Infected & Webroot can't find the problem

• 3 March 2018
  • 1 reply

My father didn't have up to date antiviral.  Told me his computer was acting funny.  I got him a new webroot subscription.  During the initial scan it found several threats.  It removed all, except it froze on the last threat.  I could not get it to do anything.  I tried contacting webroot, but have not been able to get help yet.  After several hours I restarted the computer to break the freeze.  I then reran 3 scans in a row.  Everything seemed OK.
This AM, the small webroot icon in "hidden icons", lower right, gave a warning saying webroot was infected.  I ran a scan that said 'no threats'
However, the log says I had only run 2 scans, whereas I had run 4 scans.  I'm worried about a deeper infection.  Any suggestions?

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +14
No doubt the Webroot 'techies' will suggest a way forward. I have MalwareBytes (Free version) installed on my PC, and have had for several years. The Webroot 'techies' and the Community volunteers have advised in the past that MalwareBytes (Free version) is compatble with WSA and is very good at finding some 'gremlins' which WSA does not, especially PUP's. So subject to other views I suggest that you consider MalwareBytes (Free version) if this is not alraedy installed. There is no real need to buy the paid version which, although it runs constantly it is essentially only doing much the same as WSA. Having two real time systems is not always an advantage. The Free version runs when you ask it to. I do mine, normally once per day & occsionally more frequently if I am a bit concerned about a website I have visited- I also re-run WSA in those circumstances. I hope this offering is helpful.