Solved

Importing Webroot Encrypted data

Userlevel 1
Badge +7
I exported my password/site data using Webroot Encrypted format. I purchased a new subscription and would like to import my saved data into Webroot but Webroot will only allow me to import in the CSV format. Any suggestions on how I can import my data back into Webroot?  Thanks in advance.
icon

Best answer by JimM 4 January 2013, 19:28

View original

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello Gadgetguru and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums.

A Webroot Staff member will be able to help you during the day as they are gone home for the day.

The Community is staffed with Webroot employees that will do their best to help you if you need technical support from 7AM to 5PM MST, Monday through Friday, and 10AM to 7PM MST, Sunday.  The Community is not currently staffed on Saturdays.

http://community.webroot.com/t5/Community-Guidelines-please-read/Looking-for-Support/td-p/10124

HTH,

TH
Userlevel 7
Hello Gadgetguru, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum. 😃
Userlevel 1
Badge +7
Thanks Triple Helix and ProTruckDriver.
Userlevel 7
The toolbar should allow you to reimport via that format easily.  In the Firefox toolbar for instance,the path looks like this:

In the Chrome toolbar, choose "Other," and it will take you to a page with a choice for Webroot.
Userlevel 1
Badge +7
JimM,

Thanks for the response.  After clicking Import, it opens a window to select the file to import.  At that point the only file type it allows is CSV.  The Webroot Encrypted format is XML.  I can't understand why Webroot has the option to export in XML (Webroot Encrypted) but doesn't allow importing in that format. 
Userlevel 7
That's strange, and it's the first I've heard of such an issue.  Does it do this in all browsers or just the one you're trying in?  It's possible this could be a browser-specific issue.  Support is 24/7, and I can take a look for you tomorrow when I'm back in the office as well to see if I can reproduce this issue.  Which browser(s) have you tried in so far?
Userlevel 1
Badge +7
JimM,
  Not sure if I tried it in Chrome but I'm pretty sure I tried with IE9, IE10, and Firefox.  I'll have to test it in each tomorrow when I'm at my home computer.
Userlevel 1
Badge +7
  Ok, tried it in Chrome, IE10, and Firefox with the same result.  Chrome has a message that tells you to export as CSV, and allows you to select any file type to import, but returns the following message after attempting to import the XML:

Found 0 items or could not parse data. If you are importing a file, make sure the file is in UTF-8 encoded.

Userlevel 7
I'm looking deeper into this for you to see what that feature is intended for.  I don't see any clear path for re-importation of that data either, so I've inquired internally as to what function that option is intended to serve. 

The standard method works fine.  If you export to Webroot CSV File and import from Webroot, that will work for you. 

I'll be sure to update this thread again as I hear back about the intended functionality surrounding that option.
Userlevel 1
Badge +7
Thanks JimM,

I cannot export to CSV as that keycode is expired and I no longer have access. 

I had purchased a new keycode and used the Activate a new keycode in the Webroot program but it did not extend my subscription.  At that point, I added a new email address and the new keycode was associated with it.  My old keycode expired.  Webroot support said if I wouldn't have created the new email that they could have linked the new keycode to my original email but since I did, I'm out of luck.  Now their own file format doesn't even work with their program.  Very frustrating.  Maybe they could activate my old keycode for just one day so that I could retrieve my data in the CSV format?

Thanks again JimM for helping out.
Userlevel 7
You're probably not out of luck.  Worst case scenario, we can most likely create a new keycode for you, shut down the newer one with the newer email address, and port over the data from the old one to the newest one we'd be creating for you.  That would be the short-term fix, and I can take care of that for you myself.  If you'd like to do that, please private message me the old keycode, the old email address, the newer keycode, and the newer email address.  Please be sure to label them as such.

Or, we can wait to see what other kinds of responses we get on the inquiry, which might contain some method of how to use that encrypted file.  I'd suggest taking the first action mentioned though to get your issue resolved most quickly.
Userlevel 1
Badge +7
  Thanks to all of Jim's hard work, he fixed my account so I can now acces my data once again.  Thanks Jim!
Hello JimM,

I'm facing similar issue with password manager. I only have encrypted xml and now I'm unable to access password manager because my first key code is expired and now I lost all my saved password. Already opened a support ticket about this problem but it seems support team only replacing key code with new one wihout restoring access to my saved password.

Now everytime I'm trying to login to password manager using webroot toolbar, I'm getting "unknown email address" error

Please help.

Userlevel 7
Hi Andet, and welcome to the Community.

As you have already submitted a Trouble  Ticket, be patient, you will hear from someone.  If you submit a new one, it may drop you to the back of the line.

The password account email addresses are associated to a specific  key code: in this case to your expired one.  Often the account can be moved from an old key code to a new one and restore the Password Manager with no data loss.  Sometimes that does not work cleanly, but you may be able to use the encrypted backup to restore.  Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Hi DavidP,
Thanks for your clear explanation...
Userlevel 7
Andet, I took a look at the support case for you, and this is very similar to the prior situation Gadgetguru had run into.

You have two keycodes and two online accounts. The older keycode / console is the one you are presumably trying to get the passwords from, and the newer keycode / console is the one you are presumably trying to move the passwords to. The older one is expired, which is why you're probably running into issues obtaining the passwords list. So what I've done is added 30 days to the older account as a courtesy so you can export the passwords list.

This time, please export it as a Generic CSV File. There seem to sometimes be some issues with using the "Webroot Encrypted File" option, which you said you had tried before. Support is investigating what can be done about those issues, but the workaround is to use the Generic CSV File option instead.

Then, once it's exported, you can sign in under your other, newer, console user and import the passwords. You can take care of this any time within the next 30 days, but at that point the older keycode will expire again, so please take advantage of the extra time soon. 🙂
Hi Jim, I've just replied the ticket, please take a look.

Thanks,
Hi JimM,

Should I delete the Generic CSV File after I import the data into the new console or does the new console need that CSV file indefinately? It doesn't seem very safe to have that file hanging around.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi JimM,

Should I delete the Generic CSV File after I import the data into the new console or does the new console need that CSV file indefinately? It doesn't seem very safe to have that file hanging around.
Sorry Jim doesn't work for Webroot anymore and someone will be along to help you!
Userlevel 7
Hi CelticBard

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I am not sure as to whether JimM still frequents the Community...I do not recall seeing him around, so I will try to answer.

As far as I am aware there is no need to keep the CSV file that you have used as the mechanism to export/import your password data once you have carried out the import and checked that this has been successful.

As you say it would not be safe to leave that hanging around unless you encrypt the spreadsheet, either withthe built in password protection or using a 3rd party tool.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
Thanks Baldrick!