Solved

Scan function not working?

Hi Webroot community! I'm hoping you can help me with something, as this has never happened to me before and I've been using Webroot for at least 5 years.

For about a week, my Webroot hasn't been able to perform its automatic daily scan. When I attempt to perform a manual scan, it freezes at 0%, saying it's checking for rootkits. The program itself doesn't freeze, but the scan never goes beyond 0%. I haven't noticed anything strange going on aside from not being able to scan, so I hope the program's still doing its other duties in the meantime.

Is there anything I can do about this? I'd really like to be able to scan again for peace of mind's sake.

Thanks for your time! I really appreciate it.
icon

Best answer by nic 9 August 2014, 00:11

View original

24 replies

Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
Hi Webroot community! I'm hoping you can help me with something, as this has never happened to me before and I've been using Webroot for at least 5 years.

For about a week, my Webroot hasn't been able to perform its automatic daily scan. When I attempt to perform a manual scan, it freezes at 0%, saying it's checking for rootkits. The program itself doesn't freeze, but the scan never goes beyond 0%. I haven't noticed anything strange going on aside from not being able to scan, so I hope the program's still doing its other duties in the meantime.

Is there anything I can do about this? I'd really like to be able to scan again for peace of mind's sake.

Thanks for your time! I really appreciate it.
Welcome to the community Batty!

Sorry youare experiencing this issue.

My suggestion is to contact customer support by submitting a support ticket.

I am curious to know though if you have scans scheduled and if a scan runs at bootup.

This happened on my PC recently when running a manual scan. I shut down my system, did a hard boot and that took care of it.  I do have scaning at bootup.

Have you noticed the WSA version installed? Do you have version 8.0.4.104? There was an update 2 or 3 weeks ago. If you do not see that version number in your console, do an manual update by clicking on check for software updates in my account on your system console.

In any case, please do advise tech support by submitting a support ticket.

Let us know the outcome and please come back often and share your experiences!

Beth

Thanks for commenting, Beth!

I'll for sure fill out a support ticket!

I do have the latest version, yep. Regarding the scan on bootup, I have it set to do that if I don't have my laptop on during the scheduled automatic daily scan (it's set to 5PM). I shut my laptop off completely every night and then turn it back on in the mornings, that's hard booting, correct? So I'm not totally sure if that would help me in this situation.

I hope that helped at all! But just to be on the safe side I will be submitting that ticket.
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
Thanks for commenting, Beth!

I'll for sure fill out a support ticket!

I do have the latest version, yep. Regarding the scan on bootup, I have it set to do that if I don't have my laptop on during the scheduled automatic daily scan (it's set to 5PM). I shut my laptop off completely every night and then turn it back on in the mornings, that's hard booting, correct? So I'm not totally sure if that would help me in this situation.

I hope that helped at all! But just to be on the safe side I will be submitting that ticket.
Hi Batty,

You are very welcome!

Yes, that is a hard boot. If you have had this problem a week now, the hard boot will not do anything as you do that daily.

When you submit your support ticket, please reference this thread and please let us know the outcome so other members who may experience this issue can benefit as well..

Come often and share your experiences! Thats what its all about, sharing experiences and helping each other out!

See you around in the community!

Beth
Userlevel 7
Hi Batty

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Further to Beth's sound advice about opening a Support Ticket, if yo are feeling confident with your own abilities you could, ahead of a reply to the ticket, try an uninstall/clean reinstall of WSA?

If that is of interest in then please do the following (assuming that you are running on a PC and not a Mac...if on a Mac then follow these instructions):

Download a new copy of the installer from here (if bought from Best Buy then from here), and then make sure that you have your keycode handy.  Also, if you have made any settings changes from the default then note them down as you will need to reapply...but hopefully like many of us you run with the main default settings...;)

Thereafter, uninstall WSA, REBOOT, install WSA using the newly downloaded version of the installer entering the keycode when asked (and do not accept any offer to import previous settings if offered by the installer), REBOOT...and then run a manual scan to see if you now get passed the 0% mark.

As Beth has said a Support Ticket is the best option as it gets the experts to look at your issue...but as it is the weekend their response to a ticket may take longer than usual so the above is an alterntive if yo are so minded, and it has been know to resolve this issue.

Anyway, hope that this helps in some way?

Regards

Baldrick 
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Welcome Batty! Baldrick May I add if you are on a Mac to follow these instructions as well? Heres A KB for Installing on a MacHere..

Uninstalling SecureAnywhere from a Mac

1.   Shut down SecureAnywhere by clicking the Webroot icon (green W) in the menu bar and selecting Shut Down SecureAnywhere.
2.   If prompted, confirm that you want to shut down SecureAnywhere.     
3.   Open the Finder by clicking the Finder icon in the dock.     
4.   Open the Applications directory.
5.   Click and drag the Webroot SecureAnywhere program icon into the Trash in the dock.
6.   A confirming window appears.  Click Uninstall.
7.   Webroot SecureAnywhere is now uninstalled.  There is no need to restart your computer.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@ wrote:
Hi Batty

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Further to Beth's sound advice about opening a Support Ticket, if yo are feeling confident with your own abilities you could, ahead of a reply to the ticket, try an uninstall/clean reinstall of WSA?

If that is of interest in then please do the following (assuming that you are running on a PC and not a Mac...if on a Mac then follow these instructions):

Download a new copy of the installer from here (if bought from Best Buy then from here), and then make sure that you have your keycode handy.  Also, if you have made any settings changes from the default then note them down as you will need to reapply...but hopefully like many of us you run with the main default settings...;)

Thereafter, uninstall WSA, REBOOT, install WSA using the newly downloaded version of the installer entering the keycode when asked (and do not accept any offer to import previous settings if offered by the installer), REBOOT...and then run a manual scan to see if you now get passed the 0% mark.

As Beth has said a Support Ticket is the best option as it gets the experts to look at your issue...but as it is the weekend their response to a ticket may take longer than usual so the above is an alterntive if yo are so minded, and it has been know to resolve this issue.

Anyway, hope that this helps in some way?

Regards

Baldrick 

Userlevel 7
Hi Sherry

But of course, thank you for the precision...from our Mac expert...:D  It is all about TEAMWORK!

Regards

Baldrick
Thanks for commenting, Baldrick and Sherry!

I'm trying to follow your instructions to uninstall/reinstall, but for some reason WSA won't uninstall? I am able to go to Control Panel and uninstall it, and get taken to a webpage saying that it was uninstalled, but when I rebooted my laptop it's still installed.

I'm running Windows 8.1 if that gives anything away.

Thanks for the support so far and I'm sorry things are being weird.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello Batty can you try this to uninstall?

From the Commandline or Run Dialog Copy and Paste this: "C:Program FilesWebrootWRSA.exe" –uninstall and that should uninstall it and then reboot and let us know how is goes! Also please see here: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/PC-Uninstallation-Option-Missing-from-Control-Panel-and-Start/ta-p/34688

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Hi Batty

EDIT: Drat...see that Daniel got there first...;)

Ok, that happens some times...you try uninstalling using an alternative method which is relatively easy if you are confident using the Windows CMD command.

If you are then open a CMD prompt and type in the follow command"

C:Program FilesWebrootWRSA.exe" –uninstall

and press Enter.  Enter the CAPTCHA code when prompted and all being well WSA should be uninstalled.  You may need to run the CMD prompt with elevated privileges...but try it first normally.

Let us know if that works for you.

Regards

Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi Batty

EDIT: Drat...see that Danielmgot there first...;)

Ok, that happens some times...you try uninstalling using an alternative method which is relatively easy if you are confident using the Windows CMD command.

If you are then open a CMD prompt and type in the follow command"

C:Program FilesWebrootWRSA.exe" –uninstall

and press Enter.  Enter the CAPTCHA code when prompted and all being well WSA should be uninstalled.  You may need to run the CMD prompt with elevated privileges...but try it first normally.

Let us know if that works for you.

Regards

Baldrick

:p  😃
Thank you for commenting, Daniel! Okay...so this is going to sound really weird but I'll try to describe exactly what happened when I tried to do that. I had my brother help me through it because he's better with this sort of stuff than I am.

We attempted the commandline uninstall but it wouldn't work, so my brother shut the program down completely by End Tasking it with Control+alt+delete. He tried to run the uninstall command again but all it did was reopen Webroot. He found out that Webroot was running 3 separate processes on the Task Manager (1 under apps and 2 under background processes) . He ended all three of them. Webroot ended up reopening itself moments after he did that, started an automatic scan, and now the scanning process is working? I did another manual scan after that automatic scan to test it and sure enough it's working now.

I am really sorry if that was confusing but I honestly have no idea what just happened myself, haha. We're kind of bewildered.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Can you try again this time in Safe Mode with Networking as it has to be connected to the Internet to uninstall or install properly.

Thanks,

Daniel

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

http://www.ricksdailytips.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/safe-mode-options.gif

So I should still try the reinstall? The scan function is working now which was the main problem (I even rebooted to see if it was a fluke and it's still working, I can get past the 0%), and admittedly it got fixed on accident it looks like. Did it have something to do with those extra processes going on on the task manager?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I would try a normal uninstall and reboot and install cleanly with this new installer after the install scan reboot once again just make sure you have a copy of your Keycode before and don't import any previous settings. And please let us know how it goes as it looks like the previous install got corrupted some how.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
So I should still try the reinstall? The scan function is working now which was the main problem (I even rebooted to see if it was a fluke and it's still working, I can get past the 0%), and admittedly it got fixed on accident it looks like. Did it have something to do with those extra processes going on on the task manager?
Hi Batty!

Is everything working ok now?  What processes do you have now in the task manager? Do you have a 64 bit system or 32 bit?

I have a 64 bit system and there are 2 processes for Webroot in the task manager under backfround processes.
 While you and your brother were attempting to uninstall, the process in task manager under apps may have been from the uninstall program.

I do suggest that you submit a support ticket and reference this thread by including this link https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Scan-function-not-working/td-p/134733

Hope to see you again soon in the community!

Beth

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello @ did you try a clean reinstall as I suggested here? Please let us know as it could help other Users & Members with this type of issue!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
So I heard from support that this is a bug that they are investigating.  The only workaround for now is to boot into safe mode, run a scan, then reboot into normal mode and the scan will work.  Please do contact support so that they can get this documented - the more instances they have of this happening, the easier it will be for them to track down what is causing it.
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
So I heard from support that this is a bug that they are investigating.  The only workaround for now is to boot into safe mode, run a scan, then reboot into normal mode and the scan will work.  Please do contact support so that they can get this documented - the more instances they have of this happening, the easier it will be for them to track down what is causing it.
Thank you Nic!

I am submitting a support ticket myself as it happened to me last week. In my case though, a hard boot did take care of it.

I'm so sorry for kinda falling out of the loop, everyone. I hadn't been able to find time to work at this issue some more until today. I really appreciate you all checking in on me.

I tried what Nic suggested before retrying the uninstall/reinstall process again and that seemed to do the trick. The scans are working smoothly. I'll put the ticket in to let support know about my instance.

Thanks so much to everyone who commented to help me out. I appreciate it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Glad that did the trick, and thanks for notifying support about it and letting us know the outcome.  I'll update everyone once I hear more about this particular bug.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Thank you for commenting, Daniel! Okay...so this is going to sound really weird but I'll try to describe exactly what happened when I tried to do that. I had my brother help me through it because he's better with this sort of stuff than I am.

We attempted the commandline uninstall but it wouldn't work, so my brother shut the program down completely by End Tasking it with Control+alt+delete. He tried to run the uninstall command again but all it did was reopen Webroot. He found out that Webroot was running 3 separate processes on the Task Manager (1 under apps and 2 under background processes) . He ended all three of them. Webroot ended up reopening itself moments after he did that, started an automatic scan, and now the scanning process is working? I did another manual scan after that automatic scan to test it and sure enough it's working now.

I am really sorry if that was confusing but I honestly have no idea what just happened myself, haha. We're kind of bewildered.
Just for info: You can't kill WRSA.exe processes because of WSA's self-protection. Also it has to be running and online to be able to uninstall correctly the same for installing or reinstalling it needs to talk to the Cloud during Install or Uninstall. Also because you were trying to kill the processes the third process spawned up again because they can't be killed, if it was that easy to kill then Malware would have a field day on your system so the reason for strong self-protection.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
this happend wednesday of this week to me. it started to scan for root kits and stopped at 1% of the scan. this went on from midnight to morning. i suspect that since webroot scans in the cloud and there was an outage at the time of webroot scan failure that this outage may have been something that interfered with the scan.  its just my thoughts.  now it works fine and acts like there wasnt anything wrong.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
this happend wednesday of this week to me. it started to scan for root kits and stopped at 1% of the scan. this went on from midnight to morning. i suspect that since webroot scans in the cloud and there was an outage at the time of webroot scan failure that this outage may have been something that interfered with the scan.  its just my thoughts.  now it works fine and acts like there wasnt anything wrong.
A patch came out yesterday to fix the issue, so that's why it stopped having the problem.
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
Welcome to the community zorp!

Thanks for your feedback!

Please do come back often and share your experiences with us!

Beth