pop ups from ads powered by Info and ads by computer FACTOR

• 9 April 2015
  • 2 replies

I just had computer cleaned by web boot.  I have added noting new and I have been geting pop ups from "ads powered by info" and ads  by computer factor..   I am also solicted to buy added softwre to get rid of them.....What needs to be done?

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello @

Welcome to the Community Forum,,

The “Offer Powered By” advertisments are caused by an ad-supported (users may see additional banner, search, pop-up, pop-under, interstitial and in-text link advertisements) cross web browser plugin for Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome, which is distributed through various monetization platforms during installation. The malicious browser extensions is typically added when you install another free software (video recording/streaming, download-managers or PDF creators) that had bundled into their installation this adware program.
When an adware extension is installed on your computer, whenever you will open a new tab within Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome, an ad from Offer Powered By will pop-up.

If you find you are struggling with resolving these popups then please submit a Support Ticket free of charge with an active subscription. But please try to follow these instructions!

What you are seeing and describing sounds like it may be what we on the Community refer to as a PUA. (Potentially Unwanted Application) These are very annoying at best in that they cause pop-us, redirect your browser home page, and other behavior that may slow down the computer and direct ads your way, but they are not actually doing anything bad like damaging files or stealing information. Often they are installed intentionally by you the user as browser add-ons for various tasks such as quick search tools.. but they also come with the result of added annoying pop-ups and ads. Other times they 'piggy back' with other software that you installed, or try to 'sneak' onto your system entirely.

WSA does detect and remove many PUA's, and more are being added, but WSA does not detect all of them. A simple browser add-on with PUA behavior that is easy to identify and easy to remove is not likely to be detected and removed by WSA. Those that are intentionally difficult to locate and remove are. Please see THIS LINK for more information regarding Webroot's stance on these annoying programs.

For those that are not detected by WSA, please see this KB Article. It has some easy to follow directions on locating and removing PUA's. You may also want to submit a Trouble Ticket, especially if you cannot remove it easily from the directions in the KB Article.

For those that ARE detected by WSA, but cannot be removed automatically, you can submit a Trouble Ticket.  Webroot Support will help you get these annoying 'crapware' off your computer at no extra charge, and the additional examples may help to better automatic removal of that particular PUA for all users in the future.

Remove “Offer Powered By” pop-up ads from Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome

Remove Offer Powered By pop-up ads from Internet Explorer

You can reset Internet Explorer settings to return them to the state they were in when Internet Explorer was first installed on your PC.

If you’re having problems with Firefox, resetting it can help. The reset feature fixes many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information like bookmarks, passwords, web form auto-fill information, browsing history and open tabs.
  1. In the upper-right corner of the Firefox window, click the Firefox menu button ([img]http://malwaretips.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Firefox-menu-button.png[/img]), then click on the “Help” ([img]http://malwaretips.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Firefox-Help.png[/img]) button.
From the Help menu, choose Troubleshooting Information.
If you’re unable to access the Help menu, type about:support in your address bar to bring up the Troubleshooting information page.

• Click the “Reset Firefox” button in the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page.

• Firefox will close itself and will revert to its default settings. When it’s done, a window will list the information that was imported. Click on the “Finish“.

Remove Offer Powered By pop-up ads from Google Chrome

1. Click on the “Chrome menu button” ([img]http://malwaretips.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Chrome-button.png[/img])  on the browser toolbar, select “Tools“, and then click on “Extensions“.
  2. In the “Extensions” tab, remove the HD-Total-Plus, SafeSaver, DP1815, Video Player, Convert Files for Free, Plus-HD 1.3, BetterSurf, Media Player 1.1, PassShow, LyricsBuddy-1, YOffer Powered By 1.2, Media Player 1.1, Savings Bull, Feven Pro 1.1, Websteroids, Savings Bull, HD-Plus 3.5 any other unknown extensions by clicking the trash can [img]http://malwaretips.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Trash-Can-Chrome.png[/img] icon.

Also I'm not finding adds for Computer Factor..CouponFactor,,but not  Computer Factor.

Hope this helps,

Kind Regards,

Badge +1
Thanks for the extensions deletion info. I found quite a few apps that I never installed. I hope this makes it better.

Kindly, Jeannie