Solved

MS Edge and Toolbar

• 8 December 2018
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9
MS Edge on Win 10 keeps showing a notification in the lower right corner for adding a Webroot extension for malware protection.  Is this a legit Webroot extension?  Thanks
icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 9 December 2018, 18:29

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi daveharney

Well, there is now a Web Threat Shield extension for Edge, from Webroot, which I have installed. This features:

• Browser Annotations - These show the reputation of the site you are currently visiting.
  • Search Annotations - These show the reputation of pages in your browser search results, so you know which sites results are safe to click.
  • Real-time Protection from Malicious Sites - We’ll automatically block malicious sites for you to make sure you stay safe online.
It was part of the beta around the end of October this year, and I think was formerly released there after. If you are seeing the following:

https://community.webroot.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/36685i3CCF287498EF69CD/image-size/large?v=1.0&px=999

then this is legitimate. If you follow the link then you should be able to install the extension to get all of the benefits list above.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Badge +9
Thanks Baldrick,
That helps a great deal!  I didn't want to install it until I knew it was legit.  One problem is that there are numerous posts stating that Webroot has no extensions for Edge as Edge doesn't support extensions.
Hopefully, your comment will clear this up for other folks.  Thanks again.
Userlevel 7
Hi daveharney

You are most welcome. That is what the Community is here for. As I said we saw it in the beta a couple of months ago but it's presence has been kept relatively quiet. :D

Perhaps this is because of the very recent announcement that MS will be discontinuing Edge as the Win10 browser and bringing out a new one based on the Chromium rendering engine. :@

So eventually the Chrome versions already out there will be modified to work with this new browser (set for early to mid 2019...if I recall correctly).

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
Perhaps that's why is so difficult to find this Webroot extension for Edge.  It doesn't show in the Edge list of available extensions and I couldn't find a direct link for installing it.  It pops up randomly in the Edge browser for a few seconds - if you miss that notification there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to install it.
Here it is on the Microsoft Store: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/webroot-web-threat-shield/9nt6c2z1hfnm?SilentAuth=1&wa=wsignin1.0&activetab=pivot:overviewtab
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
Thanks TripleHelix,
I got it installed and it appears to work just as it does in Chrome.  So, your help is much appreciated.
However, it still is a puzzle as to how you found that link?  I thought I looked at all the extensions in the MS Store and never saw it?
I found the link when we were testing it in the Beta Group and I got the link from there! ;)

"The last few days I kept getting messages from the Microsoft Store that there was WTS for the Microsoft Edge Browser but it could never find it but today it found it and I installed it! I also see it has it's own Process. :)

Here is the link from the Microsoft Store: https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9NT6C2Z1HFNM"

Userlevel 2
Badge +9
Thanks TripleHelix,
I got it installed and it appears to work just as it does in Chrome.  So, your help is much appreciated.
However, it still is a puzzle as to how you found that link?  I thought I looked at all the extensions in the MS Store and never saw it?
Userlevel 2
Badge +9
Perhaps that's why is so difficult to find this Webroot extension for Edge.  It doesn't show in the Edge list of available extensions and I couldn't find a direct link for installing it.  It pops up randomly in the Edge browser for a few seconds - if you miss that notification there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to install it.