get the Support Team to check into the back office systems to see if they can track down the who, what, where from & when surround these 'extras'.

Do let us know what you find out...I for one an very interested to know.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
These are unknown computers. Not ones I own at all.. and my subscription days doubled.  They are not computers i had owned in the past.  Nor are they old installs.  They belong to someone else.
Userlevel 1
I'm reluctant to open a support ticket because in a way, I am getting twice the paid for account protection. I removed them once and now they are back. I could send a command to lock them, but that would be a dick move. -.-
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Probably worth talking to support anyway, just to sort things out. We can give you an extra year on your existing account for being a good citizen 🙂
Userlevel 1
Done ^^ Its ok if they don't do the Good Citizen discount. I'm not sure why it would allow more then 5 computers anyway.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks - just PM me your existing keycode and I can give you extra time.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I'm reluctant to open a support ticket because in a way, I am getting twice the paid for account protection. I removed them once and now they are back. I could send a command to lock them, but that would be a dick move. -.-
And if there really is someone out there responsible for this then they could do the same to you and your real systems?  Definitively best to get it squared away properly.
Userlevel 1
I got a ticket in 😉
Don't know if it is  acomputer or not but have a box pop up that says adobe flash player action script error has occurred #2148

when it pops up can't do anything untill I close it but it won't stay closed - help
Userlevel 7
Hi carol70-ar

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Please take a look at this thread & this thread over at the Adobe Support Forums...they relate to what you have posted about, and the 2nd post in the 2nd thread would seem to suggest a way of rsolving the issue.

Hopefully that will help but if not then post back here.

Regards, Baldrick
thank you for getting back to me although you have to understand I am 70 years old and learned what I know about a computer by just punching buttons myself all this tech stuff is above my head please translate for this old grandma in words a three year old would understand then maybe I can relate. If you ever loved your grandma please help. Carol
Userlevel 7
Hi Carol

Thanks for precising...that helps a lot, and we can try to tailor the assistance offered to suit your level of technical knowhow 😉.

OK, do you know what version of WInodws you are running?  I ask because there are reports on the Web that this issue may be caused by the IE Flash Player for Windows 8.1 for 64-based Systems (with a no. of KB3087916) that may have been automatically installed on your system.

Let me know if that rings a bell with you or if your Windows version is 8.1, and we can go from there if and when yo are next around here.

Regards, Baldrick
Yes it is 8.1 I didn't ask for it had too much trouble with 8.0 didn't want to have to learn a new one but got it any way.
hope that helps it is getting flustrating trying to go on line. Carol
Userlevel 7
Good morning Carol

Hope that you are well?

Thanks...that reply firms up my suspicions as to what the issue is, i.e. itis related to that Windows Update I mentioned previously.

On the assumption that it is you need to go the 'Control Pane'l, then 'All Control Panel Item's, then 'Programs and Features', and finally 'Installed Updates'.

Once there search the list of installed updates for KB3087916 and if you locate it, highlight it and then click on 'Uninstall' (which should be at the top of the page.

See if you can cover that off and then post back, or post back if there is anythiing that is not clear.

Regards, Baldrick
Bless your little pea picking heart that did it such a relief - thank you so much so sweet of you to talk in three year old language for me.Take care and have a wonderful day. Carol
Userlevel 7
Hi Carol

Glad to hear that we were on the right track...sometimes trying to track these things down over the ether can be hit and miss.

Having said that I am sorry to say that if you have Windows Updates set to install automatically then Windows will keep trying to install this update over and over again.

So you have two options to try to deal with that:

1. Go back into the Control Panel and to the main Windows Update control applet and on the left you should see a link labeled 'Change Settings'. Select that link and on the next panel displayed, under 'Important Updates'  change the setting if necessary to "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them" option. Windows will not then automatically install updates that cause problems but it will let you know when there are updates to install.  When it does that you can then go to step 2.

2. In this step when notified that there are updates to install follow the link to get to the Windows Update panel and then select the 'n important updates to install' where 'n' will be the number awaiting installation. Check the list of updates and make sure that the one you have just uninstalled is not being represented for installation (it will be there, I am sure).  If it is just make sure that you check all the updated EXCEPT that one.

And then in the case of that one, so as to prevent it being presented again, position your mouse cursor anywhere over the line in the list & right click. That should reveal a small window with the option to 'Copy details' or 'Hide update'. Click on 'Hide update' and it should never bother you again.

Then if you prefer to have updates applied automatically as before just redo Step 1. but in this case change the setting to 'Install updates automatically (recommended)' and that should be you permanently sorted re. this troublesome update...well, at least until the next one...LOL.

If anything is unclear then please post back and I will look to explain further.

Have a great rest of weekend.

Regards, Baldrick
Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner been busy- I did what you said and set updates to be reviewed before instulation. If I understand you corectly just let it install those that are reccomended? Or is there another way to decide which ones I want- I am not big on changes if I don't have to. I wouls rather not have any updates unless I really need them.
  Again thanks very much for helping. Carol