Solved

IEx32 'page display' error/conflict w-WSAC ?

• 16 February 2013
  • 7 replies

With OS Vista x64, after the following Windows (security) Update: Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB2797052)
... the IEx32 browser gives the error "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" ... but, IEx64, Chrome, and Firefox all work correctly! 
I've done all the recommended fixes, following a 'restore' to the date prior to the KB2797052 update, full functionality returns to the IEx32 browser. Then again, following this mandatory 'security' update loading, the IEx32 browser (and only IEx32) gives the same error.  When I click off the WSAC protection, the IEx32 browser works fine.

Has anyone encounter this? All brilliant intuitions about fixes are greatly appreciated ??  :S

~Thx very much,  Travel_Runner
icon

Best answer by JimM 16 February 2013, 23:35

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello CiaoBelli and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums.

Can you have a look here to see if IE32bit is being Denied if it is please put under Protect and please report back. Also can you tell us what verion your using as the most lastest release is v8.0.2.109

Thanks,

TH

Userlevel 7
It could be any of the following as well, in addition to what TripleHelix mentioned:
1. We aren't interacting properly with IE because there is something wrong with IE that is being triggered by the update
2. There could be something malicious in IE
3. There could be something broken in IE (like a plugin)
4. There could be something not broken in IE until the patch is applied, and WSA is having a negative interaction with the broken item
5. It could be something else I'm not thinking of.

The first step should be to reset IE prior to doing the update.  That will fix #2 sometimes, #3 most of the time, and might help with #4.  In IE, that's found under Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Reset.  Then run the update again and see if the issue persists.

If it does, take a look at your browser plugins and disable anything you don't need that might still be enabled.  That's in Tools > Manage Add-Ons.  If you need to restore again first before being able to get into Manage Add-Ons, that's ok, but do another reset as well before updating again.

If the issue still persists, and because of the possibility of #2 and #5, I'd suggest putting in a support ticket at that point so Support can take a look at your logs to see why this interaction is occurring.
Hi TH,
Thanks ...
First, the WSA version is up to date reported as:  v8.0.2.109

Second,  I completed the 'Identity and Privacy' steps as you outlined ...
.... there are two (2) "IE" browser entries confirmed as "protected" ...
.... however, the program file strings appear to be odd, possibly incorrect, perhaps you can advise whether these strings are typical, or if they flag something being wrong ... they start out with a string of numbers as follows:
C:windows empie94817.tmpie9-neutral.downloadedwow64_microsoft-windows-i..etexplorer-optional_b13f ... (and so on)

... my attempts to add IEx32 (at all in 'Protected Applications') seems to have been rejected since the string values are not added/listed.  Please advise, at this point I expect I will need to proceed through the steps listed in the second post ... any feedback is greatly appreciated !!
~ CB

Hello Jim ... thanks for the detailed response, I just completed the steps 'TH' provided (no change in IEx32) so now I will begin the steps you outlined and will report back asap.

Thank You !!
CB.
Hello JimM, Following a 'restore' to the date prior to the IE update, IEx32 did recover and worked. I 'reset' IE and disabled all 'addons', then checked IEx32 ... it worked up until the IE security updates were again loaded ... now is is exactly the same as before with the addition that IEx64 is displaying the same error message. I will try to enter a support ticket. Thanks to You (JimM) and to TH for your excellent help! ~ CB
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes at this point have all the Updates for IE installed even though IE 32bit isn't working and Submit a Support Ticket as Jim had suggested so they can gather some logs, and your very welcome. ;)

Cheers,

TH
Userlevel 7
CiaoBelli, I was going to try to look up your support case to see if there was a solution within it that might be helpful to others. However, I don't see one created under the same email address you used to sign up to the Community. Was your issue resolved? Perhaps you created the support case under a different email address? If the solution could be useful to others, we'd always be happy to hear about it. 🙂