Office 365 Updates

• 4 November 2017
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17
  • Popular Voice
  • 86 replies
I tried to update Office 365 on a Windows 10 Fall Creators Build OS and received an error message that the update failed due to the required files being locked. Webroot is running default settings.

Tried several things, reboot, Office repair short and long and still the same error message.

As a last resort disabled Webroot,  ran Office Update and it installed.  

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi SXR6

Have just tried to update Office365 running under 64bit Win10 Pro & FCU...and experienced no problems...so I am guessing it has nothing to do with FCU, etc., but does seem strange as as I presume that you have updated Office365 prior to the FCU being installed.

Please firstly check under 'Active Connections' (left click on gear/cog symbol to right of 'PC Security' tab, then under the 'Scan & Shields' tab please click on 'View Activie Connections' (whilst trying to run an Office365 update) and check for an Office-related component being registered under the 'Process' column. If you find one check as to whether it is set to 'Allow' or 'Block'. If the latter then change that to 'Allow' and see if the update goes through.

If that does not help then there could be a problem with WRSA blocking a component of the update process. There are essentially 3 key areas where this can happen/a user can override WSA.  These are essentially reached, from the main WSA panel, as follows:

1. PC Security > Block/Allow Files
  2. Identity Protection > Application Protection
  3. Utilities > System Control > Control Active Processes
 and once there the user usually has the options to:

1. "Allow"
  2. "Protect/Monitor"
  3. "Block/Deny"
Under each check for any components of Office  (especially related to the upgrade process) being listed and again check to see what permission it/they have, i.e., it is set to 'Allow', 'Protect/Monitor' or 'Block'.

If not set to 'Allow' then you can change the permissions on the entry(ies), to 'Allow' and see if the update goes through. However, bear in mind that if you need to change an entry that is set to 'Protect/Monitor' or 'Block', please be sure that the file involved is legitimate/safe. If in any doubt then do not do so...you should refer this to the Support Team for clarification.

However, if you have tried all of the aforementioned changes to Shield settings, etc., then I would suggest that you attempt an uninstall/clean reinstall as a last option before you contact Support. If you would like to try that then please follow the steps below closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example:SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here(Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and do NOT import any old settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
Now check again as to whether you can update Office365. If so then all well & good...if not then please Open a Support Ticket to let the Support Team know of your issue; they will look into it for you.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 6
Badge +17
Hi Baldrick thank you for the reply. I did a fresh install of WRSA a while ago and used default settings.
I will try your advice when the next Office Updates are released. 
Userlevel 7
Hi SXR6

No worries. If the issue persists/reoccurs then you always have the SUpport Ticket option, and I could be wrong about it not being FCU-related when in conjunction with WRSA. I will keep an eye out for the next Office365 update & see if that goes OK or if there is an issue highlighted.

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 6
Badge +17
Hi Baldrick I had already lodged a support ticket with Webroot and they have come back with
"Please use this as a temporary workaround: 

1. Open Webroot and select "Advanced Settings. " 
2. Click on "Shields." 
3. Uncheck "Check Files for threats when written or modified". Save the settings and restart the computer. 
4. Retest the issue. ( a reboot may be required for this to take effect) "
Until the next Office 365 updates are released I will have to wait to try any of the solutions. Thank you again for your input and interest.
Userlevel 7
Hi SRX6

Thanks for the feedback. I see that they are ascribing this to the already known issue with FCU. Will be interesting to see how that pans out. Good to know and hopefully be sorted soon.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 6
Badge +17
Hi Baldrick
An update I just installed the latest Office 365 Patch  Version 1710 Build 8625.2127 with Webroot running and no issues.
There was also Windows 10 updates today to Version 1709 Build 16299.64.
So I am not sure where the change has come that fixed the updating issue.
Thank you again for you input Baldrick.
Userlevel 7
Hi SRX6

Thanks for the further feedback. Good tol know that you are sorted.

Regards, Baldrick