Solved

Possible Console Glitch for Single Computer Users

• 3 February 2013
  • 36 replies

Userlevel 7
I decided I need to start a thread on this to track it, but I will refer to other thread(s) as well.

I have submitted an initial trouble ticket, but I have not included the possible console glitch at this time.

Around a week or so ago, I had tested the "deactivation" ability from the console.  Yes, when I restarted the computer the WSAC was indeed deactivated.  I reinstalled, activated and went on my merry way.

In replying to an earlier https:///t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/PC-not-appearing-in-webconsole/m-p/24476#M2132 today regarding a computer not showing up in the console, I logged into my own.  I noticed that my computer is no longer listed in my console. I am not sure how long this has been the case, but I suspect probably from the time I tested the deactivation.

This morning I have ran a full scan. then removed and re-entered my key code, and completed another scan after that. After waiting 30 minutes, my pc was still not showing in the console. I un-installed and re-installed the WSA Complete, activated with key code and allowed it to run the initial scan. After 30 minutes, the PC is still not showing up in the console. 

TripleHelix in reply to https:///t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Webroot-won-t-install-again-WRSC/m-p/24508#M2137 posted a screen shot of his console, PC Security tab.  In his screen shot, it shows the drop down at the top labeled "View".

I do not have this drop down: I currently have only one computer, the one previously deactivated as a test.  I am guessing that if I activate the WSAC on a second, different computer, I will then have the view that TH has, but hereis what I see on mine:

I am guessing that there is a glitch in which if you have only one computer that you have activated, once for some reason you have deactivated that computer (Like I did for no reason other than to test the function), the console will not show that computer again, nor will it show the drop down in which you can access deactivated devices to be able to display that previously deactivated device, until you activate WSA on a different computer.  That drop down is mainly a SORT function drop down, and so with no currently active computers Oother than my previously deactivated one which is filtered out), it does not display as there is nothing to sort.

The software does show that I am protected, and does have the correct number of days remaining. I am having no issues other than the PC not showing up in the console... all features of the software are working correctly. Password Management is working correctly as well.  I am not actually using any backup/synch, but I am able to log into it correctly so it appears that is working as well.

Here are the screen from the Overview and My Account tabs:

Of course if for some reason one were to deactivate ALL PCs on an account that has multiple PC's installed, I would guess the result is the same.  I am not able to test for that today as I only have one computer here at home...

EDIT

I see my screens are really a bit small.. if anyone wants me to post larger sized ones let me know!

/EDIT
icon

Best answer by MikeR 5 February 2013, 23:39

View original

36 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi David,

Go into your My Webroot account and click on your email address at the top right and click on account settings and under Access & Permissions make sure it says Admin under PC Security Console.

HTH,

TH

Userlevel 7
Hi TripleHelix, 

It does, I should have mentioned that in the post.  Thanks for the double check on it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes it would be best if https:///t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/1016 can look into your account to see what's up.

TH
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Yes it would be best if @ can look into your account to see what's up.

TH
I agree.  No huge hurry, as the software and all features are working fine any other issues can take precedence over this.  I just assume that if I manage to create an odd situation, it would be repeated for others users as well eventually.
Userlevel 7
It was showing up as "Deactivated" on the back end. I "Reactivated" your PC and it should reflect in your console later today. Please let me know if it doesn't appear later this evening.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
It was showing up as "Deactivated" on the back end. I "Reactivated" your PC and it should reflect in your console later today. Please let me know if it doesn't appear later this evening.
That should do it.  I assume that if I tested the deactivate feature, others will as well.  Is the best solution in the event I see others with the same situation to Submit A Ticket to have that bit set back as you have done?

EDIT:  That did it..  Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Yes, it helps to have the specific computer name as well. For example: MIKE-PC.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hey Mike,

This would be good for a KB article then we can point other users with the same type of issues when they deactivate.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
I think so too. I will create one and nominate this thread.
Userlevel 7
Thanks again for the fix MikeR!

I am thinking of maybe making a suggestion over in Ideas related to this, but I am not yet sure.  I have a few additional questions first:

Once I have more than one device active, will that the drop down box that was visible in https:///t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Webroot-won-t-install-again-WRSC/m-p/24508#M2137 will be available, as we now have more than one device to sort?  Is it possible for the user to locate the deactivated device on that drop down and allow it to be reactivated or is it a 'read only' listing that will still require a Trouble Ticket to be made to reactivate a device?  I would have tried it myself if I had a second device today.

At the very least the deactivate screen needs stronger wording with a caution that this might not be able to be undone without Support intervention.  The fact that I was able to fully reinstall and use the software on the 'disabled' device without any way to see that the key code was active on the computer is a little troubling.. 
Userlevel 7
You can click "Reactivate" from your online account (picture below). The support ticket needs to be opened in some cases to push the update on the back-end or to speed up that process.

The drop-down menu that TripleHelix has shown should appear when you have multiple devices. The messaging tells you that it will be deactivated and sent an uninstall command. Once you click "Deactivate" you are also given a second message asking if you are sure you wish to Deactivate.

Userlevel 7
Thanks Mike!  In my case, I did not have the drop down, so I could not get to the screen shot that you posted by choosing "Deactivated PC's".  But.. I only have the one computer at the moment, so I was not able to reactivate on my own such as shown in your screen shots.
Userlevel 7
Thank you for clarifying Dave. The addition of the drop-down might not be immediate just so you know for future testing (even if you were to add other devices/machines). It may take time for the online console to update, but opening a support ticket or asking one of us on the community is a fast method of reactivation.
Userlevel 7
Well, 
@ wrote:
Thank you for clarifying Dave. The addition of the drop-down might not be immediate just so you know for future testing (even if you were to add other devices/machines). It may take time for the online console to update, but opening a support ticket or asking one of us on the community is a fast method of reactivation.
From the time that I had finished the re-install and activate until you fixed the back end, it had been 4 hours, and really by the time I first noticed it this morning I think it had been several days in that state.

Would you mind if I did it again to test it a bit?  The lack of it showing correctly did not affect my ability to use the software and features.  If you are OK with me fiddling with it a bit again, I will take some screen shots, notes, and in a few days let you know the results.  Of course that means I might need it fixed at the back end again in a few days.
Userlevel 7
No problem at all! :D

Feel free to test it and let me know if you need the machine reactivated. Also, you could install SecureAnywhere Complete on your Android device (if you have one), and the console could receive an update so that you receive the drop-down menu with the "Reactivate" option.

Also, if you test in virtual environments, you could download SecureAnywhere on your virtual OS to push an update to the console.
Userlevel 7
Well, my Android is 2.1, so I can't do that.  I lost Webroot on it several months ago on an update... (Can't wait until upgrade time... soon, very soon), but I DO have a brother that I can let borrow my key code for a couple days so he can test drive Webroot.  

I will see what I can find out 🙂
Userlevel 7
I wanted to do some testing on my VM because I thought that the drop-down menu should be available at all times and not only when more than 1 device was added.

I found that this menu was available when 0 computers were present in PC Security and it was also available when I activated SecureAnywhere on my test machine (screenshot below).

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I wanted to do some testing on my VM because I thought that the drop-down menu should be available at all times and not only when more than 1 device was added.

I found that this menu was available when 0 computers were present in PC Security and it was also available when I activated SecureAnywhere on my test machine (screenshot below).

MikeR,

How curious.. the drop down was not available to me at all.  Give me a couple of days to complete a test run of my own. Later tonight when at my home computer I will send up the screen shots that show no drop down availble to me with one or no computers protected in PC Security.  Should I post them to this thread or private message you?
Userlevel 7
Posting in this thread will be fine. Just black out your email address so that your personal information is protected!
Userlevel 5
Badge +24
In the webconsole if you click PC security tab from home or any other tab the drop down menu is NOT SEEN
even if there are multiple systems.

But On REFRESH it appears...

Userlevel 7
Dtouch

I will try that tonight when I get home. That might be the only method I have not tried.

Thank you! Will post what I see in a few hours!
Userlevel 7
MikeR, 

The suggestion by Dtouch is spot on correct.  If the drop down does not show, refresh the page, the drop down will appear, and allow to be set for Deactivated PC's.  Once there, you can re-activate the PC.

Every time a change is made, the page automatically reloads, which hides the drop down.  A simple refresh will bring it back.

SO... there is a glitch, but there is a user capable workaround in order to display the drop down.  I fully tested it by deactivating my computer, then navigating with plenty of refreshes to re-activate the computer.  Success.

From the notes that DTouch made, it appears as though he does not get the drop down with multiple PC's, which made me wonder if it is perhaps the glitch is a browser related issue.

By default I use Chrome.  Currently I have Version 24.0.1312.57 m

I loaded the Console in a different browser, Internet Explorer.  And.......
The drop down is there without the need to refresh.  No glitch.

I loaded the Console in another different browser, FireFox.  And......
The drop down is there without the need to refresh.  No glitch.

Conclusion: There is a glitch in displaying the PC Security tab drop down related to the Chrome browser (v. 24.0.1312.57 m)  It is not a fatal glitch as the drop down will appear if the page is REFRESHED, not reloaded.

The glitch does not occur on the other broswer configurations on my own system at this time.

Case Closed.

Many thanks to you all, especially MikeR and DTouch.
Userlevel 5
Badge +24
But it does not appear for me in firefox without a refresh.
Rather than browser.. it can be a minor script error/bug? Javascript?
Userlevel 7
DTouch, 

Ok... case not so closed LOL!

Now we are pusing the limits of my ability.. 

What version of Firefox do you have?  Mine is 18.0.1
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
And I use Firefox 18.0.1 and I don`t have issues. I don`t use ADblocker or No script so it could be an add-on. :@

EDIT: I lied it does the same for me and a refresh brings it back in FF. :(

TH