Have setup password manager in IE but never get the icon with chrome

• 13 February 2016
  • 3 replies

I have been able to set up and save sites in IE for password manager and it works fine. But, never get the icon to have password manager work in Chrome. Have not tried firefox yet. What am I doing wrong? (yes, I always say 99% of the time it is operator error LOL)

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi cruiseguyfl

Well, once WSA has been installed you should get the option to install the Webroot Extensions when you next enter Chrome & Firefox...it is possible that you missed the message offering that as it is not excessively clear.

In terms of Chrome there is a manual way of getting both the Password Manager & Web Filtering Extensions installed and I would be happy to share this with you if you would like...you need to be happy with copying files from a hidden folder to the browser...which is not difficult to do.

Let me know if you are interested in that.

Regards, Baldrick
I will be glad to try and what is the worse thing that can happen? I doubt I will blow up my house. Not a techie but not a total dumbo either. LOL
Userlevel 7
Indeed...your house is very unlikely to be affected...;)

So this is what we suggest when, for some reason, the extensions for Chrome have either been removed or never been there in the first place.  To get around this one can either, with the right link, get hold of them, both the Password Manager extension & that for the Web Filtering Extension, from the App Store or you can use the following workaround.

Navigate to C:ProgramDataWRDataPKG...note that this is a hidden folder and so you will either need to adjust the settings using the Control Panel's Folder Options to view such folders, or you can use the programdataWRData commend in the Search field under the Start Menu and then select the PKG folder from the list provided.

Then, open the Chrome Extensions page in the browser (you should click on the icon with 3 horizontal lines, which you should find in the top right hand corner, select 'More Tools' and then 'Extensions' from the context menus displayed in sequence), and at the top of the Extensions Manager page check Developer Mode to be 'On'.

After that drag the following file from the from the PKG folder to the Extensions page:

lpchrome.crx

(and for the Web Filtering extension you open the 'Chrome' sub folder, and from within that you drag the following file to the Extensions page:

CHROME_1.n.n.nn.crx

Note that there may be a number of Chrome_ files in the folder so always drag 'n drop the one with the highest version no.) 

After each drag 'n drop await the message that one is trying to install a new extension to which you should answer 'Install'.

Once both have been installed uncheck the Developer Mode and enjoy...you should have both extensions now working under Chrome.

Not the official way of getting them installed but I hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick