Import settings not importing all the settings

• 26 January 2014
  • 12 replies

I saved my settings before I format my lappy. then when I installed WSA again, I imported them back, but not all the settings were imported, I cant remember off the top of my head what wasn't correcrlty imported but I would like to infrom you that this import/export for settings is buggy

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Interesting...

I had noticed a couple months ago I had a small issue, but it turned out that the reason was because the last time I had saved the settings was on an install version PRIOR to the install version I was importing to.

In other words, for example, I had saved my settings while on version 8.0.4.10 (Or something like that) and when I imported into version 8.0.4.20 (or something like that) there was a bug.

When I export settings from the current version at any time, and then import to the same version, I have not noticed a problem.

Is it possible that your saved settings were from a prior version?
Userlevel 4
No I installed it for him and the versions were the same
Userlevel 7
That IS strange.  You might send in a Trouble Ticket on that if you see it happen again!
Userlevel 7
Hi MaXimus

Have to say that I have never come across this at all and I am very often uninstalling & reinstalling and exporting/importing settings.  It is a shame that you are not able to to recall which settings failed to import correctly/as expected as that would have been an easy check to undertake.  If you are likely to do this again then may I suggest screenshoting the settings at export & after importation as that will give us a benchmark to base any further action on.

I may try this out myself if I have a few minutes free in the coming week, and will post back if I come up with something.

In the interim please post back if yo do manage to recall even one of the settings affected.

Regards

Solly
Userlevel 4
The call is now for Richard (the OP)
Userlevel 7
@MaXimus wrote:
No I installed it for him and the versions were the same
Well, when did you install it... was the version he originally saved the settings from the exact same version as the current version?
Userlevel 4
yes sir it just happened a couple of days ago and the version didn't change
Userlevel 7
@MaXimus wrote:
yes sir it just happened a couple of days ago and the version didn't change
Thank for the reply :)

As I said earlier, I noticed something a few months ago, but I had an explanation for it.  I am with Baldrick on this one and am going to try to replicate it too so we can help get it fixed if it is a common problem.
Userlevel 7
Hi All

OK, exported settings having made a note of what they were, blanked them all out, saved them & rebooted, and then imported the ones just exported, and compared the settings to those before this...and I could find no difference at all. http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/public/style_emoticons/default/confused.gif     

So no luck there...as I am running the latest beta I will next uninstall that, install the latest released version (v8.0.4.48...is that the version that the OP has?), and then will try the above sequence again to see if there is any difference...hopefully shortly. http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/public/style_emoticons/default/nerd.gif

David, will be interesting to see what your tests come up with.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
I am afraid I have been lazy today: with things going on here at the house I have not had a chance to do it.  I will try it out over the next couple of days though and report what I find 🙂
Userlevel 4
Here is the same bug I discovered in the Gamer's Edition:

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/WSA-for-PC-Gamers-Import-Export-Settings-doesn-t-work/td-p/80175
Userlevel 7
Hi MaXimus

Checked out your other post but as far as I can see it refers to a related issue by dint that it concerns Import/Export but a different issue...which I am going to check out shortly.

Regards

Baldrick