infected with adware generic_r.UJ and haven't been able to get rid of it for a week. Any thoughts?

Userlevel 2
Good Day all,
   I have two laptops, on my new one I was given webroot with the purchase of the computer.  On the older laptop (Windows 7)  I have used three different anti-virus programs (MSE, AVG, and Adaware by lavasoft)  two of these keep finding things but never get rid of  the source which is a dll file that has been infected.  with avg I am able to see the file that is infected but unable to do anything about it.  I have tried downloading different scanners and programs with the virus free laptop and then using a thumb drive running them on the infected computer but with no success.  Would webroot be able to rid me of this? 

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Mighty,

Welcome to the Community,

Yes, your best option is to issue a Support Ticket https://www.webrootanywhere.com/servicewelcome.asp

Webroot is free with a subscription!

Please let us know if and when if your issue has been resolved so that we can help others.

Best Regards
Userlevel 2
Hey Sherrie,
Thanks for the reply, I guess I should have mentioned that I don't have webroot on the computer that's infected.  Can I used the version of webroot that came with my new computer (best buy version) on my old laptop as well.  Or would I need to buy a new subscription?  Or could I start a ticket for that computer even though it does not have webroot on it?

Thanks for the help
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Mighty,

Would you be able to tell me what version you have of Webroot?

Please have a look here

Because if you have WSA Complete then you can use on 5 deives. If you have Webroot SecureAnywhere Internet Security Plus thats for 3 devices. If you only have Webroot Sercure Anti VIrus is only for 1 Computer.

Sorry but you have get Support from the computer that is infected.

EDIT You could try a free vesrion here http://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/products/trials

Has the Best Buy version expired on your laptop?

Userlevel 7
The Best Buy version is good for three devices, so yes you can use it on your old laptop as well.

:)

If you need help installing it onto the old laptop, the Geek Squad can help with that too.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
The Best Buy version is good for three devices, so yes you can use it on your old laptop as well.

:)
Thanks David! I appreciate your help!;)
Userlevel 2
Hey thank you very much.  I will try to install it this morning and get back to you all.  I believe I still have a few days left on my one month subscription. :D
Userlevel 7
Open WSA on your new laptop, the one that came with the Best Buy Webroot.

Click the 'gear tool' next to My Account
Look to see how many days you have remaining.

NOTE: While most versions of WSA show the number of days remaining on the 'main screen', the Best Buy version normally does not.  Best Buy Subcriptions normally only show the number of days remaining deeper in the My Account area.

While Best Buy does not ALWAYS run a deal that includes a free 6 month subscription with device purchase, that is usually the norm.  It is not common to get only a 30 day unless policy has changed in the last 3 months.

You have have more time on that one than you think :)

Userlevel 2
Ahh yes I thanks again it says I have Internet Security Plus for another 327 days !   Awesome.  I will attempt an install hopefully this evening and then post results.  Thank you both for yor help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Mighty! :D

Your're Welcome and if you have any trouble just come on back and we will be awaiting the results from you later!

Have a Great Day!!
Thanks,
Userlevel 2
Ahhh after realizing I could install this on three devices I installed it on the infected laptop and in the initial scan it found the infected .dll file.  Than on the first re-scan it found an autoupdate.exe virus that it removed.  Now it is doing the third re-scan and I'm so glad I was able to use it.  Thanks again for your help and suggestions.  I'll let you know the final results when I get all done. 

😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Mighty!

That would be great to know the outcome of all this!

Thanks,

Userlevel 2
Hey Sherrie,
   The third scan came up clean and we have been using the computer ever since without any more trouble.  I have also installed internet security plus on my phone using my third device key code for the subscription and have since opened an account with webroot.  This has been a lifesaver!  Now Running Optimizer. 

I'll be watching that computer for a few days and scanning it over and over to see if anythin else turns up.

Thank so much for your time and help, and thanks to Webroot!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Mifghty!

Great News and of course you can come back and visit us for we are a lively group! Webroot is the best i do agree!

Thank you so much for getting back to us. Greatly appreciated!

Take care!

Regards,