Malware Submissions

• 10 May 2012
  • 4 replies
Malware Submissions
Userlevel 7
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 1581 replies

Question

I want to submit malware samples to Webroot.  How do I do that?

Answer

If you have Webroot SecureAnywhere installed on your computer, it's already automatically communicating with Webroot every time it runs a scan.  So if your concern is regarding a file already being scanned, there is no need to send that file to us separately. 
One of the great things about cloud-based protection is that if we find a threat on your computer and that threat exists on other people's computers on which Webroot SecureAnywhere is installed as well, we pick it up there too. 
The same goes for good files.  If we are able to determine that a particular file is safe, we will flag it as safe globally.  There are automated components in the software that ensure this cloud-based process happens efficiently in the background.

However, if you want to send us a file anyway, there are two ways to go about this.
1. You can open Webroot SecureAnywhere, click System Tools on the left side, and click Submit a File.  You will initially see a message stating: "To receive the fastest response to a file inquiry, we recommend writing into our support inbox so that a Webroot researcher will immediately look at the submitted information.  Would you like to open a support ticket now?"  If you click "Yes," you will be able to create a support ticket.  In most cases, this is the best course of action.

2. However, if you click "No," you can still submit a file (up to 10MB in size).  This is recommended if you are not looking for a quick response - for instance if you are submitting the data informationally and do not require one.

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +37
<div class="lia-message-template-content-zone">Hi , i think this is fake av : &lt;link removed&gt;</div>
Userlevel 7
<p>Hi durantash</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>I do not think that this the place for yor post. &nbsp;You would be better off posting that in another forum. &nbsp;If you have a copy of the file you could sumit it for analysis but I suspect that a straight post in the appropriate forum will attract the attention of the Threat Researchers, etc.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>Regards</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>Baldrick</p>
<p>Hi there</p><p> </p><p>I ve seen the submission form but, is there any <strong>email</strong> to send malwares to the malware team?</p>
Userlevel 6
<p>I have an adress in my old submission list but I dont know if its still current.</p><p>@nic could you please check if the researchers have a mailbox for malware samples?</p>