Solved

My First steps with WSA-C

Userlevel 6
Good Morning America !
Yesterday, thanks to @ who gives me a great help in another topic
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Community-Announcements/Get-the-Best-Deal-on-Antivirus-Protection/td-p/39204/page/3
I have installed WRA-C and activated my Online Account with success:D
One of my devices is an old "Centrino" Notebook and after uninstalling my previous free AV and installing WRA-C, I was very pleased to see that it had given a new lease of life to my old machine :D
Thanks for this amazing product !
icon

Best answer by shorTcircuiT 23 June 2013, 18:20

View original

47 replies

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi all the community,
I would like to apologise for having launched a controversy here:
http://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/What-can-happen-whitout-Internet/td-p/43376
I didn't know that it was a such sensitive issue.
Asklepios, you my friend are the last one who would need to apologize for that in my opinion.  Your question was quite legitimate and one that those new to Webroot pretty much ALWAYS will ask at sometime.  (Myself included... )
It is not your fault that the good question and informative answers were hijacked by someone who was here only to cause controversy.  That can happen at any time and on any thread.  We just have to deal with it and know that it can happen at any time as it does on ANY online community.
Userlevel 6
Thanks Eammon and David:D
Userlevel 7
Totally agree with David. Nothing to worry about Asklepios.:)
Userlevel 6
Merci Amit !
Userlevel 7
De rien Asklepios.:)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi all the community,
I would like to apologise for having launched a controversy here:
http://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/What-can-happen-whitout-Internet/td-p/43376
I didn't know that it was a such sensitive issue.
No need to apologise as things like that happens on all forums and it's not a sensitive issue feel free to talk about anything!

Pas de soucis mon ami profiter de la communauté il ya quelques fauteurs de trouble partout, nous sommes toujours heureux de vous et aider les autres!

Cheers,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 6
Salut
Merci Daniel:D
Merci à tous pour votre amabilité;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Vous êtes les bienvenus mon ami. ;)

Daniel
Userlevel 6
Hi
Yesterday evening (6h30 PM) I was at home and I wanted to try the command via the web console.
I sent the "stop command" to my office PC but this morning (8h00 AM) when I'm arrived at the office my PC was not stopped ;
and strangely it stopped immediately when I open the WSA-C window to see what is the problem:S
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi
Yesterday evening (6h30 PM) I was at home and I wanted to try the command via the web console.
I sent the "stop command" to my office PC but this morning (8h00 AM) when I'm arrived at the office my PC was not stopped ;
and strangely it stopped immediately when I open the WSA-C window to see what is the problem:S
Good morning!  :)

The commands sent by the Console are not instant, they are sent the next time that computer checks in with Webroot servers.  Since the computer was idle at work, WSA was also idle, and did not need to "check in" for any reason.  Once you opened the software, or had you done any other action that would trigger communication between WSA and the Webroot servers such as opening a new file that it may need to check, the command is received.
Userlevel 6
Hello David
Thanks for your explanation.
Now I understand the operating mode but I don't understand its interest?

Userlevel 7
I guess that is a matter of opinion. I use and like the remote commands of deactivate, scan and a few others, but I don't think I have used the shut down command.
Userlevel 7
I like the remote commands. I use them often to control my family pcs. Very useful to me.:)
Userlevel 6
@ 
@ 
Hello
Hum?
I appreciate very much to can stop my remote PC, and this is not possible with WSA remote commands.
Can you explain me what is the difference between WSA remote commands features and TeamViewer that I usually use?

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ 
@ 
Hello
Hum?
I appreciate very much to can stop my remote PC, and this is not possible with WSA remote commands.
Can you explain me what is the difference between WSA remote commands features and TeamViewer that I usually use?

Hey there!

You are correct, the remote commands are a bit limited.  Since the Webroot servers do not "Push" the command out, but rather wait until the client computer (Your remote machine) opens communication first, it is not quite like the mobile version lock function that does the command immidiately.

I am not sure if there is a way to change this behavior, but it sounds like a good item to add as an Idea thread to ask for it!
Userlevel 6
Hi David
Thanks, I'll try to post a new idea thread asap.
Userlevel 6
Hi all
Another important question for me is about Lastpass.
I didn't start to use Lastpass because I'm a bit afraid because I don't know if this feature provides 100% security?
Is it as secure as my brain to keep my passwords safe from prying?
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi all
I didn't start to use Lastpass because I'm a bit afraid because I don't know if this feature provides 100% security?
The best answer to that which I can give is that I am not familiar with any complaints about the system itself being hacked exposing passwords.

It would strongly reccomend that that most users use the feature to generate the passwords instead of picking your own.  It creates them with far harder to crack formats than most people create on thier own.  

In the event that a key logging program was missed by your AV solutions, LastPass does fill in your passwords without use of the keyboard, defeating key loggers.  The passwords are strongly encrypted.

The one thing to be very carefull about is if you export the password file to a csv file.  That is NOT encrypted and would result in the passwords being insecure should the computer have malware on it.
Userlevel 6
@DavidP wrote:
@ wrote:
Hi all
The best answer to that which I can give is that I am not familiar with any complaints about the system itself being hacked exposing passwords.

It would strongly reccomend that that most users use the feature to generate the passwords instead of picking your own.  It creates them with far harder to crack formats than most people create on thier own.  

In the event that a key logging program was missed by your AV solutions, LastPass does fill in your passwords without use of the keyboard, defeating key loggers.  The passwords are strongly encrypted.

The one thing to be very carefull about is if you export the password file to a csv file.  That is NOT encrypted and would result in the passwords being insecure should the computer have malware on it.
Good morning David
I'm starting to understand a bit better how works WSA-C, but I still have many questions to ask;)
  1. lastpass don't works when I signin on this forum!
  2. more important, what will happen if I want to connect to a site "Lastpassed" from a computer which is not one of mine?
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@DavidP wrote:
@ wrote:
Hi all

Good morning David
I'm starting to understand a bit better how works WSA-C, but I still have many questions to ask;)
  1. lastpass don't works when I signin on this forum!
  2. more important, what will happen if I want to connect to a site "Lastpassed" from a computer which is not one of mine?
Good morning Asklepios!

I have some answers :)

1) The Password Manager (LastPass) DOES work with this forum.. but it depends on how you sign in.  If I click the Sign In link, that opens a small secure window and LastPass does not work.  Next time you want to log in, click Reply to a thread.  You don't have to complete the reply, just click it anyway.  The LastPass will log you in this way :)

2) I need help on this one 🙂  As far as I know, you have to have the browser toolbar installed for it to work, so computers that are not your own and do not have the browser plugin will not be able to have it used.

As always, I am glad to answer any questions that I can.. and I happily admit when I don't know too 🙂
Userlevel 6
Hi David
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi David
Anytime my friend!  🙂