Solved

scan is skipping over ROOTKIT.

Userlevel 1
it appears that my scan is skipping over ROOTKIT. goes from 11% to 71%. tried searching for these but know they are hard to find. any suggestions
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 18 April 2016, 00:54

View original

30 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello BruceHayhurst1

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

May I ask how do you know you have a Rootkit? And does Webroot complete it's scan (100%) Because it is normal for Webroot to jump though these scans. As explained here https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Scanning-PC-suspiciously-fast/m-p/6632#M214

Please have a look here as well https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/How-do-I-know-that-Webroot-is-working/ta-p/191121

If you are concerned about having a Rootkit then you can always Submit a Support Ticket free of charge witrh your active Webroot subscription. They will gladly check this out for you.
Userlevel 7
Hi BruceHayhurst1

Welcome to the Community Forums.

If I may just add here...please click on 'Adavnced Settings' (in the main app panel...top right hand corner) and then on the 'Scan Settings' tab and check the condition of the 'Enable rootkit detection' option.

It is possible that it may be 'Off'. If so then switch 'On' and retry your scan.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Rootkit is selected
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi there ,

Are you having any issues with Webroot scanning then?
Userlevel 1
I am havinging no issues except that the scan stops and 16, pauses, then jumps to 73 and ends at 100%. my husband thinks that there is somthing stopping the scan looking for rootkits. thank you for the "goto"

Lynn Hayhurst
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Lynn,

This is how Webroot scans...it is scanning correctly. If you had a Rootkit then Webroot would of told you of this threat. So Webroot is working properly.

But if you are still concerned then you can Submit that Support Ticket. 😉
Userlevel 1
has always been checked
Userlevel 1
since it has always been checked, just have ussues with itskipping them
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Lynn,

As long as Webroot is green and finishes the scan. You should be good to go. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
since it has always been checked, just have ussues with itskipping them
Hi Lynn Please read my first post about how Webroot Scans Suspiciously fast. My Webroot scans take around 20 seconds to scan..
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi again Lynn,

Please have a look at the PC User Guide here http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C2_Scanning/CH2a_RunningScan.htm

You can also check your Scan Logs by saving a Scan Log. http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C11_ReportsandViewers/CH11a_SavingScanLog.htm

Hope this helps?
Userlevel 7
Hello Lynn, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum.:D

I thought I had a problem with the scan skipping like you have. This is normal on some computers. My HP computer always scans with that skip. When this first started I put a Support Ticket in:

I can uninstall WSAC reboot and install it again - first scan and all other scans jump from 10% to 71%. My other 2 computers go through the whole scan without jumping like that. Tried with release version and beta version, same results.

Supports Answer:

This is normal for Windows 8 machines and computers using solid state drives. We have examined the logs and your scans appear to complete successfully. This also seems to be a fresh or clean install of Windows with very little excess files. Let us know if you need further assistance.
Sincerely,
The Webroot Support Team

My computer doesn't have solid state drives but it does skip, which is normal for some computers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thank you for the assistance ? I really appreciated that!!:D
Userlevel 7
Sorry, but I don't by that as (i) the Support Team specifically stated it is not done when SSDs are present, (ii) Dave does not have an SSD on his system & get no scan of rootkits & (iii) I do have an SDD on my system and I do see the rootkit scan taking place...not always but most of the time and my scans certainly do not jump from 16% straight to 71% as originally described.

Hence my view that there is something not right here and I am wondering if an uninstall/clean reinstall should be tried just to see if that makes a difference?

What do you guys think? Something is definitively not right here.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi ?,

Yes if you think that a uninstall/clean install is needed then it cannot hurt. That did come across my mind....but I have seen the jumps before but this is still possible that Webroot could have a faulty installation?

EDITED: We have had this issue posted before and seems to be normal. But again it doesn't hurt if ? would like to do a reinstall that only takes 5 minutes to do. Please let us know Lynn if you want to do this and we can give you exact instructions on how to reinstall.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Sorry, but I don't by that as (i) the Support Team specifically stated it is not done when SSDs are present, (ii) Dave does not have an SSD on his system & get no scan of rootkits & (iii) I do have an SDD on my system and I do see the rootkit scan taking place...not always but most of the time and my scans certainly do not jump from 16% straight to 71% as originally described.

Hence my view that there is something not right here and I am wondering if an uninstall/clean reinstall should be tried just to see if that makes a difference?

Regards, Baldrick
Good morning @, @, @

This skip has been happening since I bought my new computer and installed WSA. I have uninstalled and reinstalled many many times with release and beta version. I'm wondering if it's the make of the computer / processor / gb's.... My Toshiba does't do it i3 4Gb, but my HP does i7 12Gb. I'm going to put another Support Ticket in and send them logs to see what's going on because I know I'm not infected with malware. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Regards, Baldrick
Good morning @, @, @

This skip has been happening since I bought my new computer and installed WSA. I have uninstalled and reinstalled many many times with release and beta version. I'm wondering if it's the make of the computer / processor / gb's.... My Toshiba does't do it i3 4Gb, but my HP does i7 12Gb. I'm going to put another Support Ticket in and send them logs to see what's going on because I know I'm not infected with malware. ;)
Good Morning @,

Sounds like a plan but I've had this happen as well with my ol Gateway!
Userlevel 7
?, ?, ? I received an answer to my Support Ticket:

Hello,

The new Webroot product is revolutionary and unlike any other product: it does not rely on traditional definitions at all to make its determinations. The existence of any particular file is less of a concern than the file's behavior and how it interacts with your system. So only files that present risk are examined. It is normal for the Scan to suddenly jump to the end, if you simply don't have a lot of data that needs to be examined.

Please be assured that your computer's security is our primary concern and we will not cut any corners with our efforts to protect it. In fact, our new system is designed to protect you faster than any traditional security system. Since we do not rely on definitions we can identify threats on your system even if your computer is the very first to be infected by a new, previously unknown threat.

To learn more about Webroot SecureAnywhere, we recommend you view our videos and tutorials here.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

The Webroot Support Team

Well I guess the skip is normal. We got the answer from the people that know what's under the hood of Webroot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi ?,

Wow that was quick wasn't it? Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions or doubt in the matter by contacting Support! Greatly appreciated! 😉
Userlevel 7
Thanks Sherry. 28 hours on the weekend and answered on Sunday. Not bad at all. Weekdays it would probably be quicker. ;) 
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
....that's great for a weekend response time! 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Mine has always jumped from 10% to 71% during a scan.

Daniel ;)

WSA Scan Video
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Well I guess that's more settling then.... ;) 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Did you see the video 23 second scan! 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Did you see the video 23 second scan! :D
Yes Daniel! But I thought your Webroot scan was 10 sec. Mine is 23sec. LOLs