Solved

Hi. How can I fix "Graphics Ram is Low" analysis from Webroot?

• 26 July 2013
  • 15 replies

First off, after 4 months of using Webroot I will only be using it from now on. Absolutely love it. Even tested it by trying to download Pirate Bay torrents that I knew were infected and Webby didn't let them get through. However I have a question that I know will make me look like a "computer schmuck" but the truth is I am!

When I ran a system analaysis on Webroot yesterday it gives me a score of 99% but it started sayIn I have a hardware problem by saying, "Graphics Ram is low which is impacting performance".

I went to intel and downloaded an update for it but Webroot is still stating that. Also, my System Mehanic utility repair states everything is fine and no problems.
Can someone tell me how to fix this? This is a new computer only a week old and everything about this started yesterday.
Thanks and I appreciate your help!
P.S.
I really am not computer smart so please reply as if you were talking to a cave man. Thanks!
-Bill
icon

Best answer by pegas 26 July 2013, 13:51

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello Bill,

That message is telling you that your display device onboard memory is a little on the low side. Now if you have an onboard graphics card (is this a laptop or desktop?) you may be able to increase the memory as often onboard graphics cards share system memory. If you have a dedicated graphics card there isnt anything you can do. However if your system is running fine and isnt slow when your using it I wouldnt worry about this alert. It wont effect your systems security.
Userlevel 7
Hello Bill and welcome to the Webroot Community!

We are glad you fell in love with WSA :D

As for your question, don't take the said analysis result so seriously. If your graphic is up to date, everything's alright ;) 
Thank you pegas!
Thank you Rakanisheu! It is a desktop but it is running great. I appreciate your help!
What was the answer.?????
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
The answer was there is nothing to be done unless you can upgrade the Video Card.

TH
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
The answer was there is nothing to be done unless you upgraded your Video Card.

TH
Or.. if the graphics is built into the mainboard, some computers allow for changing allocation of the RAM to designate more of it to graphics useage.  But again, if things are working fine and you only know that the Graphics Ram is Low due to the System Analyzer report, you really probably don't have much to worry about.
All well and good but, until two days ago everything was working great. I stupidly allowed a friend to use my laptop and then the trouble started. Hadto uninstall and reinstall google chrome, to get it to work at all and now have major buffering issues, even in just opening e-mails. So, back to the question, could low graphics be a symptom or the problem?
Userlevel 7
Hello juliem, welcome to the Webroot Community!

In your case, if all RAM is still active and working correctly (RAM sticks can and do fail occasionally) I tend to think low graphics memory is a symptom, especially if your video is onboard instead of on its own plug in card.

Due to the fact that everything was working fine until a friend borrowed ot, and a reinstall of Chrome was required after, I am thinking that a  PUA 'infection' got in at some point.  PUA's are mot viruses, they can better be described as annoyware.  They can cause pop-ups, slow or inpredictable browser behavior, eat up RAM etx.

WSA does detect quite a few of them, far more than some other vendors, but not all.  No solution does.

There is a good chance that if Chrome was affected by such a PUA, while reinstalling Chrome may have helped Chrome, IE may also have been affected.  You may want to check your IE add-ons, or simply reset IE.

You also want to review all installed programs.  Look for anything you do not recognize, especially those that have an install date around when the problem started.

If yoy find browser add-ons or programs that you think should not be there, please submit a Trouble Ticket (link below) to have Webroot Support take a look and help ID and remove and PUA's that are on the computer but undetected.
Like the others I got the same message about my Graphics Ram is low". I have a laptop and recently I began to noticed that when I shut down my laptop the screen goes black which it should when shutting down, but the laptop power button stays on and it's take a very long time to shut down.  Could this be related to the Graphics Ram issue?  I have an I5 2.5GHz processor and 6GB of RAM. C drive has 650GB and running on Windows 8.1.  The laptap was purchased September 2013 which is less that two years old. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello and Welcome to the Community Forum, @ 

Well there isn't anything you can do about this Graphics Ram is low message. I wouldn't take this seriously.As long as your drivers are updated there is little else that you can do. Unless you replace the graphics card and that's probably intergrated as well.

As for shutting down? Please have a look here at Microsoft Community help site, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-performance/why-does-it-take-so-long-for-my-laptop-to-shut/577c64e7-d95f-4c9e-b9dd-cda465f94468

EDIT Look here too.  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-shuting-down-time/ccc686fe-cb75-43a0-9865-aa92f8e50a8e

Hope this helps,

Kind Regards,
Userlevel 7
Hi acwoods4

Welcome to the Community Forums.

There is actually a lot of material from some pretty reputable on the web, re. this issue so I would search based on "laptop the screen goes black which it should when shutting down" and then take it from there.

That is what I have done in the past when I have had a hardware-related issue.

Regards, Baldrick
Re: Hi. How can I fix "Graphics Ram is Low" analysis from Webroot?Hello and welcome to the Webroot Community!

We are glad you fell in love with WSA https://

As for your question, don't take the said analysis result so seriously. If your graphic is up to date, everything's alright https:// 
http://community.webroot.com/html/assets/SigSEA.png
  3 Kudos   
Badge +1

Not super impressed with the ‘best answer’: “Don’t take the analysis result so seriously.”

We’re talking about cybersecurity here. About as important as my carbon monoxide detector. Of course I take the analysis results seriously.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Not super impressed with the ‘best answer’: “Don’t take the analysis result so seriously.”

We’re talking about cybersecurity here. About as important as my carbon monoxide detector. Of course I take the analysis results seriously.

Well it is 6 years old. See here: https://community.webroot.com/webroot-secureanywhere-complete-14/system-analyzer-342715#post355109