Solved

Release of WSA add-on for Edge?

Userlevel 5
Badge +15
Greetings all!
I heard (from a MIcrosoft tech) that, on the anniversary of the release of WIndows 10, Microsoft is planning to release an updated Edge that allows add-ons! So we could have a WSA add-on!!!  Can anyone confirm this?

(Lately, it could have been all over the news and I would have missed it.)

Thank you!
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 24 April 2016, 11:27

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi celz1357

Not much has been said on the Forum but I did read this article here https://community.webroot.com/t5/Techie/Extensions-for-Microsoft-Edge-now-available-for-Preview/td-p/244893

So I'm betting some add- ons in Microsoft Edge will be available with the Windows 10 anniversary. There are a few Websites mentioning this.

I cannot confirm this though.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15
Hi SHerry,
That's great to see! Thanks for the link. Edge and WIndows 10 will likely become much more appealing soon!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Sure thing! Yes I think so too but when Microsoft Edge allows Webroot extensions then maybe I will switch. LOLs:D
Userlevel 7
Hi celz1357

Don't get you hopes up as the ability to use addons with Edge will be extremely limited to begin with and tightly controlled. I personally cannot see much progress towards the flexibility and coverage that we have with say Chrome.

And given how new and restricted the facility will be I suspect that it will take the Development Team some time to implement and release an Edge compatible version.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
Hi Baldrick,
Perhaps. Thanks for the caution. 
The Microsoft tech was very nice about it and said the add-on would be up to Webroot developers. He suggested requesting that WR write one, but I told him they were very much aware that we wanted it. 

He did, however, convince me to switch my local account to a Microsoft account so I could use Edge to accomplish a few things I need in the meantime. The breezy easiness of such things makes me very nervous because of all of the info such accounts provide the Internet.  I had been keeping all such info set to "off."  I'm too old-school for this. Yet, here it is. 

Having to change PC passwords once a month is also a concern.  My brain is too cluttered to remember frequently changing randomly generated 16 digit passwords. Hence, WSA!  I wish WR could design a way for us to log into our systems while it kept dynamically changing the passwords to keep MIcrosoft accounts safe. Is that possible? Maybe with a flash key? (I don't know what I'm talking about.)

What do you and everyone else think about "local" verses "Microsoft" accounts on PCs? (Loaded question. Is it appropriate to ask for this discussion here? Hope so.

Thank you!
Userlevel 7
Hi celz1357

No worries...yes, I am sure that Webroot will be producing a suitably complaint addon for Edge as soon as they are in a position to do so...but I suspect that they have first to evaluate exactly how locked down Edge is when it comes to addons...I recall that we had problems with the addons for Firefox when Mozilla changed their approach as to what addons could do and where they could be installed from...that is why I urge patience...as we do not want something rushed out that ends up causing more trouble then benefit due to inadvertently 'breaking' something else. ;)

As to 16 digit passwords...to be honest there is absolutely no need for a password of that length if one takes some simple steps to 'harden' the password, i.e., use of alphanumerics, upper & lower cases, special characters and the like, etc.

As to "local" vs. "Microsoft" accounts...well, I have no strong view but at a push I would say that one is no more secure than the other...it is more a case of the level of paranoia one has in terms of the information that the latter might report back to MS when compared to the former...but given that one can lock down Windows and turn off most of the 'phone home' related conduits I think that it is just another thing for people to worry about, and is somewhat overblown.

For the record, as I understand it...Microsoft accounts offer useful synchronization features, even for desktop users, but is not mandatory if you stick to the Windows desktop; you can continue using a local user account on the desktop without any problems. In terms of local user accounts; they can be used normally after creation, and you should only run into limitations if you attempt to sync your settings, download modern-style apps from the Windows Store, or use certain modern-style apps that require a Microsoft account.

So in the end the choice in part depends on what you use your PC for and whether you have connected devices or not..after all, using a PC should be a useful & rewarding experience in my book. It is there to help rather than hinder so why not let it.

Hope that helps some?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
Thank you, Baldrick.
...Both professional and diplomatic.

Force be with you!
Userlevel 7
Hi celz1357

Thanks, you are far too kind...and making me :$.

Always a pleasure to try to help a fellow Community member.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTM4XWW9ux1MUHAZSYAOku3FtzWiZVPJ2mSMAymbQ_9-GCTYEbVRg

Baldrick
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
Cute "Live long and prosper" card...
Force be with you!
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
Oops: How did my browser pick up celz1357 as title?
Userlevel 7
Hi celz1357

I suspect that it is a temporary thing and that if you clear your browser's cache then normal service should be resumed. ;)

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
Thank you! (hope so: I altered it this time so ID would not appear in title again.)