Solved

Remote Desktop Connection failing

Badge +3
About a week ago (give or take), my Prevx software switched over to Webroot.  I honestly don't know what changes were made, but I DO know that some were.

Round about the same time, my Remote Desktop Connection to another system stopped working.  When trying to connect from my WinXP machine to my Win7 machine, I started getting the following error:

An authentication error has occurred (Code: 0x507).

Anyone know what might have happened?  My next step is to reload a restore point of a couple weeks back, but I'd like to avoid this if there's a simple fix.

Thanks for any help.
icon

Best answer by enchant 20 June 2013, 16:06

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Easiest way to see if its Webroot causing the issue would be to shut it down for a minute while you try to connect to it. If it works then we can do some checks. If it still doesnt work then its most likely another reason why its failing. Without diagnostic logs or Keycode I cant give more info. Try shutting down WSA for a minute and try connecting.

Part 1: Turn off Webroot SecureAnywhere

1.    Locate the SecureAnywhere icon in your system tray.  
2.    Right-click the system tray icon and select "Shut down protection."
3.    A prompt confirming whether you want to shut down appears.  Click Yes.
4.    Depending on your settings, you may have to complete a CAPTCHA for confirmation as well.
5.    Once Webroot is shut down, attempt to connect to your PC.

Thanks,
Roy
Userlevel 7
Hello enchant and welcome to the Webroot Community!

While I was not a user of Prevx, nor do I use Remote Desktop Connection, it sounds like it might be a firewall issue.  

Try this.  Open the WSA software.  Click PC Security tab at the top.  In there, click Firewall tab on the left side.  At the bottom, click View Applications.

Go over the applications listed to see if the Remote Desktop is listed, and make sure it is not set to block.

Somehow I do not think this will work, but it is worth a try.  You might want to submit a trouble ticket for this.  The link for this is below in my signature.

Related to this, I would also try to remove and reinstall WSA, however I am not sure of the best way to do this for Prevx users.  I am not positive on this, but I think you should be able to remove and reinstall by doing the following:

Open the WSA software.  Click My Account tab at the top, far right.  In here, locate your key code, you will need it.  Use the Copy To Clipboard link and then paste the key code into a text file so that you have it saved.

Unintsall WSA.  Download the new version using the PC Download link below in my signature area.  Run the installer and use the key code we copied above to activate.  This might help... you might want to get the Remote Connetion going while WSA in removed, and then install WSA while the Remote connection is still going and logged in.  

Let me know if any of this is helpful!

EDIT

I take far too long to type.. .Roy beat me to it by quite a bit :)

/EDIT
Userlevel 5
I use WinXP to Win7 Remote Desktop every day and both machines are running WSA, so it should not be the problem. Did you change any settings on the Win7 side in relation to security.

I've seen this particular error before in relation to a feature that is present on Win7, but not on WinXP which caused the error to appear in this case. This however should be fixed in Service Pack 3 of XP.

Can you test with a different user to log in to your Win 7 to see if this is for all users or just that particular one?
Badge +3
I shut down WSA, but that didn't make a difference.  DavidP, I checked, and I think that the process is mstsc.exe.  That was listed in the application list as not blocked.

My concern is that WSA isn't actively blocking the connection, but that it might have recently made a change to my system settings that could be causing it.  I know that immediately after I noticed it was running on my system, I started getting alert notices that I'd previously disabled.  I've disabled them again.

All that said, I really have no hard evidence that WSA is the culprit.  I only know that Remote Desktop Connection has been working without a hitch for a few years till last week.
Badge +3
@ wrote:
I use WinXP to Win7 Remote Desktop every day and both machines are running WSA, so it should not be the problem. Did you change any settings on the Win7 side in relation to security.

The Win7 machine is just a simple HTPC.  I haven't made any changes to it in quite a while, unless something automated happened, like Firefox or Flash updating itself.

Can you test with a different user to log in to your Win 7 to see if this is for all users or just that particular one?
Yes, I tried that, but no change, sadly.

Sorry, haven't figured out how this forum software handles quoting.
Userlevel 5
Since no user can connect,  I suggest that you check the following on your Window XP machine: http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/24692-enable-network-level-authentication-nla-in-windows-xp

Please note point 3 of the link if you are not comfortable with using the Registry editor then please don't execute these steps. In that case I suggest you look for someone who is comfortable with using the Registry editor to do this for you.
Badge +3
Thanks Johan,

credssp.dll was already listed there, so I didn't make any changes.

I'd have to think that a refusal such as this would be coming from the destination machine, and WSA probably has nothing to do with anything.  I'm going see if I can restore to a previous point on that machine.  Since I never make any changes to it, it shouldn't be much of an issue. 
Userlevel 5
Please let us know if you were able to resolve it with the rollback of the restore point.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
@ wrote:
About a week ago (give or take), my Prevx software switched over to Webroot.  I honestly don't know what changes were made, but I DO know that some were.

Round about the same time, my Remote Desktop Connection to another system stopped working.  When trying to connect from my WinXP machine to my Win7 machine, I started getting the following error:

An authentication error has occurred (Code: 0x507).

Anyone know what might have happened?  My next step is to reload a restore point of a couple weeks back, but I'd like to avoid this if there's a simple fix.

Thanks for any help.
Hey Enchant and welcome to the community :)

The answer itself is in your first post - the authentication error message with the code 0x507. This is a common error across some specific Windows versions and can be fixed with a few registry changes from the blogpost below.

http://australia-bestmate.blogspot.ie/2011/03/authentication-error-has-occured-0x507.html

Please let us know how you get on with this.

Thanks!
Eamon F
Badge +3
Eamon, thank you!  That did it.  The second half of the fix was already there, but the first part did the trick.

After my last post, I did the following, with strange results.

Restored the destination Win7 machine to June 8.  That did nothing.  So I switched to my source WinXP machine.
I do a clone backup of my C drive every month, so I booted up off May's backup.  I disconnected my WAN cable so there would be no auto updates.  I was able to Desktop Connect fine. 

So I booted back on my main drive and restored to a week ago today.  WSA was running, and the status window said it had been running for 13 hours.  I wasn't able to Desktop Connect.  So it looks like the change must have happened last Thursday morning.

I restored to Wednesday.  No WSA (Prevx was running), and I *was* able to connect.  However...  I opened up this thread to reply with my results, and as soon as I hit a key on the keyboard, my system froze solid.  Rebooted, tried a few applications with no trouble, but as soon as I hit the keyboard for something, it froze again.

Restored to a week before.  Same keyboard freezing results.  Restored back to Thursday, June 13.  Keyboard was fine now, but I again couldn't Desktop Connect.  Back into this thread, fixed registry with Eamon's suggestion, connection works, and the skies are sunny.

But I'm very confused.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
That's great to hear you got it sorted, very coincidental that it did occur around the same time as your upgrade to WSA.

Sidenote: How are you liking the new version of Webroot (formally PrevX)?
Badge +3
Well, it's not like a utility that I "use".  It's just a green icon that sits there and does its job in the background.  So I guess I like it JUST as much as I liked Prevx.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
And I will listen to views like that about WSA all day every day - it's exactly how it should be, thanks very much! 🙂