I downloaded Webroot Complete because my computer was running slow. Why is it still running slow?

• 2 January 2015
  • 2 replies

I purchased this product because my computer was running very slow and I feared I had a virus.  After downloading the program, it seems my computer is even slower.  Anyone know why?  I tried to chat with a representative but it appears that option is not available.  Help.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello trbarnes,

Welcome to the Community Forum,

Installing WSA on an already infected computer will usually work to locate and remove infections, however there is a chance that there is more on the computer slowing it down than just malware.  A computer that has been unprotected for an extensive period of time of has non malware problems we call Potentially Unwanted Applications. (PUA's)

These are not malware, but they will slow a computer down.  Things like browser toolbars, search helpers, registry cleaners, the list is long.  WSA does detect and remove a lot of them, but no application can find them all.  WSA is picky: it only detects those that while not malware are intentionally very difficult to remove.

I think you will see a good improvement from installing Webroot, see how it does and then also take a look at this KB Article that helps explain how to identify and remove any that Webroot doesn't detect, and you can submit a Trouble Ticket as well.  Webroot Support does also help to remove any PUA's that remain on the computer after scanning with WSA.

Hope this helps and if not let us know!

Regards,

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

To add to what Sherry said can you give us any info if you had Security and what it is and if it's still installed? Also system specs and how old the system is?

Thanks,

Daniel 😉