Solved

identiy shield question

• 26 October 2018
  • 45 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15
I fully understand that Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome and Opera are the only browsers supported by Firefox. I understand that Edge is not. However if I enter Microsoftedge.exe and Microsoftedgecp.exe into the identity shield Application protection screen in Webroot, even though it makes Edge unusable I see the little gold padlock on the Webroot icon in the task manager, as I do with Firefox, Chrome and Opera. When I put the Vivaldi.exe into the identity protection screen I do not see the little gold padlock. I was under the impression that the gold padlock showed when the executable program was entered into the Webroot identity shield application screen and that program opened. Am I wrong?
icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 28 October 2018, 16:52

View original

45 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Well Edge is protected by the Web Threat Shield if you go to a bad website but you will not see any search annotations because they don't support the Webroot Extensions. I hear it's on the list to get them added to Edge and the same with the ID Shield but time will tell.

Please Kudo this Idea: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange/Add-support-for-Microsoft-Edge-within-Identity-Shield/idi-p/315420

HTH,
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
 TripleHelix Well Edge is protected by the Web Threat Shield if you go to a bad website but you will not see any search annotations because they don't support the Webroot Extensions. I hear it's on the list to get them added to Edge and the same with the ID Shield but time will tell.

I understand the issue with Edge, but my question is in regards to the Vivaldi browser and Identity shield. I was able to install both the web filtering extension and the password manager.  I entered the Vivaldi.exe program into the Identity shield appIlication screen in WSA.  My question is why I do not see the little gold padlock on the Webroot icon in the taskbar.  I was under the impression that when the application .exe file was entered into the identity shield application screen and entered that .exe program the little gold padlock would  appear.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
 TripleHelix Well Edge is protected by the Web Threat Shield if you go to a bad website but you will not see any search annotations because they don't support the Webroot Extensions. I hear it's on the list to get them added to Edge and the same with the ID Shield but time will tell.

I understand the issue with Edge, but my question is in regards to the Vivaldi browser and Identity shield. I was able to install both the web filtering extension and the password manager.  I entered the Vivaldi.exe program into the Identity shield appIlication screen in WSA.  My question is why I do not see the little gold padlock on the Webroot icon in the taskbar.  I was under the impression that when the application .exe file was entered into the identity shield application screen and entered that .exe program the little gold padlock would  appear.

Sorry I didn't read far enough. It could be Vivaldi is just not supported like most other Browsers. And I understand what you are saying but I have not been testing other apps within ID Shield for awhile.

Google Chrome® 11 and newer
Internet Explorer® version 11 and newer (Windows XP IE8)
Microsoft Edge® (partial support)
Mozilla® Firefox® version 3.6 and newer
Safari 5 and newer
Opera 11 and newer
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ have a look here: https://docs.webroot.com/us/en/home/wsa_identityshield_userguide/wsa_identityshield_userguide.htm
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ I did a quick test by adding Outlook.exe and the 2 Snagit exe's and I do get the Padlock on the Tray Icon with none of my Browsers open, so please try again by adding the Vivaldi.exe to the ID shield and make sure the Browser is full screen and click anywhere within the Browser to give it Foreground Focus and then look at the tray icon and see if the Padlock shows?

Userlevel 5
Badge +15
 @TripleHelix

Thank you for doing that for me.  You have confirmed what I believed: That placing an .exe file in the identity shield application screen  and then opening that .exe file produces a gold padlock in the webroot icon on the task bar.  What I do not understand is why when I do that with Vivaldi.exe there is no gold padlock.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
 @TripleHelix

Thank you for doing that for me.  You have confirmed what I believed: That placing an .exe file in the identity shield application screen  and then opening that .exe file produces a gold padlock in the webroot icon on the task bar.  What I do not understand is why when I do that with Vivaldi.exe there is no gold padlock.

Is there another exe for Vivaldi somewhat like Edge?
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
I searched my hard drive and there is only one vivaldi.exe program and that is the one my shorcut on the desktop points to.  This has me puzzled.
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
 @TripleHelix

Well things have changed within Edge as there is only one .exe now on Windows 10 1809 build so I will have to do more testing! Unlike I posted here in March: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Adding-Microsoft-Edge-to-Protect/m-p/315407#M21087

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
I searched my hard drive and there is only one vivaldi.exe program and that is the one my shorcut on the desktop points to.  This has me puzzled.
Maybe contact support they might see something to make it work? Unofficial of course.
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
 @TripleHelix

Well things have changed within Edge as there is only one .exe now on Windows 10 1809 build so I will have to do more testing! Unlike I posted here in March: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Adding-Microsoft-Edge-to-Protect/m-p/315407#M21087

Rats when I add Edge to the ID Shield I see the Padlock but still can't type in the address bar. :(

Userlevel 5
Badge +15
@
Thank you for looking at this.  I hesitate to contact support because I know they are busy and I consider this a minor issue.  Mabe I will wait a few days.  I know that Baldrick and some others here have used Vivaldi so I'll just wait and see if sombody else jumps in.
Userlevel 7
Hello there!

You rang?

Have double checked the addition of vivaldi.exe to Identity Protection and it is the case that despite this the 'Golden Padlock' is NOT displayed when it is used post addition.

I find a single .exe located in "C:UsersusernameAppDataLocalVivaldiApplication", so it looks like this is one for the Support Team as all here believe that irrespective of being officially supported or not by Webroot, the 'golden padlock' should be visible.

Regards, Baldrick
FWIW, try ...
C:UsersjmsAppDataLocalApplicationvivaldi.exe

I C "padlock" with new default Vivaldi install.  
Regards w Respect
Userlevel 7
Nope...sorry but that does not work, as previously stated.

I C "padlock", as previously stated.

Regards w Respect
adding pic

Userlevel 5
Badge +15
Hi Baldrick,

First let me thank you for your response to my post on Vivaldi and Identity Shield.  You found exactly what I found.  I probably will contact support even though this is a minor issue and they are probably up to their ears in work regarding the VPN.
As an aside, what do you think of Vivaldi?  I have tried just about all the browsers.  I have become disenchanted with Chrome and Firefox.  Edge is as useless as a screen door on a submarine and I was disappointed when Opera was sold to the Chinese a couple of years ago.
Vivaldi has features that no other browser has.  I love the tab stacking that I talked about in a post elsewhere.  You can have two websites open side by side on your screen.  For example a map on the left with street view on the right so if you are going somewhere you know to turn right at the Chevron station.  The note taking lets you make notes without leaving your browser.  The quick commands are useful and have recently been updated.  Being a fast typist I appreciate that I can do everything without my fingers leaving the keyboard for a mouse.  No other browser can do all these things plus it seems to respond and load pages faster than any other browser.
Because of all that and more I have made Vivaldi my default browser which is why I would really like to see that gold padlock.
Regards.
tmitch06905
FWIW ~ YMMV 

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:

I C "padlock", as previously stated.

Regards w Respect
My installation is not like that, but as per the path previously posted, and there is no 'Golden Padlock' in sight!

Userlevel 5
Badge +15
BJM
You show a path to Vivaldi as C:UsersjmsAppDataLocalApplicationvivaldi.exe.  The path on my machine is C:usersThomasMitchellAppDataLocalVivaldiApplicationVivaldi.exe.

There is no sub folder Application under the folder Local.  Only a Vivaldi folder with a sub folder of Application where the Vivalde.exe file is located.  It is this path that is in my Identity shield and shows no gold padlock.  Why is your path different than mine and Baldricks? And why would it make a difference.  I always thought that if a .exe file was in the identity shield and opened a gold padlock show. The fact that you show a gold padlock and Vivaldi has a different path than me or Baldrick has me very confused.
@ wrote:
BJM
You show a path to Vivaldi as C:UsersjmsAppDataLocalApplicationvivaldi.exe.  The path on my machine is C:usersThomasMitchellAppDataLocalVivaldiApplicationVivaldi.exe.

There is no sub folder Application under the folder Local.  Only a Vivaldi folder with a sub folder of Application where the Vivalde.exe file is located.  It is this path that is in my Identity shield and shows no gold padlock.  Why is your path different than mine and Baldricks? And why would it make a difference.  I always thought that if a .exe file was in the identity shield and opened a gold padlock show. The fact that you show a gold padlock and Vivaldi has a different path than me or Baldrick has me very confused.
I installed Vivaldi just to test for "padlock".  I'm not experienced Vivaldi user.  Maybe, I did something wrong.  I added shortcut path and saw "padlock".    Just tried to help.   

Edit: adding pics

Userlevel 7
Hi tmitch06905

No worries...I had noticed that a few times when using Vivaldi (I have a number of browsers which I use; Maxthon, Vivaldi, Iron, Edge, Chrome & Firefox, to name but a few)

In terms of Vivaldi...I like it but I would not say I would prefer it over Chrome or a Chromium derivative like Iron every time.

It has its strengths which includes some features that other browsers have, but then again Maxthon has features that Vivaldi does not...so in my book it is horses for courses, given that not everyone would necessarily be interested/appreciate or need/want to use all of the features you have specifically mentioned. Which is not to discount them, I hasten to add.

But everyone is looking for speed, probably more than anything else and so that tends to be my base line benchmark.

So in terms of that I find that on my system Vivaldi is up there with the best...but then again the latest offerings from Opera & Iron seem just as speedy if not more so. And both Chrome & Edge have improved/are improving, with only poor old Firefox still lagging behind...at present.

Personally, I have left my default browser as Edge...and tend to use it for the things that currently it does well, and use the others including Vivaldi for specific activities.

FInally, I should point out that it is not just Vivaldi that has this issue; Maxthon also is in a similar position in that if its .exe is set to 'Protect' then it will not launch. One has to set it to 'Allow' before it will launch, if registered under Identity Protection.

So, bottom line  is, it is complicated.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
I find it very interesting that BJM just installed Vivaldi and is installed to a different path than Baldrick and me and he sees the gold padlock.  Just for the halibut I am going to back up my Vivaldi profile folder, completely uninstall/reinstall Vivaldi and see what happens.
@ wrote:
I find it very interesting that BJM just installed Vivaldi and is installed to a different path than Baldrick and me and he sees the gold padlock.  Just for the halibut I am going to back up my Vivaldi profile folder, completely uninstall/reinstall Vivaldi and see what happens.
I installed Vivaldi just to test for "padlock".  I'm not experienced Vivaldi user.  Maybe, I did something wrong.