PW mgr not working for 2 sign-in screens, whats up with that?

PW mgr not working for 2 sign-in screens, whats up with that?

24 replies

Badge +13
Hello...
I am shortly to be a new SecureAnywhere - Complete user, upgrading from Spy Sweeper. During my installation planning, I've been reading about SecureAnywhere's incredibly short scan durations; but also, some folks have indicated that their initial scans took longer. Although it's impossible to say exactly how long the initial scan should take, I was wondering if a range of reasonable durations might be suggested. I'm trying to determine if / when I might suspect things are not proceeding normally.

As a reference point, my Spy Sweeper scans have been taking 14 - 16 minutes. Thanks for your help.

Userlevel 7
Hello dwechs, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum. :D

WSA scans average about 1 to 2 minutes. My 10+ year old computer takes about 2 1/2 minutes.

You can read more here about the difference between WSA and Spysweeper:

https:///t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Old-Webroot-vs-WSA-A-friendlier-brisker-safer-take-on-internet/m-p/5155#M159

Also I have been running Spysweeper since about 2004. WSA is 100% improvement.
Badge +13
Thanks for your response. So, you are saying that, on the average, the INITIAL scan takes no longer than any other scan (1 - 2 minutes)? Do I understand correctly?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes depending on the system! Mine scans in about 30 to 40 seconds as I have an Intel i7 with SSD Drives!

TH
Userlevel 7
My INITIAL scan is the longest scan. All Deep scans should be shorter than the Initial scan.
Example the computer I'm on now:
Initial scan: Approx. 1 1/2 minutes (First scan at installing WSA)
Deep scan: 45 seconds to 1 minute. (All Scans after installing)
Userlevel 7
I guess I was typing while you were posting TH. LOL
I need to learn how to type faster! 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I just wanted to tell the member that it all depends on the system!

Sorry ProTruckDriver :$

TH
Userlevel 7
Hey dwechs,

ProTruckDriver is absolutely right in that a typical scan with Webroot SecureAnywhere takes 1-2 minutes on average (could be a little longer on an really old computer, but still not significantly so). And Triple Helix also brings a good point: Only a fast a new machine, the scan can be even quicker (less than a minute) on average. *PTD and TH...As always, thank you both for chiming in and helping in the thread!*

Typically, though, an initial scan will be longer than every subsequent scan after the install (about 1.5-2 times longer). Without getting too technical, this is because the initial scan needs to hash not just the whole file, but also re-hash critical parts of the file to make sure there isn't an infection. Same procedure goes for archives as well. In an initial scan, Webroot SecureAnywhere will hash the entire archive and then hash all the contents of that archive individually too! In a second scan, it'll hash the whole archive again, see that it is unchanged (which signifies that the contents are all still known) and continue on with it's scanning business!

So that leaves us with an average of 1.5-5 minutes for an initial scan depending on the age and speed of your computer! Hope that helps!

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Userlevel 7
No problem TH, The more info we give the members the more they understand how WSA works. 😃
Badge +13
Hello, all...
I installed SecureAnywhere-Complete and ran several scans. SecureAnywhere is running on a Lenovo T61 laptop with an Intel Dual Core Processor (2.2 GHz) and 2.0 GB of RAM, under Windows XP, SP3.

The initial scan performance was a concern, but successive scan durations improved dramatically. The initial scan of 50,769 files took 21min 37sec, but by the third scan of 40,381 files, the duration was down to 2min 39sec. Webroot’s claim of two minute scans is upheld!

Thanks for your help.
Userlevel 7
Hello bhalm1! Welcome to the Webroot Community!

If you could provide a bit more detail, that would help us quite a bit.  My own Password Manager is working normally this morning so there is no global outage.

Is it on ALL websites that you have the issue?
Is it on specific websites that you have an issue but not others?  Which sites have problems?
On the affected sites, is the login area on the main page itself or is it on a pop-up window?

Any info you can give us would be appreciated so we can try to help :)

Thanks!
thanks David,

Sorry for the short message. the PW mgr works great on all sites except sites that use a second screen to logon. On the first screen you would enter your user name and click login. Then a second screen appears requesting your password. Entering your PW on the second screen allows access to the institution's web site. I have found this type of login on two of my financial institution that I have. Is the away to get the PW mgr to work for these sites?

Bill
Userlevel 7
Bill, 

Not easily, though I THINK it can be done.  It would require a separate PM entry for the password screen.  On that separate entry, you would set the URL for the password check page, the username you have set probably wont matter, you might even be able to leave that blank, and set the password accordingly.

If you endeavor to give it a try, let me know how it does!  I tried something like that on the Webroot Console login to enter the security code, but I was not able to get around the fact that it asks for 2 random digits out of 6.  If the security code digits entered remained the same every time I believe I would have had it working.... (It has been a couple years since I tried that... so details are a little rusty in this old head  :)  )

David

Again, please do let me know how you make out on this..... Even though I nearly had it working in difference circumstances, you have my curiousity up now LOL.  GIve it a shot, let me know how it goes, and we will go from there 🙂
Userlevel 7
Hello Bill, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum. :D

I'm glad you posted this topic because I find it very interesting. After following David's suggestion please post back. I don't use Webroots Password Manager yet. I have been using RoboForm for over 8 years now and some day I'll get around to transferring everything to Webroot. I have found this a problem recently with RoboForm on the double sign-in. One of my financial institutions and now most recently Verizon email account has started the double sign-in. I could sign in to the first sign-in but can't with the second. I'm just wondering if company accounts tighten there belts on security for double log-ins.
Userlevel 7
Well, now I have even more reason to figure it out again :)

Gents, do what you can and let us know how it goes.  If need be, you MAY have to go into some of the advanced settings of the secondary PM entry.

Go to Passwords
Edit the secondary (Password only) entry
Click the Edit Fields button at the lower left corner

In here, you can rename, edit, add fields to the PM entry.  This is where a couple of years ago I was trying to get the secondary Security Code field to autofill when logging into the Console.  Again, if the same two digits were always used, I would have had it working LOL.  

You might need to take a close look at the password only page in the browser to figure out what to name the field for autofill.  As I said, it might not be EASY, but I THINK it can be done :)

If you MUST leave a value in the username for this, since there is no field for it on that second password only page I would suggest you use a garbage value, not the real one.  Just in case.  I am however pretty sure that the username field is not required so it can be left blank.

At the top of the entry, edit the URL to match that of the password only page.

Userlevel 7
@  Have you made any progress on this?  Did the info I gave help to get it working, or do I need to do a bit more reserarch and digging to help make it work for you?

Thanks!
I have not had a chance to try your work around. Been busier than a one armed paper hanger. Been thinking about returning to Norton's PW mgr. Their PW Mgr is a lot better and more user friendly than this one. One gets tired of always having to log in to use it. I will give your suggestion before switching. Thanks for you help . . . Bill
Userlevel 7
Bill, 

Thank for the reply!

Quck question:  You say one must always log in to use it.  That is true, per browser session, but once logged in it should remain logged in until you have closed your browser.  Is it working that way for you?  (Just making sure there is not some strange thing happening here in that it keeps logging you off the PM even though you have not closed the browser.)

It does indeed require a fresh login every time you open the browser, but not for each use.
You know what, I'm just frustrated with this whole webroot thing. It may be an excellent virus program but it ain't worth the trouble/hassle's that I'm going through to make things work in the pw mgr. You should be able to log in to thye pw mgr and stay log in, and be able to log out manually if need be. But for now I'll try to make it work. . . . . Bill
Userlevel 7
I hate that you are frustrated... 

It would really help me to know the answer to the question I posted in my previous reply.  I just want to make sure yours is working as it is supposed to be.  

It IS supposed to, at this time, automatically log you out of the Password Manager if the browser is fully closed, all tabs and windows.

It is, however, supposed to keep you logged in for as long as you keep a browser tab or window open.  In my case, it is common that i log in when I turn the computer on at 530 AM and it stays logged in until I shut the computer down around 11:00 PM.  But only as long as I do not close all browser windows.  

If yours is logging out and yet you have not closed all browser tabs/windows, there is a problem that needs addressed.

two log in screens for the same site, first screen requests your user id, the second screen requests your password.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
two log in screens for the same site, first screen requests your user id, the second screen requests your password.
Hello bhalm1,

Welcome to the Community!

Please have a look here at this thread which you have posted before.

Thanks,

What difference what site it is?

Sites that supply the first screen for the user name, and a second screen for the PW.

Can the auto-log-in webroot handle this scenario? and how to fix my copy. 
Userlevel 7
The Password Manager does not automatically support use of a two screen log in system.  I THINK it can be done, as I noted HERE previously.  Please take the time to read it over.  I am NOT positive it will work, but I think most likely it can.  You simply need two Password Manager entries: 1 for the username and the second one for to fill in the Password.

Thanks 🙂