How may I whitelist OCXCtrl.CAB for surveillance equipment view?

I have surveillance DVR which I view through Internet Explorer 8.   It is dependent on an ActiveX ... which I notice resides at C:Program FilesVideoSystemOCXCtrlOCXCtrl.ocx.        I used Firefox for all other browser needs.

I looked into IE and found reference to Webroot, under "Tools, Manage Add-Ons": I disabled four references, to no avail.
I looked into Webroot, and whitelisted here and there... it's confusing... to no avail.  What DOES work is to Shut down Protection completely... not what I want.

Please advise.  Thank you.

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Sorry for your issues..by the way Hello jbecich..maybe. @ can jump in here to advise...Are you around David? Or I may add you can put in aSupport Ticket to Webroot and they'll be able to address this.
Userlevel 7
Hello folks, yes I am still around :)

OK, while I do understand the problem, I do not understand quite where you 'whitelisted' within WSA itself, so I am going to go over all I know and hopefully will not miss anything.

• Open WSA
  • Click the 'gear tool' next to PC Security
  • Click Block/Allow Files tab
  • Look to see if the file in question is listed here.  If yes, make sure it is set to Allow.  If it is not listed, click the Add File button at the bottom.
  • Try to start the program in question
  • Click the 'gear tool' next to Utilities
  • Click the System Control tab
  • Find Control Active Processes, and click the Start button
  • Look to see if the file is listed here, and if so set it to Allow
Hopefully that will get you up and working for the moment without having to disable protection entirely when using that software.  You should also submit a Trouble Ticket, regardless of if the above steps work or not.  That way Webroot Support can take a look at things and hopefully Whitelist it globally in the Cloud so that it will be fixed for all users.

Please let me know if this helps get it working!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi @ no wonder you are at the Bronze level..you are explicit in explaining and diagnosing issues...

Thank you,;)
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi @ no wonder you are at the Bronze level..you are explicit in explaining and diagnosing issues...

Thank you,;)
I have TripleHelix to thank for that... When I arrived here on the Community I may have known a bit more than the average user, but I knew nothing compared to what I know now.  I am still learning daily 🙂
Thank you for the detailed, method-based answer. I was unable to add the .ocx file, under PCSecurity gear, though I arrived at the screen you recommended. Under Utilities gear, I found no reference to my .ocx or anything close to that, and I found no way to add anything either.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Thank you for the detailed, method-based answer. I was unable to add the .ocx file, under PCSecurity gear, though I arrived at the screen you recommended. Under Utilities gear, I found no reference to my .ocx or anything close to that, and I found no way to add anything either.
I admit, I have never had to add a .ocx file, nor to I recall a previous need to do so on previous threads... @ and @ , do either of you have anything that I have missed?

Also, as I said go ahead and get a Trouble Ticket filed either way.  In the event that a .ocx file is for any reason not able to be locally allowed by the user, Webroot Support may be able to whitelist it globally and that would fix the issue.  Obviously being the Easter weekend, response from Support may be slower than usual, and I would not be surprised if they would be inable to before Monday.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Yes@DavidP1970. You are smarter then the more then average user and yes we can definitely learn from @ and of course our special @ is at the top of the leader scale but you are close to the top ranks yourself and it nice to be humble there..

Have a Great day...and again thank you for all you do...
Userlevel 7
Hi David

Yup, come across them (stands for OLE Control eXtension, BTW).  Have checked what you had described in your ealier post and can find nothing that you have missed.  In fact I located a .ocx on my system and folllow your instructions and was able to add it successfully under the 'Block/Allow' feature.

Interestingly enough I have occassionally seen this behaviour with other files types.  It is rare but unexplained, and what I have found the best thing to do is to reboot and then try again...that usually fixes the issue for me...but have never had the issue or tried to fix it re. a .OCX.  But worth a try as I can see no reason as to why a file with that extension cannot be so added/have proved that it can be.

Hope that helps?

Regards

Baldrick
Thanks for the replies. I'll let this posting attract other answers for a day or so. Surveillance DVRs are commonplace, with my viewing tactic equally commonplace (as evidenced, seemingly, by YouTube tutorials on activating IE to view a surveillance DVR over IP). I believe others must have solved this problem before me. Let's see if anyone can post their solution. I must go now, to return tomorrow. Thanks again.
Userlevel 7
Thanks for the lookover, I appreciate it!
Userlevel 7
I have searched the Community for issues with that file name, and no results come up, so we have not had this particular file discussed before.

I do have one other thought: Do you have the most recent version of the software installed?  If not, you might want to install the most recent version. My thinking is simply that the most recent version might not have the same problem, and also even it if does perhaps WSA still catch the file in question and give you a chance to allow it during the install.

I do not have much confidance in that, but it might be worth a try.
Userlevel 7
Hi johnbecich

I am convinced that the inability to add the .OCX is an intermittent issue with WSA...so do check out whether you can do so after you next reboot.  If that clears that issue then yo can progress with the underlying issue of getting your DVR to work with WSA.

Please keep us posted on development/progress...this is of interest to us re. assisting users who may call out this or a similar issue in future.

Have a great Easter.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Hi David, nice to be able to repay the same that yo uhave done many a time for me in the past, buddy. :D

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi David, nice to be able to repay the same that yo uhave done many a time for me in the past, buddy. :D

Regards

Baldrick
We have all said it before, and we will say it again in the future... TEAMWORK!!
Though I am now getting a bit.... 

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Uh oh Where's our @ .....;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@ In this case the file is being loaded and interacting with Internet Explorer, which involves another protection feature and additional checks. Some of the configuration of which which may or may not be completely user controllable - I'm not sure if this requires the involvement of Webroot support to fix "in the cloud."

Try this: Identity Protection gear > Application Protection 

Is anything in there under Deny or Monitor?

You may also want to right click on the green W icon, Save a Scan Log, open what you saved, scroll to the end, and see if you see any lines that say "Monitoring." If you do, paste them here.
What I did to solve this issue, was turn all the webroot features off. And then turn each feature on until the DVR page stopped loading. In my case turning off "Identity Shield" allowed the DVR to finally load.
Userlevel 7
Hi pkroker

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Did you try to register the relavant item under the Identity Shield?

Regards, Baldrick