Inconsistencies in listed application protections

• 30 January 2015
  • 1 reply

I have two computers protected with Webroot. When going into Application Protection one computer had the Opera browser shown to be protected and the other computer did not have Opera listed. Right now, one computer has three instances of the Chrome browser being protected one of which is "new_chrome.exe" and the other computer does not have "new_chrome.exe" listed.
Neither computer had Outlook listed for protection, which is how I got started looking and noticing the differences in what is protected.
I'm wondering why Outlook wasn't added/protected from the get-go on both computers, why does one computer have Opera protected and the other computer doesn't, why does one computer have "new_chrome.exe" listed/protected and the other computer doesn't have it listed?

I'm a novice/inexperienced user, how do I know what is supposed to be added to app protection manually and what is added/updated automatically? If I didn't manually add Outlook and the Opera browser would there be no protection for these applications? Is Chrome protected on the computer that doesn't have "new_chrome.exe" listed?

I submitted a support ticket about this but am wondering what the Webroot Community thinks?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi prickly_cactus

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I have to say that I have no ral answer to the question other than no two computers are identical including what is run & what is running on them at any one time.  As far as I am aware as you work on your computer, WSA automatically adds web browsers to the Protected Applications list and assigns them to the protected status.  But I do not believe that it will attempt to add any other type of application per se.  So if you have not user Chrome on one PC then it will not be listed and if the installation of Chrome differs between PCs (which is more than likley) then WSA may record this differently to.

The online help states here that "You can provide additional security for software applications that may contain confidential information, such as Instant Messaging clients or tax preparation software.", so you shold use that as your guide as to what you should add to the protection list, i.e., any software that may need access to personal or sensitive data.

I personally review the list quite often and will add such apps into it if I fel that I want to make sure that the danger of personal information leakage is possible.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick