Solved

password manager

• 12 February 2014
  • 21 replies

Userlevel 3
Can someone who uses webroot password manager answer this please?When i open ie or chrome,sign into password manager,come to this webroot forum and sign in,is webroot password manager supposed to ask me to save my log in info?It doesnt if its supposed to?
icon

Best answer by shorTcircuiT 12 February 2014, 01:21

View original

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi brihy1

It should as per any other site you might visit...unless you accidently answered a previous request for the site with a click on the 'Never ask again' option that one has.   I have done that by accident a couple of times, and I believe that the only way to reverse that is to go and edit the list of saved sites via the Web Console.

Once in there look on the right hand side of the page for the section headed 'MyIdentity actions' and under there click on 'Never list' which should reveal a list of the sites that have been marked as not to prompt for password save, etc.   Check to see if the Community Forum url is listed there and if so use the 'Delete' option at the bottom of the panel to remove the site from that list.

Regards

Baldrick

PS. I have saved the Community Forum site in Password Manager and use it every time to sign in.
Userlevel 7
When you click to Log In, it opens a pop up box, and the Password Manager is actually not able to access that box either for saving the info or for automatically entering your login information once saved.

There is an easy workaround to this: instead of clicking Log In, simply click any post at random and click REPLY.  That will not bring up a pop up log in box, it will re-direct to a log in page that the Password Manager CAN access.

:)
Userlevel 3
Thanks for the replies
@ that was the problem,thanks very much
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Doesn't even workaround for me.  Still my favorite forum.  Come here to read and learn.  Sad.  Hope for a fix.  I log in manualy each time.  Never list is empty.  Will not save at all.  If I were Webroot I would be embarrased until this was corrected.  Even though, you guys are still the best !
Userlevel 7
Very strange...as I have my Community Forum credentials saved and so all I do is click, sign in, point at the PM, and auto fill the saved credentials...et voila.  Must have misunderstood something or have a very weird PC here. :S
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I've confirmed that the workaround no longer works for me either.  We have a ticket open internally on it, so I'll get that updated to indicate that there isn't a workaround and see if we can get this issue fixed.
Userlevel 7
Might the issue of workaround working or not be browser dependant?  I am using Chrome, but have not tried the workaround on IE or Firefox.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That could be.  I tried it on IE but didn't try any other browsers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
I think you are onto the problem.  I just used FireFox and was prompted to save site.  Have not tried Chrome but I do know nothing on Earth has worked on Intenet Explorer...even manually inserting the credentials via console. Sure hope you can get it fixed.  Thanks and Kudos !
Userlevel 7
Thanks, BlazeTen

I thought that I was going barmy...as I have my Community credentials saved in PM, and I know I did not enter them manually via the Web Console.

But what that means is that there is a workaround; if you use Firefox to login to the Community site, are prompted for the credentials, save them in PM you should then be able to open the Community site via one of the other browsers and when the Log in window appears, just left click on the PM icon in the toolbar, and the site name should appear at the bottom on the context window displayed, allowing you to select it and autofill the fields in the login window.  I do this for any browser that supports PM, i.e., FF, IE, Chrome, etc., as after all there is only one centrally held PM store!

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 3
it worked for me with chrome,ie wont work
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Just now confirmed also that FF and Chrome both work well.  IE still will not.  Strange that website showes in Sites list on Chrome after capturing it with FF but is not being transposed to IE.  Even though.....IE seems to not work even after manual insertion. A bit scary.....concerned about an exploit lurking in the shadows.  Issue is definately browser specific...IE.  Hope something understandable surfaces soon.  My understanding is that when one browser captures, it is transposed to the other two.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi Baldrick  Just read your last post more closely after my last reply...I was redundant.  Apologies ..
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Now after my last post webroot community oddly has finally appeared on its own into my IE PWM toolbar but will not auto fill so still has to have manual login....I'm not going to use it in IE for a while.  Would Toolbar fix correct it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I don't think so - I was using a fresh install and it wasn't working.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Oh and the ticket to fix this has been assigned to someone, so hopefully we'll get some movement on this issue.
Userlevel 7
Hi BlazeTen

Absolutely NO need to apologise...keep on posting/contributing...we will always get some crossover...it is the sign of a vibrant Forum. :D

Agree with you that the behaviour with IE is wierd as I am not seeing that at all...once the credentials are recorded in PM using a browser that does that...I can use the credentials in al other supported browsers with no hinderence.  Thought it might be something to do with the fact that I tend to be testing the latest beta...but that is now the latest release...so we should be on the same level of software.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Thank you NIC for pushing through the ticket on this.  It is my belief that Password Managers should operate in a ZERO DEFECTS environment,  no matter how large or trivial the issue...the same as Admiral Hymen C Rickover said and required  of his United States Navy Nuclear Submarine Fleet.......  Now the safest form of travel on the planet. !
Userlevel 6
The man knew his business...I did my tour in the Nuke Navy...many moons ago! Thanks Blaze Ten!
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
I wonder what the progress is on this issue; if any, since nic had it assigned to someone.???!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I haven't seen any update yet.  I'm not sure what the dev cycle time is, though.  They have to triage all the bugs and assign them to particular releases.