Install Webroot Complete On Old XP Box?

• 22 October 2013
  • 33 replies

Userlevel 5
It's just me again. :)

I am thinking about using one of my allowed Complete installs on an old XP box I have. It is currently running NOD32 V6 and has essentially slowed to a crawl since installing V6 of NOD32. I have used ESET products for several years with no problems but I'm pretty sure V6 is the culprit in taking this old box to its knees.

The box was built sometime around 1999 and was a screamer in its day. It now just limps along and I am amazed it still runs. I believe it is (not located here for me to check) a PII 1.8GHz with 512k RAM. It has very little loaded on boot because I jhave attempted to keep it clean. It had Norton on it at first before going to NOD32 but I made *certain* all traces of Symantec were off the HDD and memory before loading NOD32 for the first time.

Do you guys think this old warrior will be capable of running the current version of Complete? Can I expect a better or worse running situation than I am currently experiencing with NOD32 V6?

Thank you for your help!

Phil

33 replies

Userlevel 7
I have installed WSA on worse PC`s! It will run fine, if it was me I would do a clean re-install of Windows XP and then install WSA. I`d expect the PC to run better due to less RAM usage. I would also advise increasing virtual memory, disabling visual effects to help. 
Userlevel 7
Hello Philip10, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum. :D

I ran WSA on my old Dell computer  ( single core !! )  until about a month ago until I put her to it's final sleep.
If it's single core the only slowdown you'll see is in the process of installing WSA. After installation it will run as when you first bought it. FAST! 😃
Userlevel 5
Thanks for the info, Rakanisheu, and the help. I just might reinstall XP but increasing RAM is kind of out of the question. All 4 slots are full so I would have to find and buy 4 new sticks to put in to increase RAM -- and only to 1 Gig. I don't think it's worth spending that cash on a box that old. Besides, the old test rat is about ready to go out to pasture. I have already disabled most everything I can to rescue memory so it's probably already past time to put a bullet in the head of this one. I thought I might squeeze a little more life out of it by installing Webroot Complete and get that memory hog NOD32 off. It just may work.

Again, thanks!
Phil
Userlevel 5
Thanks for the welcome and the good info. That's what I was looking for -- actual experience -- and it sounds like you were running an old dog like me. Mine has been used as a web test bed, a firewall, and many other things over its life. Webroot just might give it new life. It needs help from somewhere. I find myself patting my foot while waiting for it to do something -- even loading Firefox takes WAY too long. I didn't have that issue until NOD V6 came out.

Thank you for the good info!

Phil
Userlevel 7
Philip10 - Looking forward to hearing the results! :robotwink:
Userlevel 5
I will be sure to let you know, Mike. I most likely will do the switch-over and install tonight when I get home. This could be a good marketing tip if Complete helps breathe new life into that old machine. It's fine mechanically and electrically. It's just having the life squeezed out of it by RAM hogs. It would be a *fine* machine for web and email and the like if it was just freed-up a little. We'll see. :)

Phil
Userlevel 7
I would set the System Optimizer to remove old Windows Registry Streams and the Windows/System Temporary folders. I'm hoping we hear positive results! :robotwink:
Userlevel 5
Well, Mike -- NOD32 V6 is off this old warhorse and WRSA is happily co-existing with all this ancient stuff.

On the positive side:
1. NOD32 V6 was using between 60 & 80MB of my limited RAM. WRSA has two threads running, one totaling about 6MB and the other about 600k. Just a *massive* improvement, don't you think? :)
2. I have been pretty good about keeping this reg file pretty well slicked up so WRSA was able to find only 6 entries that could be deleted. Kinda proud of myself on that one. However, WRSA *was* able to remove over 1 gig of junk off my HDD -- much needed space. I had mini-dump files dating back to 2001. Eek!
3. WRSA seems to be getting along just fine with my existing firewalls and other stuff I allow to load -- which is not much.

On the negative side:
1. Kerio started screaming as soon as WRSA was installed. (I think it's female) I quickly found out what that was about and it is now under control.
2. On system check, WRSA told me I need a faster processor, more RAM, a larger HDD, and a few other things. You think :)

All things considered at this point I am calling this changeover a total success. I am going to install Malwarebytes Pro, run for a while, and I will come back with another report.

Well done, Webroot -- well done.
Phil
Userlevel 7
Wow, Phil...KERIO?  That is a blast from the past.  I have fond memories of that little bijou of a firewall.  Used it for many a year until I went all in, i.e., the IS route.

I am not surprised that your load is lightened...WSA is the lightest there is out there as well as being amongst the very safest.

As for the System Analyser recommendations...well, perhaps Webroot have shares in a hardware provider. ;)  No, seriously, I have run it on 4 or 5 PCs and I have never been able to dispute it's recommendations in terms of CPU, RAM, etc.

I think that you will find MB Pro a good fit with WSA...but then again I have yet to come across a mainstream security app that WSA does not really get on with.

So enjoy, and keep us posted.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 5
BTW, I forgot to mention -- while Firefox is somewhat quicker to load it *still* takes a very long time to load. Once it is loaded, it is using an insane amout of RAM. Never noticed that before. I'm thinking the Firefox loading issue may be all on Firefox and nothing else. I may have to install Chrome -- as much as I despise what Google has become.

Phil
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Firefox always knew of the Memory leak but they don't seem to care as the newer systems have much more RAM.

Daniel
Userlevel 5
Yeah, Baldrick -- Kerio. I told you this is an old box. :)

Besides, Kerio 2.1.5 was/is one of *the* best software firewalls out there. Very light and configurable. Unlike so called "firewalls" today, Kerio blocked EVERYTHING unless specifically allowed. I was in the process of treying a few others when I virtually quit using this box -- Look & Stop (Iunderstand he has disappeared -- boogers got him or something), Outpost -- a couple other rules-based firewalls.

Anyway, back to the present. Guess what is causing a heavy load on this system now -- other than Firefox, that is. Malwarebytes Pro. Yep. Uses more RAM than anything else on this box other than Firefox. Go figure.

Phil
Userlevel 5
I don't know that I can attribute this to a mem leak, Daniel. I know about the leak but I think this is all pure load. It's stupid that a browser uses that much memory.

Phil
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I still use Look'n'Stop and it's still good on Win 8 I hear but yes he doesn't support it anymore even though the forum is still open.

Daniel
Userlevel 5
Yeah, Daniel -- it's almost like that saying in the movie. "He just up and runnoft". :)

Phil
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I don't know that I can attribute this to a mem leak, Daniel. I know about the leak but I think this is all pure load. It's stupid that a browser uses that much memory.

Phil
It is and they know it and some reported it using more than 1GB of RAM.

Daniel

Userlevel 5
As I type this, Firefox is using 252MB of RAM on this box containing 512MB. Jeez!!

Phil
Userlevel 5
Wow1 That's crazy, Daniel -- over 261MB RAM for a browser. That's stupid.

Phil
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes sir here is IE10 a Opera 12.16 and I love the last one!

Daniel

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:

Phil
Chrome is no better.. I have it open with ONE tab, the Community.  Here is what mine is using:

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Why so many processes? 😠
Userlevel 7
Hi Guys,

Phil, that's a great idea to install the WSA on the old XP Box.
SecureAnywhere as opposed to Nod, uses less memory and less strain on the CPU with the result that the whole system runs much faster and smoother:D

TripleHelix wrote:
Why so many processes?

Daniel, it's a typical behaviour for Chrome.
That's why I personally prefer FireFox;)

Regards,

Mike
Userlevel 7
Philip10 wrote:

Guess what is causing a heavy load on this system now -- other than Firefox, that is. Malwarebytes Pro. Yep. Uses more RAM than anything else on this box other than Firefox. Go figure.

Phil
Yeah MBAM Pro uses about more than 200 MB whenever I try to use it in realtime. It's best at on-demand with scheduled scanning and updating. Asked Malwarebytes Support both on their helpdesk and forum about reducing the amount of ram usage but they always pointed out that RAM is an issue only to old pcs.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
As I type this, Firefox is using 252MB of RAM on this box containing 512MB. Jeez!!

Phil
That's quite normal. FF uses around 350 MB here. Of course I also open a lot of tabs with it.;)
Userlevel 7
@DavidP1970 wrote:
@ wrote:

Phil
Chrome is no better.. I have it open with ONE tab, the Community.  Here is what mine is using:

That's normal whenever I've used Chrome. More processes of Chrome loads when I use Chrome. It's either because of the number of tabs, extensions or both.