Install Webroot Complete On Old XP Box?

• 22 October 2013
  • 33 replies

Userlevel 5
It's just me again. :)

I am thinking about using one of my allowed Complete installs on an old XP box I have. It is currently running NOD32 V6 and has essentially slowed to a crawl since installing V6 of NOD32. I have used ESET products for several years with no problems but I'm pretty sure V6 is the culprit in taking this old box to its knees.

The box was built sometime around 1999 and was a screamer in its day. It now just limps along and I am amazed it still runs. I believe it is (not located here for me to check) a PII 1.8GHz with 512k RAM. It has very little loaded on boot because I jhave attempted to keep it clean. It had Norton on it at first before going to NOD32 but I made *certain* all traces of Symantec were off the HDD and memory before loading NOD32 for the first time.

Do you guys think this old warrior will be capable of running the current version of Complete? Can I expect a better or worse running situation than I am currently experiencing with NOD32 V6?

Thank you for your help!

Phil

33 replies

Userlevel 7
RAM usage used to be such a big problem to me. But now have increased RAM to 2GB and everything's running so smoothly - thanks to my dearest friend here in the Community.;)
Userlevel 7
Doh! I have to use a load of browser windows here in work.

Userlevel 7
Yeah, a separate process for a separate tab and/or extension and/or plug-in is what I really hate on the new Opera (Chromium). While Opera 12 (Presto) with 20 tabs opened eats max. 700 MB of RAM Opera 17 uses 2GB!
Userlevel 5
@PIInfinity wrote:
Philip10 wrote:

Guess what is causing a heavy load on this system now -- other than Firefox, that is. Malwarebytes Pro. Yep. Uses more RAM than anything else on this box other than Firefox. Go figure.

Phil
Yeah MBAM Pro uses about more than 200 MB whenever I try to use it in realtime. It's best at on-demand with scheduled scanning and updating. Asked Malwarebytes Support both on their helpdesk and forum about reducing the amount of ram usage but they always pointed out that RAM is an issue only to old pcs.

You know, I have *always* been a suppoter of programmers and others responsible for producing software. I simply think they deserve to be paid for their work. That's why I sent contributions to apps like Kerio and MailWasher and others when everybody else in the free world was just using them -- they were "freeware". I piad for NOD32 even though they offered free because I was an early adopter and beta tester. I paid for Webroot before downloading it the first time. That's just the way I am. However, if you don't *want* me to play on your playground, I certainly won't. I will be seeking a refund for this latest purchase from Malewarebytes. No skin off my back if they don't care about customers.

Phil
Userlevel 5
Well, Guys

I didn't really notice the RAM load of programs like MBAM, Firefox, Chromium, etc. on the new PC I have been toying with because it has 8GB installed -- RAM to burn, so to speak. However, I *must* pay attention to it on my old warhorse because it is so limited in resources. I'll be danged if I will allow some pimple-faced geek at any sotware company dictate my use of that old PC. It's off to uninstall and refund land for me. :D

Phil
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Doh! I have to use a load of browser windows here in work.

Ok I guess that beats Firefox high memory usage unbelievable how much Browsers need so much memory today.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
You know, I have *always* been a suppoter of programmers and others responsible for producing software. I simply think they deserve to be paid for their work. That's why I sent contributions to apps like Kerio and MailWasher and others when everybody else in the free world was just using them -- they were "freeware". I piad for NOD32 even though they offered free because I was an early adopter and beta tester. I paid for Webroot before downloading it the first time. That's just the way I am. However, if you don't *want* me to play on your playground, I certainly won't. I will be seeking a refund for this latest purchase from Malewarebytes. No skin off my back if they don't care about customers.
Phil

Userlevel 5
So, guys -- a quick little report on my old XP box discussed earlier in this thread with Webroot Complete installed.

To make a long story short at this point in time -- still in the 1st week -- my old warrior is running just fine,thank you very much. It is running better (faster) than it has in quite some time because it is no longer hampered with a virus scanner installed taking a LOAD of the available limited resources. I have had to relegate MBAM to an on-demand tool because it is just insane how much RAM it takes to sit there doing nothing.

It would appear at this point about all there is to do is gain confidence in Webroot's ability to catch nasties and prevent them doing harm to my machine. I am very pleased with the operational characteristics of the program but catching boogers and slapping them silly is the programs primary purpose. The only way I know to gain confidence is through experience and that takes time. Yes, I greatly appreciate the anecdotal usage information from current users but there's nothing quite like personal experience. I'm headed there.

Thanks so very much for all your help and tips. I feel quite sure I will have many questions in the future.

Phil