On Every Boot UAC Wants Approval for Webroot

• 18 December 2015
  • 20 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
  • Fresh Face
  • 3 replies
Installed: Webroot Secure Anywhere Complete, version 9.0.7.42, Windows 7 Pro, 64bit

On every bootup, the User Account Control panel appears asking if I want to allow Webroot Secure Anywhere to make changes to this computer.

The problem only recently started. Searching this forum I've found one thread here that suggested turning off UAC. That's a convenient solution for anyone who doesn't care about security, but it's a no-go here.

What I need to know is why did this only recently start and how to resolve the issue (in a responsible & professional way).

20 replies

Userlevel 6
I have had the same problem since I had the latest Windows Security updates installed on my laptop.  I uninstalled them to see if that would help and, no, it didn't.

I have put in 2 support ticket requests to find out what the problem is because I am not sure if I am protected.

I have my fingers crossed but I am losing hope that anyone can tell me what is going on and how to fix the situation.
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
? Just wondering if you have had a reply from Support yet?

I have just rebooted for the first time since WSA updated to the 9.0.7.42 version and had the same UAC prompt. We are told that Support are aware of the issue but it seems strange that this issue was not picked up in beta testing but allowed out in a general release.

Nemo
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Is this issue only affecting certain versions of Windows? I am using Win 10 Pro 64bit on 4 Pcs and I'm not seeing this problem on any of them.
Userlevel 6
? - I received a message from support at 1:30AM that i should call the toll free number to speak to tech support and am currently on hold with them with an estimated wait time of 25 minutes.

I will say that when i restarted my computer this morning after it being in sleep mode, once again the UAC window came up asking if i wanted Webroot to make changes to my computer, to which i clicked yes.

At that point, it not only gave me the window on the lower right of the screen detailing that coverage/protection i have with my WSA product, my icon in the task bar on the lower right shows the little yellow lock icon that had gone missing for the last couple of days.

I would like to think that that is a step in the right direction, but i am afraid to click on the program icon to run a manual scan as the last time I did that, my Windows Message Center sent up a big red X stating that I had NO security protections turned on my system. Once it does that, i don't have the ability to turn on my WSA product or the Windows Defender firewall.

I'm just hoping will all my fingers, toes and eyes crossed that they can figure out what is going on and get this back on line and running properly.

Tech stuff freaks me out and the notion that I am unprotected on line ratchets that up to the power of 1000...

Userlevel 6
? I am running Windows 8 and up until this latest issue, my WSA seemed to be running beautifully.  i had installed  the latest Windows Security updates for Windows 8 and then everything went off the rails, so I don't know quite what's going on, and being a beyond lost with tech stuff, i haven't got a clue.  Thanks for letting me know that you're doing well in Windows 10. It makes me think that it's a bug due to my running an older version, which might help tech folks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
?I am running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Pleased to hear that you are unaffected in Win10. :D

? Thanks for the reply - hope Support manage to sort this out for you.

For my part, I patched Windows on 9th December and there was no UAC prompt for Webroot when the system rebooted nor on a reboot on 12th December.
WSA updated to the latest version on 16th December and the UAC prompt did not appear on any morning when I awoke it from Sleep Mode. However I did not reboot until today when the UAC prompt appeared.
To me, It does not look as if it is anything to do with the Windows update but everything to do with the WSA update to 9.0.7.42. It cannot be a coincidence that all the reports on this issue only started appearing in this forum this week following the WSA update.

I would just add that the yellow lock that you refer to seldom appears on my system and when it occasionally does, it quickly disappears again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
?Yes, that's why I thought I would mention it to see if it could help Tech support, does look as though it could only be related to some versions of Windows, I suspect the recent Windows Security updates could have something to do with it as well.
Hope support can soon get it sorted for you now they've been in touch.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Well it was the WSA Web Filter that was the cause and Webroot released a new one on Wednesday v1.2.0.27 which also fixed the UAC issue.

Daniel 🙂
Userlevel 6
? i was able to get through to tech support and thanks to the very helpful and knowledgeable gentleman who got on with me using a remote session, he was able to take care of the problem by removing the file that was causing the problem with my Windows system.

He did say that I can safely download the Windows 8 Security updates that I had feared were causing the problem and should not have any more issues with it now.

He also said that within 36-48 hours the problem should be completely resolved through updates...  at least that's what I think it was.  I know the time frame was correct, but the tech stuff?  I was still in panic mode  hoping to get my system secure.

He also told me, which was a HUGE relief, that even if it doesn't seem like our WSA product is running properly, it is ALWAYS running in the background to provide protection against intrusion, infections and the like, so...

Thank you all for your input and I hope that your issues are resolved quickly, too!
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
? Pleased to hear you have resolved the issue with Support. I will await the further update and hope that this will stop the UAC promt on my system.

? I have had the latest Web Filter since Wednesday and yet still got the UAC prompt this morning. Support's response to gr8auntteffie points out that it is a system issue that they are currently working on and hoping to resolve soon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello all!

I have to say that I continue to get this UAC on reboot of my computer too. 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
@ Pleased to hear you have resolved the issue with Support. I will await the further update and hope that this will stop the UAC promt on my system.

@ I have had the latest Web Filter since Wednesday and yet still got the UAC prompt this morning. Support's response to gr8auntteffie points out that it is a system issue that they are currently working on and hoping to resolve soon.

@ wrote:
Hello all!

I have to say that I continue to get this UAC on reboot of my computer too. :(
 I don't have my UAC on at all, so you must be using it at some level as I don't see any issues.

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ Pleased to hear you have resolved the issue with Support. I will await the further update and hope that this will stop the UAC promt on my system.

@ I have had the latest Web Filter since Wednesday and yet still got the UAC prompt this morning. Support's response to gr8auntteffie points out that it is a system issue that they are currently working on and hoping to resolve soon.

@ wrote:
Hello all!

I have to say that I continue to get this UAC on reboot of my computer too. :(
 I don't have my UAC on at all, so you must be using it at some level as I don't see any issues.

Thanks,

Daniel
Yes I have read  somewhere on the forum awhile back it was posted you can turn off the UAC. So that's what I'll do.

Thanks!;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Yes I have read  somewhere on the forum awhile back it was posted you can turn off the UAC. So that's what I'll do.

Thanks!;)

I have VS covering anything UAC could do and more.

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 6
? Given that i know less than nothing about computers and software, dare I ask what 'VS' is?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
@ Given that i know less than nothing about computers and software, dare I ask what 'VS' is?
Look for a PM!
Userlevel 7
Likewise...I diteched UAC a goodly while back and have VS watching my back with that regard....as with Daniel, cannot say more here but well worth investigating. ;)

And if any one wants some more detailed information then please feel free to PM me.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
? UAC is set at the default level as it always has been on my system. I have not had a problem with it being escalated to the maximum level by Webroot as reported elsewhere.

The general consensus from web searches suggests that it is not a good idea to turn off UAC unless of course one decides to replace it with the well promoted VS. For those of us who like to keep things simple though ,UAC is fine and it's not an issue to allow programs to execute but it just seems strange that all of a sudden, WRSA.exe decides that it needs to be allowed on boot up when it never did before.
Userlevel 7
Hi Nemo

I have no wish to start a polemic on the subject but it is also true that from many sources on the web there is the view that UAC is flawed but unfortunately, unless one uses alternatives (not to be mentioned here ;)) one has no alternatives.

Personally, I would agree that UAC or nothing should go the UAC way...as the lesser of two evils...but really people should be encouraged to look for and use (better IMHO) alternatives.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
?

I think we both agree that UAC should be left on in the absence of installed software that you and others consider superior. I was merely commenting on the doubtful advice that turning UAC off is a solution to having it promt to allow WRSA.exe on bootup.

I am sure that the vast majority of WSA users make use of UAC and this thread and others have been started this week following the latest WSA version that suddenly started this 'promting to allow WSA' behaviour. We are told that a solution is nigh and hopefully that will end the matter.

That is all.

Nemo