Solved

Importing Password Console "Sites"

• 21 September 2017
  • 2 replies

Hello:
This is a rather lengthy explanation, and so I apologize at the outset.  I’ve tried to detail all the issues and resolution attempts thus far so as to give you a complete explanation.

I’ve been around and about, back and forth with Tech support, trying to resolve this problem.  Getting circular references as each time I message, a new rep responds.  Does not seem to have reviewed the file and provides same instructions (that did not work previously) and cannot seem to answer as to what the Reference error means/how to resolve it.  Tell me to Call In…. and then I listen to a very lengthy message pointing me to the website…. I finally reach a rep and have to explain everything all over yet again.
Can anyone help solve my problem???

I do NOT have generated passwords, nor do I use the Webroot Toolbar.  I log in via the green icon on my taskbar, choose Manage Passwords, Password Manager, and then I get to the Password Console that shows all of my sites, groups, username, passwords, url, and notes.  I go to this console when I need to know a password for a site.  Webroot does not autofill anything for me.
My Password Manager File was apparently corrupted.  When I went to the console I either got a white screen or an overlay.  I had to ‘edit’ a non-overlayed site and then exit before the overlay would disappear.  Had to do this each time I went to the console.  The more pressing problem, which had been occurring for a long time, was….
When I create a site and choose a group name (already in use), Webroot generates a new "group" name, the same as already in use, rather than putting the site within the existing group.
Hence, I end up with multiple groups of the same name.

Here are Just a few examples:

12 sites within 4 Groups of the same name:
Cash Back Sites (2)
Cash Back Sites (1)
Cash Back Sites (7)
Cash Back Sites (2)

6 sites within 3 Groups of the same name:
Crafts - Cooking - Etc(1)
Crafts - Cooking - Etc(1)
Crafts - Cooking - Etc(4)

22 Sites in 15 Different Groups of the same name:
Educational - Reading & Information(1)
Educational - Reading & Information(2)
Educational - Reading & Information(2)
Educational - Reading & Information(3)
Educational - Reading & Information(4)

Tech support said the file was corrupted and instructed me to export the list and save on my laptop, which I did.  I exported by each method, XML, CVS, etc….
Following are messages to/from Tech support (mine plain type, Tech Support in Bold)

Click the green Webroot icon in your browser's toolbar once more. From the options, select the drop-down arrow next to Tools, click "Export To," and select "Webroot CSV File."
3. Enter your Webroot password when prompted and click "Login."
4. When prompted, name the CSV file and select where to save it. Save the file to the desktop or your preferred location.
5. Confirm the password file is located on the desktop or your preferred location if you saved it somewhere else.
Once you have backed up your passwords, please click "Send another message" at the top of this page to let us know so we can safely recreate your account.

I wanted to ensure that I keep all of the groups, sites, usernames, passwords, and notes as shown when click the green icon, choose Password Management, and then I login and go to "Passwords"; when I bring up my list of sites.
I have exported this list and saved on disk so all is ready, I think, to fix my account.
First, Please look back over the issues I've been having.
Then please fix my Password Management Account. I
To ensure the account is handled properly, we would like to work with you directly over the phone to resolve this as quickly as possible.
3 days later and I have NOT received any email or further communication.
Hello,
Sorry about that! We mishandled your ticket and it never got assigned back to me from the escalation team, but they did get that console removed so you should be able to setup a new one now!

Could you please send me the link (you mentioned over the phone) so that I can create a new account with the new email [email removed by moderator] and get this resolved?
First of all, I had logged in to Webroot via the green circle webroot icon on my taskbar. I have no idea how to “Log in to your Webroot account using the Webroot Browser Plugin.” I clicked on “Import Data” under “MyIdentity Actions” and the following instructions appeared.

Import data
Import your confidential data

How to import data from Webroot
You must manually export your data from Webroot and then transfer the data to the below text box. The following steps will guide you through the process.
1. Log in to your Webroot account using the Webroot Browser Plugin.
2. Click on My Identity Tools - Export To - Webroot CSV File.
3. Choose a file location and press the Save button to save your data to a file on your hard drive.
4. Open the saved file using a text editor such as Notepad. Do NOT use Microsoft Word.
5. Copy all of the text and paste it into the below text box.
6. Click the Verify data button below to verify the data.

So then I had already exported data following #1-3 below so I started with #4 and I attempted to follow these instructions, with the cvs file and also xml document but each time received the following error message box after selecting “Verify Data”.

We are sorry, an error has occurred.
Error: ReferenceError: hackutf16to8 is not defined

How do I get my groups/sites back into the new console???
Thank You.
It might take up to 24 hours for any protected devices to sync up with your new console. The browser plugin refers to the password manager toolbar that can be found at the top of Microsoft Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. It will be a small, greyed-out Webroot icon. Clicking on it will prompt you to sign into your Webroot account, after which the icon will turn green, indicating you are logged in. From there you should be able to import your saved password backup file. You can also import your passwords into the 'Password' area of your online web console.

A couple days later and only 1 PC has populated in the new console.  Another laptop and 2 mobile devices still do not appear.

As I explained over the phone, I do NOT have a password manager toolbar!
I have never used a browser plugin. I do not have such on my laptop. I do not have any icon as you describe.
I login to Webroot via the green icon on my taskbar, then select manage passwords, then input my email and main password.
I use my password manager list of sites/groups for reference only when I need a password to visit a site.
I do not save passwords on my laptop and do not use generated password list.

My Password Manager account had become corrupted so I was instructed to export the entire site/group/pw/notes list. I did that and created a new account and now I'm just trying to get that group/site list imported back into the new account.
Please tell me how to import my site/group list and work around the error message as explained in previous message.
  1. Log into your account like you just described. 2. Once logged in, click on the button that says 'Go to passwords' 3. On the next screen, look for 'MyIdentity Actions' on the right hand side, then look for the 'Import Data' underneath and click it 4. A Popup box will appear with a drop-down menu, asking you what kind of file you want to import. Try using 'Webroot' or 'Other' and follow the on-screen prompts. 5. If you are unsuccessful you'll need to call in for support, it's too complicated of an issue to try and resolve through email.
Tried again. Same error message using "Webroot" or "Other" and with each type file I'd exported (CVS, XML, Etc)
Then Tried using "Other" and followed directions adding first line headers for CVS file and received the following error.

We are sorry, an error has occurred.
Error: ReferenceError: hostof is not defined
____________________________________________________________________________________
FYI:  In my list of “MyIdentiy Actions”  Under “Import”  I choose “Webroot” and “Other” as instructed tried copying and pasting the data from CSV file, and also as last resort, the html file.  There is not an option to Import Data from a FireFox file. 
If I have to call tech support again, Is there any way to bypass the message, and connect to a representative, when I call in to technical support?
Could Anyone In The Community Help Resolve This Problem?
I’d Appreciate the Help!
icon

Best answer by ProTruckDriver 21 September 2017, 13:45

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello ASB, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum. :D

Sorry you're having problems with Webroot's Password Manager. Let me ping our Community Manager / Mod to point you in the right direction to get this problem fix. @ @
Userlevel 7
Good thing I had my peppermint tea this morning :cathappy:

I've brought this up with our Support Team. Please respond to the email they sent you this morning, as they will need to work with you over Remote Connection to resolve this.