Solved

Identity shield and browsers

• 28 May 2017
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi, I use Epic browser, is it supported by the identity shield?
And what other browsers are supported?

regards
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 28 May 2017, 14:57

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi escafandro

Welcome to the Community Forums.

The Epic browser I am fairly sure is not supported in terms of the Identity Shield related extension; the Web Threat Filtering extension, only the mainline browsers such as IE, Chrome (& derivatives), Firefox (& derivatives) are currently supported. A notable exception here is Edge for which we are still waiting MS to 'open up' the extensions to allow Webroot to provide a version.

Having said that even without the Web Threat Filtering extension one can get excellent protection from the Identity Shield for a pp such as Epic that is not automatically covered. All you need to do that is to 'register'/record the executable of the app in question under the Identity Shield. To do that:

In addition should you wish to protect your private data then you can defined the components of Edge under the Identity Protection Shield, as follows:

1. Click on the gear/cog symbol to the right of the Identity Protection tab in the main app panel.
  2. From the panel displayed select the Application Protection tab.
  3. On the next panel click on the 'Add application' button
  4. Using the dialog opened by the above navigate to the Epic installation folder
  5. Once there locate & select/highlight  the main application or .exe component of Epic (not sure what that will be but often it  has the same name as the application).
  6. Click 'Open' get the application component 'registered' in the Application Protection window.
  7. Make sure that the entry for the .exe is 'Protect',
 and thereafter WRSA will protect your browsing with Epic as it does but default for Chrome, IE, Firefox, etc.

Hope that helps? But if nbot then please come back with further questions and we will do our best to answer them.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Ok, then adding the Epic executable under the application tab I would be covered by the Identity and Phishing shields, correct?

No problem with the lack of the Web Threat Filtering, my main concern is about protection for online banking transactions.
regards
Userlevel 7
Hi escafandro

Yes, or to give you the full monty on Indentity Protection:

Identity Protection protects you from identity theft and financial loss. It ensures that your sensitive data is protected, while safe-guarding you from key loggers, screen-grabbers, phishing schemes, and other information-stealing techniques. 

Identity Protection consists of two shields: the Identity shield AND the Phishing shield.

Whilst WRSA automatically adds mainline/supported browsers, on first use, to the protected list, one can provide additional security for software applications that may contain confidential information, such as Instant Messaging clients or tax preparation software. By protecting these applications, you secure them against information-stealing Trojans like key loggers, man-in-the-middle attacks, and clipboard stealers. 

When adding manually to the list one can determine which of the protection levels is assigned to them; those that are marked Protect (“Protected applications”) are secured against information-stealing malware, but also have full access to data on the system.

As a by the by one may want to add financial management software to the category.

When you run a protected application, the Webroot icon in the system tray displays a padlock).

Hope that clarifies and puts your mind at rest?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Yes, thanks.
Only one thing If another user had the same doubt, the lock is only show if the webroot icon is always visible in the taskbar, if it is hidden not.
regards
Userlevel 7
Hi escafandro

You are most welcome. Always please to try to help. :D

In terms of your follow up question the answer is 'Yes'...the Golden Padlock will only show up if the Green WRSA icon is showing in the Notification area of the taskbar (on the far right hand side) but it should be as the deafult setting for this is 'Show system tray icon'.

If that is not showing in the Notificaiton area then the 'Advanced Settings' should be checked. The setting that one would be looking for can be found under the 'Install Settings' tab, and can be switched on/off there.

Hope that answers the further question?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Do you know why the padlock sometimes goes away?
It happens with any browser and it usually reappears after reboot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Do you know why the padlock sometimes goes away?
It happens with any browser and it usually reappears after reboot.
Hello!

Do a test and you will see! The Browser must be focused so if you click within the browser the padlock will show but click on the Taskbar and then the Browser is not focused anymore and the padlock will disappear so click back into the open browser to get focus back and the padlock will return.

HTH,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 1
Hi, yes I know, I mean that happens with the window of the browser being active.
It's happening to me right now as I write this response (in Chrome).
regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi, yes I know, I mean that happens with the window of the browser being active.
It's happening to me right now as I write this response (in Chrome).
regards

Do you have all your browsers listed in the Identity Shiled? If not add the one or ones that you use and are missing from the ID Shield. 

Maybe doing a clean reinstall will fix your issues.

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • Be sure you add your Keycode to your Online Console: Webroot SecureAnywhere Online Console
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Geek Squad Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and DO NOT import any old settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
Please let us know if that resolves your issue?

Thanks,

Daniel