Is the web shield is working

• 10 October 2014
  • 11 replies

Web shield is not indicating if the web sites are trusted of malicious. Is this feature working?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello Hinchazon, welcome to the Community!

What web browser are you using?
Userlevel 7
My apologies, but it is 1 AM here and I must get some nap time in 🙂  I did try to wait for a reply before heading out for the night.  SO... let's do it this way  :)

1) At some point over the last 48 hour or so, Google released an update to Chrome.  In this update, the Web Threat Shield APPEARS to be not working when viewing search results.  Instead of seeing the results next to each result on a search, we are seeing a non stop 'loading circle' spinning.

Now on my own laptop, Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit, while the link ratings are not showing up in my search results, I did a second search in FireFox.  In FireFox, I found a website marked red, very very bad.  (Do not try this yourself... this is not exactly safe LOL).  I clicked on the bad result.  The site was correctly blocked.

Back to Chrome... and I opened that same site in Chrome.  Well, I tried to.  It was also correctly blocked in Chrome.

My own feeling is that the Web Threat Shield, while not displaying correctly in Search results, is still correctly blocking bad web sites.  At the same time, I would suggest you use a different browser (IE or FireFox) temporarily.

Webroot is very much aware of this problem, and they are working hard to get it fixed, though I do not have an ETA on a fix at this time.

I hope this helps, but please let us know if you have any further information, or if my guess that you are using Chrome is incorrect!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

Yes there is a current issue with latest Chrome and Webroot is working on it please see here: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Why-is-there-a-yellow-triangle-on-my-green-lock-on-google/m-p/156853#M8868 and Firefox & IE11 are working fine.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Quick update on this.  It's looking like the amount of development work to get this one fixed is substantial, so it won't be an immediate fix.  We are working on it though and we'll keep you updated as more info is available.  In the meantime the web shield still works on other browsers like Firefox.
Userlevel 7
@ 

Whlie the fix may not be immediate, is there an approximate ETA for this at this time?

Also, I did some testing of my own (DO NOT DO THIS AT HOME KIDDIES!!!) and loaded a known bad site into Chrome.  While the Web Repuation marks are not appearing correctly in search engine results, the shield does appear to be blocking known bad sites.  (Of course with no VISIBLE sign that the shield is working until you hit a known baddie, it is a bit risky to rely on it working.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
They didn't give me any other info - I think that this is one of those situations where the scope of what is required isn't fully known yet.  I'll pester them next week if I haven't heard anything further.

Thanks for doublechecking that the blocking is still working.  That matches what other people are reporting on the community.
Userlevel 7
I am pretty good at being a nag... so if next week we don't have an update, I will nag to you, so you can nag higher up 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
A new Web Filter has been released for Chrome to learn more please see here: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Release-Notes/New-Web-Filter-Extension-released-v1-0-2-42-for-Google-Chrome/td-p/162153

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
RE David’s post; ?10-10-2014 02:18 AM
So that’s what happen!  I wish I had known this before I tried to fix what wasn’t broke.
Everything was working fine until 2 days ago. I had trouble connecting to a network printer and ended up turning off WRS per manufacture’s recommendations.  I did final get connected but when I turned WRS back on, I no longer had the green/red circles in my Google searches; they were just blank circles.  I thought I messed something up, so I tried turning off the Web Shield: “Activate browser extension,” and then turning it back on.  That didn’t do anything so I tried removing the extension in Google and reinstalling it. Alas, as you probably know, I couldn’t reinstall it – at least, I don’t know how to.  Now, I don’t even have the blank circles.  I have no idea what sites are safe now.  So I have tried several methods to get the blank circles back, let alone the green/red ones.  Is there no way to do this?  Do I just wait for a Webroot fix?  I have this feeling that I am so lost in cyber space that Will Robinson is about to appear.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello @ can you please Submit a Support Ticket so support can look into it as I had issues with the search annotations as well and still waiting to hear back from support. Also ask them at the same time to whitelist all your unknown files and that should solve your printer connection issues and if the issues continue please tell support to look into that as well and they will sort it out for you.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Hi Tony,

If you're using Chrome you can try reinstalling the Web Filtering Extension from HERE.

To get files whitelisted please submit a trouble ticket as TripleHelix has suggested.

Hope this helps,
BD