It is not a secret that I have the long lasting problems with:
1) the missing padlock
2) the firewall strangely dealing with some applications on my PC
3) the malfunctions of WebShield in Opera and IE9.
It's a quarter of a year when I started to communicate with Webroot staff via the support inbox. I have sent detailed informations and have exchanged a lot of things with the support, I have collected and have sent a few logs and so on. In the beginning and middle of November I have been informed that the issues I have reported are in queue to be addressed but they can't give me a timeline for any fixes right now.
OK, I can understand that if I am experiencing any problems alone and are not hundreds of other users reporting them, I have to give way to more important issues and I don't have a problem with this. It's worth noting, though, item 3) is reproducible and confirmed by other users and by the support as well!
Therefore I am asking how long I have to wait yet? Don't be fooled, I don't think it ironically, indeed. I just want to know when all my issues will be resolved.
Thanks & regards,
Best answer by KitView original
OK, that's needed to be said and you're right. Accepted.
It's a pity and should this be possible, it would definitely be of users benefit to have the feedback that something is wrong or not fully working.
That's a scandal! And I have a faith in Webroot they keep out of such practices.
Hmmm, interesting. Thx for the explanation. BTW, is this valid also for the Czech OS?
Definitely not. You, Joe and all development team have my full belief and admiration for the work you have been doing.
OK I should conclude that I accept your explanations given in your posts in this thread ;)
Thanks & regards,
I agree, I do wish a lot of things were more possible. AV is one of the most frustrarting industries to work in and has been for over a decade. We've got the bad guys fighting against us but we've also got customer demands and frequent misunderstandings - think about hwo many customers get utterly mad when their AV lets one thing through at all because they don't understand that it can't be perfect.
A good example of "Hiding things" comes historically from another AV back in the 90s. If it couldn't scan something, it would put that information in a log hidden deep in the installation directories without an obvious filename and then give up and claim the scan was successful. If we can't scan something, we take that into account in our operations and use that as part of the determination of what's going on. Then we dig deeper because of it.
Another example is how many things will pass "tests" but be bypassed trivially by real malware. We focus on what the real threats are doing, because no matter how good something looks on a test, protecting a real computer against real threats in real situations is more important.
But yes, in any cases where the keyboard scan codes are not a supported keyboard configuration, or cases where non-"supported" characters are entered, they do not go through the filter and thus are not protected. This is also frustrating because there is no good way to fix this. If we are forced to use the computationally-expensive hook, each extra character we check for makes it take longer and longer per each keystroke. If Windows and all the other programs we want to protect would be coded correctly, it would be simple, but we have to operate with them, and they aren't always going to work properly, so we have to take workarounds (the slow hook) that have costs in other places, such as being slow.
So between technology limitations and odd third party code and legalities in countries and such, it's honestly frustrating. We do as much as we can though, so please do keep up the ideas and let us know if you have any issues. Just sometimes our hands are tied.
Wishing you quiet X-mas holidays.