rollback rx asked me to uncheck the "enable rootkit detection" box in wsr set..so their prog work

rollback rx asked me to uncheck the "enable rootkit detection" box in  wsr settings so their program could take snapshots on sy computers start up.  By disabling rootkit scan does that hurt my protection.  Also, win 10 is saying neither my WRS or WD is protection against spyware???  This notification only coming as of today, after months of using WRS.

Thanks,

Rick

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ?

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

May I ask who is asking you to uncheck  enable rootkit detections? This should be checked! Yes this could hurt your protection!!

For notices about Windows saying you are not protected is I am afraid that this is a known issue (we believe caused by recent Windows Updates) and the Webroot Development & Support Teams are working hard to provide a fix for the issue.

Please see this other thread that provides more details on the subject, etc.

Edited: Look here as well https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Webroot-turned-off-showing-message-numerous-times-on-slide-in/m-p/243811#M16587

Hope this helps?

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi again!

I just read that  is a Time Machine rollback such as Windows Sytem Restore. Right? So to be sure I would
  Submit a Support Ticket and they can answer if this program should be safe to run.This is a free service with your Webroot subscription!
Sherry:

RollbackRX is a program that takes a snapshot of your entire hard drive (a mirror image like) every morning on boot up.  It only saves the most recent 5 or 6 snapshots, so you can rollback your system to the exact condition it was before certain problems develope, if they develope.  I've used this for years and it is much better than Windows default, or Carbonite.  In a few minutes you can get your computer back, exactly as it was, before the problem happened.  Has sved me many times as I tend to get in over my head in many areas of my computer.

Anyway, RollbackRX is a program developed and marketed by Horizon Data Syatems.  They told me that in order for my computer to automatically take a snap shot on the first daily boot up, I had to disable the WRS rootkit scan.  I did this but should have cleared with you first.

I don't run windows firewall or defender as I use your "Anywhere" program for my firewall and virus software. 

Should I go forward with a support ticket??  I was unclear on this.

Thanks,

Rick Boynton
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Rick!

This program certainly sounds good.and to be honest I haven't heard of this before now. It sounds harmless but I really don't like the idea of disabling the Rootkit detection in Webroot.

I would like to ping ? and see what he thinks.

But just to be safe then I would go ahead with that Support Ticket and they can tell you more about this, I just don't understand why RollbackRX wants this to be disabled. So I would like you to ask the experts ok?

Thank you for your reply and all that information. This does sound like a great program to have.;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:

I don't run windows firewall or defender as I use your "Anywhere" program for my firewall and virus software. 

Hi @

I need to let you know that the Windows Firewall (it covers the inbound connections whilst WSA's Firewall handles the outbound connections).

Webroot is designed to work with Windows Firewall. Do not shut it down.

Please see this article from Webroot Community moderator @

Also look here this KB Article for more information on the subject.

Ssherjj:

Thanks, and I will forward a support ticket.  You should google horizon data systems, and check out their Rollback RX program, especially since it has an issue with your root scan.

horizindatasys,com (edited out link)

However, before I submit a support ticket, I am going to enable the root scan in WRS now, and then see if RollbackRX takes an automatic snapshot tomorrow morning when I boot up.  If it does, no issue.  If not, I will send a suppport ticket request.

Rick

p.s. Windows 10 may work differently with Rollback, than 8.1, where I absolutely had to disable the root scan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thank you uffda287 for that..I did Google this last night!:D

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
RollbackRX has access to the MBR so the best thing is contacting support as Sherry suggested as I would assume it just needs to be whitelisted as I've seen this before!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Great, how do you recommend we whitelist it properly?
@ wrote:
Great, how do you recommend we whitelist it properly?
Hi chrisporosky,

Welcome to the Webroot Community.

Please contact Webroot support to get files whitelisted.

You can also call:
1-866-612-4227
Mon-Fri  7am-7pm MST

Hope this info helps,
BD
Userlevel 7
Hi chrisporosky

As the previous posts have recommended...you don't...you Open a Support Ticket to get the SUpport Team to review and hopefully thereafter undertake the whitelisting in the Webroot Cloud.

Regards, Baldrick