Possible Hacking

• 6 March 2016
  • 1 reply

Does anyone know what DLL.HOST.EXE is?  Is it a hacker.  It keeps showing up in my file explorer. 

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi Stacia

Welcome to the Community Forums.

dllhost.exe *32 is a process used to host one or more operating system services. The dllhost.exe *32 Microsoft Windows executable file is labeled as: COM Surrogate.

I shuld point out that if this is legitinate then it is a required Windows file and is used to load needed DLL files that are used with Microsoft Windows and Windows programs that run on your computer.

Now, the legitinate version of this file is located in either the c:windowssystem32 or c:winntsystem32 directories; which one depends on the version of Windows you are using.

However, the Poweliks trojan is know to use dllhost.exe *32 COM Surrogate as a process when has infected in a computer. The key appears to be whether or not you are seeing a large numbers of dllhost.exe *32 COM Surrogate using a lot of CPU and RAM on your system. If so then you may be infected by this trojan.

My advice to you would be to Open a Support Ticket ASAP and get the Support Team to check this out for you.

Regards, Baldrick